broken collar bone

Roche

Apr 2, 2003
d'oh. left-handed typing here. doc says 4 weeks in a sling. im an impatient athlete. would 3 weeks do?
can anybody recommend dietry supplents that may help the recovery process? im taking calcium.
any suggestions for a speedy recovery?
cheers.

Originally posted by Roche
d'oh. left-handed typing here. doc says 4 weeks in a sling. im an impatient athlete. would 3 weeks do?
can anybody recommend dietry supplents that may help the recovery process? im taking calcium.
cheers.

Rest. Get out those videos of the 1994 Tour de France!

Eat plenty of decent food to maximize recovery. (Not sure if taking calcium supps will speed up healing process.....but can't hurt)

When I broke mine, 4 weeks exactly to first training ride. Doctor said he could have inserted pins/plate for a two week break, but there is real possibilty for nerve damage. Better to go natural for the sake of 2 weeks.

Long time listener, first time caller!

I broke my left collarbone and fractured my scapula on May 1. The crash snapped my Profile BSC fork right off. The doctor told me that for everything to completely heal it will take 12 weeks! However, he has allowed me to ride the trainer from day one, which I have done religiously and with the sling on. I see the doctor on monday and hopefully will be cleared to ride on the road. My advice is to follow your doctor's advice! Take care and be patient. Good luck!

My husband broke his collarbone-12 weeks in a sling with electric impulse treatment to speed recovery. TAKE IT EASY-BE PATIENT-
American Sensei

Get out the trainer or go to the local gym and do spin classes. I know this is boring during the season but in order to keep your current conditioning this is a must. When you feel you are ready go out and try it out but suggest to stick to what the Doc tells you. 4 weeks after breaking mine I was back racing but still sore for the rest of the season. Take your vitiamins drink lots of beer and smile you'll be back before you know it.

cheers.

How has your recovery been. I just broke my left collerbone this week? Did you use your trainer?

its been 3 and a half weeks and im going back to the hospital tomorrow week(29th) for more x-rays and hopefully all will be healed. i was on the anti-inflamatry's and pain killers for about a week and a half and the pain was pretty much gone. i had 1 or 2 bad nights sleep and aggrevated it a little but its hasnt been too bad.
As for trying to stay fit, i joined a local gym for 2 weeks just to keep the legs going and theres a hydrotherapy pool there too that supposed to be good for it. jacuzzi etc. I've also used the sauna...that can get the HR going. in the gym they have the bikes where you sit like your in a chair so your not leaning forward having the shoulder hanging forward. i didnt really feel too comfirtable on the rollers, i only did them once.
Also, id recommend taking off the sling to keep your elbow mobile, straightening the arm. you might have to support it with your other hand. this way you elbow wont be seized if you havent used it for 4 weeks.
best of luck with the recovery, its more just frustrating than anything else i think.

cheers.

I broke my humerous where it attaches to my shoulder on May 26th. The doctor at the hospital said 12 weeks recovery and made an appointment with the orthopedist for two weeks later. For the first week I did nothing but rest, then by week two I began riding an exercise bike. At week 3 the orthopedist would allow me on the hybrid (not the road bike because of the weight you place on your arms). Now, at week 4 1/2 I am biking about 250 a week on the hybrid. I am eating well and taking 1200 mg of calcium a day. The orthopedist thinks that by 6 weeks I should pretty much be able to resume all my activities but that it will still take the full 12 weeks to completely heal. GOOD LUCK!