Broken clavicle anyone?

avidal

May 5, 2006
Hi guys,

I came off my bike and broke my collarbone 8 days ago in apparently 2 places, i'm the kind of guy that worries a lot, so here is a possible blindingly dumb question.

I'm only 17 an expect to heal fast, but if I support my right hand I can move my arm upwards, but if I try and do it with no assistance there is no chance of it moving as I feel a slight pain as i'm guessing the bone can't take the weight?? When can I expect to move it outwards with assistance from my left arm? The bone is very slightly overlapping.

avidal said:
Hi guys,

I came off my bike and broke my collarbone 8 days ago in apparently 2 places, i'm the kind of guy that worries a lot, so here is a possible blindingly dumb question.

I'm only 17 an expect to heal fast, but if I support my right hand I can move my arm upwards, but if I try and do it with no assistance there is no chance of it moving as I feel a slight pain as i'm guessing the bone can't take the weight?? When can I expect to move it outwards with assistance from my left arm? The bone is very slightly overlapping.
You need to let healing begin before worring about moving the arm, i.e. 4+ weeks. Luckily, these breaks heal relatively quickly and without complication, just as long as you give it a little time. Be patient. Ride a stationary bike to keep your fitness.

It's not a dumb question at all. Were they clean breaks? Did you have surgery? Do you have a GP looking after you? If so you should drill them for some answers.
The only advice I can give is that as soon as is possible, you get a GP or physio to give you some stuff to do for rehab. I was given a length of rope and a pulley by my physio and told to do these arm raises with a view to keeping the shoulder joint mobile. If you have the arm motionless for a few weeks you run the risk of the shoulder "freezing" up.
Oh and beg, borrow or steal a mag trainer and keep the k's up.
You are right about one thing, you're young and will bounce back in no time. I was mid 30s when i busted my collarbone. Looking back it seemed like months before I could get back on the road. I found my old diaries the other day and discovered that it was under 4 weeks and I was back riding and also swimming.
Once you do hit the road again, you might find climbing a bit of a strain, especially if you are prone to getting out of the saddle, so maybe keep to the flats (easier said than done in melbourne).
Good luck.

avidal said:
Hi guys,

It's not a dumb question at all. What you're feeling when you try to move the arm by itself is your deltoid muslce trying to compress the clavicle, which if the break is overlapping is really going to hurt like hell (I've been there). If there's a gap in the bone, it's going to take a few weeks to fill in. As the break heals you want to make sure you're moving your arm as much as you can without pain, but don't do any real lifting until your doctor clears you. It's going to get a little better every day, and with any luck you won't lose any range of motion.