I've never had a broken clavicle, but my brother had one and one of my sons had one. Neither required surgery. In general, unless there is a shattering of the bone or the fracture is compound, i.e. bone pierces the outer skin, surgery is rarely necessary in any type of fracture. Some clavicle fractures require nothing, others require immobilization. As for your X-ray, only a physician or radiologist is qualified to interpret the degree, danger of the fracture and subsequent treatment. However I would see an orthopedist for further evaluation - soon. This fracture looks as if it requires some manipulation to re-align it.

Been 3 years since I had the clavicle surgery and iam going in at the end of September to get the plate and screws removed

I have been have constant back pain in the opposite side of the surgery mostly in my lat muscle anytime I do anything that part of my body hurts a lot

also have pain in my trap and lat on the side of the surgery

was wondering if any of you guys that have had the surgery have had the same pain as me and if you ever figured out how to get ride of it and if any have had the plate removed if it helped at all

iam going to be on this site letting people know how it turns out after removal because I think this is the best site with info I have found thanks guys

lets see em said:
Been 3 years since I had the clavicle surgery and iam going in at the end of September to get the plate and screws removed

I have been have constant back pain in the opposite side of the surgery mostly in my lat muscle anytime I do anything that part of my body hurts a lot

also have pain in my trap and lat on the side of the surgery

was wondering if any of you guys that have had the surgery have had the same pain as me and if you ever figured out how to get ride of it and if any have had the plate removed if it helped at all

iam going to be on this site letting people know how it turns out after removal because I think this is the best site with info I have found thanks guys

sorry for the late answer, I don't read this thread so often anymore, just checking today.

well, I still have the plate inside and the problem I have is that I feel some kind of numbness in my front deltoid,
i will certainly have the hardware removed some time in the future.

after the surgery you should be careful for about 2 months until the holes mend too.
i remember a guy here saying that he had a second fracture in one of the holes, not the actual fracture point, when he made a sudden move, no impact at all, just a sudden move.
So for some weeks you are still very vulnerable.

good luck

A broken collarbone will most often heal on its own and, initially at least, cause no further issues.
I encourage anyone with this injury to discuss possible future issues with an orthopedic surgeon.
My collarbone was broken almost thirty years ago. It healed, I continued to lead a very physically active life. I am approaching sixty now, still very fit and active and certainly not ready to slow down. Now this old injury is causing lots of issues with pain/weakness and instability.
As always, your doctor/s should be your best advisers, but please raise the question.

Broke mine about 2 weeks ago taking a bad turn on the bike trail. Ortho doc says let it heal on it's own. I'm skeptical bone separation can join and heal. He says permanent bump, but surgery not recommended even though I favored it.

Anyone had similar separation?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    135.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Leave it to me to resurrect this old thread.

I'm approaching 5 years post op and have kept putting off the plate removal. I want to get it removed this Fall or Winter. Surgeon says it's all good that we waited this long, which was my primary concern now.

'lets see em' - how'd your removal go?

Anyone still check this thread?

Wanted to give an update and let you guys know I had the plate removed a couple of weeks ago and recovery has been incredibly easy compared to when it was put in. I'm already back to the gym the day after the stitches came out and using the arm for all daily activities just fine. Obviously going lighter on the upper body for 6 weeks or so but everything else is great. If any of you with your plates still in have any sort of issue and have been second guessing taking it out I'd say go for it ASAP and don't be afraid because of what you went through initially. It's nowhere near the same.

B

Anyone still check this thread?

Wanted to give an update and let you guys know I had the plate removed a couple of weeks ago and recovery has been incredibly easy compared to when it was put in. I'm already back to the gym the day after the stitches came out and using the arm for all daily activities just fine. Obviously going lighter on the upper body for 6 weeks or so but everything else is great. If any of you with your plates still in have any sort of issue and have been second guessing taking it out I'd say go for it ASAP and don't be afraid because of what you went through initially. It's nowhere near the same.

B
That sounds great! I'm sure you'll recover back and become better from this experience. Keep on working and hopefully you do not experience any limitations on your range of motion.