broken collarbone question

catzz66

Guest
Crashed out about a year ago and broke the collarbone at the joint close
to the middle of my chest and it is still not fixed in place almost 12
months later. They could not do a pin, because there was nothing to pin
it to. It has not hurt and I have ridden most days since I got a cast
off of my arm. Was just curious if anyone has had a similar experience.
The collarbone does not hurt, but I'm thinking that I might need to
have some kind of surgery to get it to heal, now that a year has gone by
and it is still not healed.

<snippage of collarbone q's>

About 10 months ago for me. Still broken. Ortho surgeon said, after a
conclusive CT scan, that it was still broken but it may never bother
me. "Give it some time and see if you have intolerable issues" she
said. Did some work on my deck (swinging 16' 2x8 green-treated around)
last fall and didn't have issues. Shoveled compost for 30 minutes two
weeks ago and *suffered* from it.

Gonna have the surgery - cut out the piece in the middle (mine broke
into three pieces) and take a chunk outta my hip and put it into my
collarbone and then screw a plate across the whole works.

Probably this fall. Are you having pain? I believe that if you have
full use of your upper body, without unacceptable pain, there is no
reason to have surgery. The key is determining what is acceptable and
whether you can afford the surgery.

D'ohBoy

D'ohBoy wrote:
> <snippage of collarbone q's>
>
> About 10 months ago for me. Still broken. Ortho surgeon said, after a
> conclusive CT scan, that it was still broken but it may never bother
> me. "Give it some time and see if you have intolerable issues" she
> said. Did some work on my deck (swinging 16' 2x8 green-treated around)
> last fall and didn't have issues. Shoveled compost for 30 minutes two
> weeks ago and *suffered* from it.
>
> Gonna have the surgery - cut out the piece in the middle (mine broke
> into three pieces) and take a chunk outta my hip and put it into my
> collarbone and then screw a plate across the whole works.
>
> Probably this fall. Are you having pain? I believe that if you have
> full use of your upper body, without unacceptable pain, there is no
> reason to have surgery. The key is determining what is acceptable and
> whether you can afford the surgery.
>
> D'ohBoy

No pain at all, believe it or not. When I first went to the doctor for
the other things they did fix, they said if they pinned the collarbone
(they couldn't because the joint underneath was also fractured), I would
still probably have a knot unless they did what you are describing which
meant a much longer recovery. At the time, I had a broken arm and some
cracked ribs and the collarbone was the least of my worries. I'm going
back for another consultation pretty soon, and will follow up on it. My
personal feeling is that it will probably eventually stabilize and I
will just have a knot on my chest, which is no big deal.