Broken Collarbone

PartisanRanger

Dec 1, 2005
I crashed in a recent race and landed hard on my shoulder, fracturing my right clavicle. There's disunion between the two bone segments so I might need surgery, but for those of you who have had this kind of injury, how long was it before you got on a bike? The doctors are saying 6-8 weeks but I'm thinking I'd go nuts staying off the bike for that long.

Maybe some time on a home trainer could make up for the lost time on the road. It must be possible to reduce the stress on the collarbone in that way.

Hope you get well sooner than expected!

PartisanRanger said:
I crashed in a recent race and landed hard on my shoulder, fracturing my right clavicle. There's disunion between the two bone segments so I might need surgery, but for those of you who have had this kind of injury, how long was it before you got on a bike? The doctors are saying 6-8 weeks but I'm thinking I'd go nuts staying off the bike for that long.

Broken on 5/5/07 (Saturday), surgery on Tuesday morning, back on the trainer on the Thursday, 2nd place 20km ITT on the following Sunday. Every break is different though, I was very lucky.

I strongly recommend reading all of this thread: http://www.cyclingforums.com/t-133419-15-1.html

My story and x-rays starts on page 20.

good luck!

Lama

gplama said:
Broken on 5/5/07 (Saturday), surgery on Tuesday morning, back on the trainer on the Thursday, 2nd place 20km ITT on the following Sunday. Every break is different though, I was very lucky.

I strongly recommend reading all of this thread: http://www.cyclingforums.com/t-133419-15-1.html

My story and x-rays starts on page 20.

good luck!

Lama
Thanks for the reply! That thread is a good resource, and it was interesting to look at your before and after x-rays. I actually had surgery yesterday in which a pin was inserted to connect the disunified bone segments. I'm a little sore now but I can already tell that I'll be feeling better very soon.

I also just crashed recently and have a ruptured AC joint connected to the clavicle. I will have a large bump on my shoulder from now on. Recovery about six weeks. It depends on your age. Can't type much though. Broken finger on one side. Sling on the other.

Mikek3 said:
I also just crashed recently and have a ruptured AC joint connected to the clavicle. I will have a large bump on my shoulder from now on. Recovery about six weeks. It depends on your age. Can't type much though. Broken finger on one side. Sling on the other.
That's tough, man. Here's to hoping recovery is quick.

Oh boy. Anything like this your body will decide, not you. It can be frustrating if you are use to doing certain things and you can't physically do it. Eventually it all comes back if you get right back at it.

Man take the time to heal properly.
Taking an extra month or two or three is better then a lifetime of pain and chance of re-injury.