broken foot

Styler

Dec 1, 2003
i managed to break my heel 10 weeks ago. it's been screwed and plated back together, and i'm going to be able to start putting weight through it in the next few weeks. the prospect of cycling (albeit in a limited way) seems like it will be a lot easier and less painful than walking, because impact is what's going to make it hurt.

has anyone on here broken their heel/talus/ankle etc, and how long did it take before they were back on their bike?

Originally posted by Styler
i managed to break my heel 10 weeks ago. it's been screwed and plated back together, and i'm going to be able to start putting weight through it in the next few weeks. the prospect of cycling (albeit in a limited way) seems like it will be a lot easier and less painful than walking, because impact is what's going to make it hurt.

has anyone on here broken their heel/talus/ankle etc, and how long did it take before they were back on their bike?
During a cross country race I sprained my ankle like no other. I was sprinting the last 800 m and managed to slip on a walnut!!!ACK I was mad. Then I got up and finished sprinting.Got a nice bruise for it and docs thought it was fractured cuz it took so long to get better.It took me about 5 weeks before i could pedal once I was released. To say the least clipping in and out wasn't fun at all.

Styler
I broke my ankle in July, got it fixed up by cementing my ankle together and having a 2 and a half inch screw put in. It came about from a soccer injury, been told i won't been running much from now on, hence i have got into cycling.
I had a cast on for 12 weeks, at the end of the 12 weeks i was told i could start cycling straight away, didn't like the idea so i waited a couple of weeks. Cycle everyday now and the ankles feelin really good.
Just start when you feel your capable. Good luck!
Steve

Try a cycletrainer first , a few years ago I had a problem with sciatica that left me unable to climb stairs for months , nerve damage and atrophy of the musculature of my ( it would be wouldn´t it ) bad leg ( polio ) .
A trainer will mean you can stop the moment a problem develops (ie pain ) rather than have to ride home causing more trouble in the process or risking a hard impact with the road when putting a foot down in a traffic incident ( like the driver who thinks indicators are for sissys , and colour blind to boot )

Get well soon , and remember the rule of rehab : Make haste slowly , only do a little more than you can . Don´t rush it !

that's exactly what i've been thinking actually. nice low gear and high cadence on a trainer... it's so cold and wet in the UK at the moment i don't think i'll miss the road too much!