Broken glass on Cincinnati roads

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Dr. Phil Is Weird, Apr 17, 2004.

  1. Anyone else notice this?

    Roadways and sidewalks in and around Cincinnati seem to be covered with
    broken glass, and nobody ever seems to clean it up.

    Particularly problematic lately is the area along US 50 from Mill Creek
    to Anderson Ferry. There's at least one glass pile that's been there for
    several weeks and hasn't been cleared away.

    As a result of this, I have had 4 flat tires in the past 10 days. I'm
    getting damn sick of having to buy new inner tubes all the time, and I
    am seriously considering billing the state, county, and city for
    damages.

    I strongly suspect somebody is intentionally dumping glass there,
    because there's never actually any glass in the middle of the roadways.
    Instead the glass is always on the sides of the roads where bikes are
    most likely to be.

    Tags:

  2. Ben Pfaff

    Ben Pfaff Guest

    [email protected] (Dr. Phil Is Weird) writes:

    > Roadways and sidewalks in and around Cincinnati seem to be covered with
    > broken glass, and nobody ever seems to clean it up.
    >
    > Particularly problematic lately is the area along US 50 from Mill Creek
    > to Anderson Ferry. There's at least one glass pile that's been there for
    > several weeks and hasn't been cleared away.

    Have you reported it to whoever is responsible for clearing it
    up? If, as you say, it is in the part of the road mostly used by
    bikes, it seems to me like it could have been overlooked.
    --
    Ben Pfaff
    email: [email protected]

  3. alan

    alan Guest

    Motor vehicle tires sweep the travel lane free of glass and debris. It
    collects on the shoulder and to a lesser extent, out at the centerline.
    Just ride in the right hand tire track.

    --

    alan

    Anyone who believes in a liberal media has never read the "Daily Oklahoman."

    "Dr. Phil Is Weird" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Anyone else notice this?
    >

    > I strongly suspect somebody is intentionally dumping glass there,
    > because there's never actually any glass in the middle of the roadways.
    > Instead the glass is always on the sides of the roads where bikes are
    > most likely to be.

  4. Dane Jackson

    Dane Jackson Guest

    Dr. Phil Is Weird <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Anyone else notice this?
    >
    > Roadways and sidewalks in and around Cincinnati seem to be covered with
    > broken glass, and nobody ever seems to clean it up.

    Mental note: Make sure to pack a good patch-kit for my trip next
    month to Cincinnati.

    > I strongly suspect somebody is intentionally dumping glass there,
    > because there's never actually any glass in the middle of the roadways.
    > Instead the glass is always on the sides of the roads where bikes are
    > most likely to be.

    Well, as someone else mentioned, that more likely due the sweeping
    effect from car tires. More telling is when there is smashed bottle
    glass at the entrance/exit to MUP's and such. There should be special
    place reserved for people like this. [1]

    [1] Cersrenoyl hcfvqr qbja va n zhq-cvg jvgu gur (va)nccebcevngr
    bevsvprf wnzzrq jvgu yrrpurf.

    --
    Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
    IBM Advanced Systems Group -- a bunch of mindless jerks, who'll be first

  5. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 10:11:56 -0700, Dane Jackson <[email protected]>
    wrote:
    >There should be special
    >place reserved for people like this. [1]
    >
    >[1] Cersrenoyl hcfvqr qbja va n zhq-cvg jvgu gur (va)nccebcevngr
    >bevsvprf wnzzrq jvgu yrrpurf.

    The leeches should be very large, too.
    --
    Rick Onanian