Broken Chain - what do I replace it with

G

::)I have a Peugeot Tandem, a alu MTB frame that has been made into a racing tandem with Campag Mirage at the back and Campy Altlanta wheels on it. Unconventional but a nice bike. We broke a chain today. After the fourth time today I packed it in and hiked home. What chain do I put on the bike, one shop says Shimano should stick to Derailleurs and I should buy a Sachs chain another say get a Campy chain and other talk about all other makes. I am confused :-/ :-/ :-/

WHAT CHAIN SHOULD GET ?????? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

The Campy C9 chain is default for your Mirage groupset, so either stick with that, or go with Sachs as a second choice.

Hi H. I'd say Vo2 is right on the ball. ( I run Sachs / Sram chains myself, but that's because I don't have any Campagnolo parts ).
Hey, a Peugot aluminium tandem! I thought only Cannondale made these. Strictly racing only, or do you do any touring on it? I've a tandem myself, a new frame, unpainted, with a 3 X 7 Sachs hub. Still saving for parts to complete it. Maybe next year :-(  We have an active and growing tandem club here in Melbourne. Here are some links which may be of interest:
 http://home.vicnet.net.au/%7etandem/  
 http://www.mindspring.com/~strauss/tca.html        
Regards.      

Hi Willie

I eventually got a SRAM chain (PC 59) old stock. I paid R98-00 for it after being quoted way over R200-00 at other stores for Sachs and Campy chains. My other tandem buddies are now jealous :-[ :-[and also say that the Sach and SRAM chains are made in the same factory, is that true ??? ???

My Puegeot is set up as a racing tandem and we have not yet had the chance to do touring with it. Would love to do it. I should know by early next week wether we will have the $$$RRR to buy the bike. The bike seems to have started life as an MTB,it has a centre pull brake in the back and the V-brake pivots are low for a MTB rim. It has a Shimano V brake up fornt and a Shimano Acera front derailleur. QUITE A MIX !!!!! The bike has Campy Atlanta rims with Continental 28C tyres on it. The hubs are Suntour and I have a nine speed Mirage with 56/48 chainrings up front. My wife and I will take part in the Argus tour in March (God willing)and we hope to do a sub 3 hour Argus. Puegeot in France do not know much about this tandem but the markings says Puegeot Classique 2000 Alu. All I have shown it to says it looks to be good quality and agree that the price seems to be good. Cheers for now while I sit in the corner and sulk about the cricket. :mad: :mad: ;D

Hi H. I haven't had time to follow the cricket - just been too busy at work and at home. Can relax for a few weeks now.
 I bought a Sachs chain today, for my son's old ten-speed bike. The shop didn't have the SC 40 chain, so I had to take the  38 instead. They make different 'models' of chains, some are for the 8 speed cogsets. The design of the side plates seems to vary between the models of chain. I think they all are made to Sach's new design, where they have dispensed with the bush which used to sit on the rivet pin under the roller. The roller now sits, or rotates, on the lips formed by the extrusion of the side plates. You might have to push out a rivet with a chain tool to see. The roller will be 'floating' loose, held in place only by the 'lips' of the side plates. It's a great idea, as it makes the chain more flexible sideways for better, smoother gear changes. I seem to have heard the term 'bushingless chain' somewhere, many years ago, so the idea may not be entirely new, only Sachs have done a good job of it. I like to use their PC 1 chain, 1/8", on my single speed and hub-geared bikes - it seems to have less friction, is very smooth, and at only A$10 each, it's excellent value.
 Sachs is/was one of the oldest cycle parts manufacturers in the world, if not the oldest, having started out late 19th century, and have numerous patents and clever ideas to their credit. In the sixties, the heir to the Sachs empire was a chap named Gunther Sachs, who married Brigette Bardot, lucky fellow.  Later they were owned by Mannesman AG, makers of overhead cranes etc, but about one or two years ago were sold to a U.S. company, SRAM, who were well-known for their range of grip shifters, and other parts.  Hence the range of Sachs parts is undergoing change/upgrade/etc, with new names and new marketing. For instance, the old 3 X 7 hub, 21 speed, has been re-designed, and is now known as the 'Dual Drive', because it has both derailleur and hub gears. (No, I don't recommend the Dual Drive for tandem use, but the 3 X 7 was O.K.). So it doesn't matter which factory makes the chains - it's all Sram now. Oops! I seem to have waffled on a bit much there, tsk tsk.
 I have vee-brake mounts on my tandem, and a Sachs front drum brake (the wheels are small). Couldn't get a drum brake on the 3x7 hub, and the rear disc option is quite expensive. I've since met a couple with a Bike Friday Tandem, and they had the factory set up an Arai drum brake on the 3x7 hub. They must have turned a r/h thread on the left shoulder of the hub. The Arai drum is commonly used as a 'drag' brake for downhill runs, often operated by  single friction gear lever on the bars. I'd like to operate both  my front brakes from the one lever, hopefully without the twin cable setup from the lever. Just as soon as I can work out a floating balance mechanism...balanced brakes, mechanical or hydraulic, have been around on some motorcycles for many years.
Cheers.