Broken Cleats

G

On my way home from work last night both my Look cleats broke within a km :eek:

The whole back section of the right cleat snapped off and the left one cracked through the middle but was still attached. Okay they weren't even nearly new but not completely worn out either. I managed to ride home.

This was only my second ride since the race on Sunday. I guess I must've weakened the left one a bit when I pulled my foot out the pedal during that incident. I'm glad it held for the duration of the race.

What are the chances of that happening?

Remember that kid at your marquee on Sunday? Well, ever since that kid decided to see if he can break my rear deraullier cable, my gear shifting seems to be stuffed. :mad:

Yes that kid was a little terrorist :mad:

Make sure that the small section of cable covering is seated properly in the lug on the chainstay before you start trying to fine tune the gears.

If that's not the problem get it to a bike shop asap. It should be a 2 minute job to fix.

On my way home from work last night both my Look cleats broke within a km  :eek:

The whole back section of the right cleat snapped off and the left one cracked through the middle but was still attached. Okay they weren't even nearly new but not completely worn out either. I managed to ride home.

This was only my second ride since the race on Sunday. I guess I must've weakened the left one a bit when I pulled my foot out the pedal during that incident. I'm glad it held for the duration of the race.

What are the chances of that happening?
Yup lucky it didn't happen on RaceDay ;)

Similar story during Cresta Midwinter Ride, Right at the start of the race... I'm drafting a guy down that first steep downhill from Ruimsig... He notices me and decides he's gonna pull a downhill version of Lance Armstrongs mountain breakaway... He stands up to give it a real hard push and SNAP, right foot exits pedal at speed and hits ground :eek: (We're doing about 45-50kph) he bounces into the air, left foot still connected to bike and lands with right hamstring over saddle!! Needless to say, his breakaway didn't work so beeg. Last I saw he was pulling to the side of the road looking decidedly pale ::)

Hope it never happens to me :-/

I have a friend who regularly breaks pedals, pedal axles, handlebars etc. :eek: he's just so hard on bikes.

The friend I was talking about sheared off his pedal axle during a bunch sprint. Actually he also snapped off the handlebars during a bunch sprint too. ;D

Geez, remind me not to have this dude borrow my bike! ;D