Broken Clavicle Therapy

Curb

Oct 24, 2007
Has anyone recently broken or had surgery on their clavicle? I broke mine this sept 5 2007 and looking for someone who has gone through Physical Therapy to get their opinion. I have a metal Ti plate with 6 screws. had he arm in a sling for 6 weeks. Range of motion is there but it hurts when lifting the are up in certian points. is that normal?

Curb said:
Has anyone recently broken or had surgery on their clavicle? I broke mine this sept 5 2007 and looking for someone who has gone through Physical Therapy to get their opinion. I have a metal Ti plate with 6 screws. had he arm in a sling for 6 weeks. Range of motion is there but it hurts when lifting the are up in certian points. is that normal?

Did you ask your doc or PT? It's likely that is normal. I broke my right clavicle in 4 places. It hurt. Physical therapy hurt, and for a while after the bone had completely healed, sleeping on my right side hurt. I had extensive, very aggressive physical therapy that was exceedingly unfun.

When you break things, they hurt. Having been through in excess of 80 fractures, I know that each case is usually unique and not necessarily a predictor for other fractures or the experiences of other people.

The only thing that can be said with any certainty is that if you get a doc that prescribes Oxycontin and Percodan at the same time, you should be very happy.

Thanks aleinantor. You're probably right. Just dont want the PT guy to do anymore damage than necessary.

He's really forcing the range of motion in my arm but i suppose that's the way it is.

alienator said:
Did you ask your doc or PT? It's likely that is normal. I broke my right clavicle in 4 places. It hurt. Physical therapy hurt, and for a while after the bone had completely healed, sleeping on my right side hurt. I had extensive, very aggressive physical therapy that was exceedingly unfun.

When you break things, they hurt. Having been through in excess of 80 fractures, I know that each case is usually unique and not necessarily a predictor for other fractures or the experiences of other people.

The only thing that can be said with any certainty is that if you get a doc that prescribes Oxycontin and Percodan at the same time, you should be very happy.

Curb said:
Thanks aleinantor. You're probably right. Just dont want the PT guy to do anymore damage than necessary.

He's really forcing the range of motion in my arm but i suppose that's the way it is.

A couple things to keep in mind:
  1. An orthopod long ago told me to make sure to take the pain killers that he prescribed because they would allow a patient to work a bit better in PT, as well as manage pain after PT.
  2. PT doesn't have to move at a constant rate. If things are too rough, talk to the PT so that things can be slowed down. PT works best when the PT and the patient work together, communicate, and adjust things as needed.

Yes, you make sense. this past wed and fri was the first day of aggressive PT after the dr release me from the sling after 6 week. this past sarurday and part of sunday morning my arm was hurting. I will talk to the PT guy tomorrow.

BTW, that picture of you...it's scary! :)

Thanks again Alienator

alienator said:
A couple things to keep in mind:
  1. An orthopod long ago told me to make sure to take the pain killers that he prescribed because they would allow a patient to work a bit better in PT, as well as manage pain after PT.
  2. PT doesn't have to move at a constant rate. If things are too rough, talk to the PT so that things can be slowed down. PT works best when the PT and the patient work together, communicate, and adjust things as needed.