Broken fork

rparedes

Jul 21, 2007
Broke carbon fork; looking for replacement. Would a 45mm rake be OK?
I think the factory Giant fork is 43 mm?

Bike: Giant TCR composite- large

Thanks in advance!

rparedes said:

Yes, a fork with a 45mm rake will work well for you in almost every situation as a replacement for a fork which has a 43mm rake.

rparedes said:

Thanks in advance!

It will 'work' but will change the handling a wee bit, as it will reduce the trail of the bike. Why not get a 43mm rake fork.

Peter@vecchios said:
It will 'work' but will change the handling a wee bit, as it will reduce the trail of the bike. Why not get a 43mm rake fork.

It just seems that the 45 mm forks are more readily available for a decent price (ebay and such); at least right now...

so the bigger the rake number the shorter the bike's trail ??
( I thought it was the other way around...)

youhaditcoming said:
so the bigger the rake number the shorter the bike's trail ??
( I thought it was the other way around...)

That's my understanding. The bigger the rake (or offset), the less distance from steerer axis to vertical projection of wheel axle to ground, so the trail is shorter....

Rake is actually the angle the head tube makes with the vertical, the term is mostly misused. It's hard to imagine that 2mm difference in the offset will make an enormous difference, but why not pay a few more dollars and get 43mm?

The bigger the offset, the smaller the trail, the twitchier the handling.

rparedes said:
It just seems that the 45 mm forks are more readily available for a decent price (ebay and such); at least right now...

Haven't checked but when we looked for a 45mm fork for a Pegoretti, since Dario insists on that one, we had a much tougher time finding a 45mm one than many 43mm ones...

artemidorus said:
Rake is actually the angle the head tube makes with the vertical, the term is mostly misused. It's hard to imagine that 2mm difference in the offset will make an enormous difference, but why not pay a few more dollars and get 43mm?

The bigger the offset, the smaller the trail, the twitchier the handling.

Rake is the distance from extended parallel lines from the fork legs and a parallel line that goes thru the dropout. I think you are thinking of trail.

http://www.dclxvi.org/chunk/tech/trail

http://davesbikeblog.blogspot.com/2007/05/trail-fork-rake-and-little-bit-of.html

Peter@vecchios said:
Rake is the distance from extended parallel lines from the fork legs and a parallel line that goes thru the dropout. I think you are thinking of trail.

http://www.dclxvi.org/chunk/tech/trail

http://davesbikeblog.blogspot.com/2007/05/trail-fork-rake-and-little-bit-of.html
I'm sorry, but you have fallen for the usual misuse of an old term. You are defining the offset. Rake is the the complementary angle of the head tube angle, the angle made by the head tube compared to the vertical. Exactly the same definition applies to the masts of sailing vessels.
Trail, as I'm sure you know, is a different thing again, which can be derived if you know the rake, the offset, and the wheel radius.

Many people define the correctness of language as that which is used by the majority, in which case you are now correct and I am wrong. But that wouldn't be any good for pedants like me, would it?

artemidorus said:
I'm sorry, but you have fallen for the usual misuse of an old term. You are defining the offset. Rake is the the complementary angle of the head tube angle, the angle made by the head tube compared to the vertical. Exactly the same definition applies to the masts of sailing vessels.
Trail, as I'm sure you know, is a different thing again, which can be derived if you know the rake, the offset, and the wheel radius.

Many people define the correctness of language as that which is used by the majority, in which case you are now correct and I am wrong. But that wouldn't be any good for pedants like me, would it?

Nobody is 'right or wrong', not my point. Just trying to help the OP out, not looking for an argument.