Broken Hand and workouts

Buckeyes

Dec 17, 2009
A couple months ago I wrecked my mountain bike in NC and popped my shoulder out. No surgery but I couldn't swim so my tri hopes were out the window. I decided to work up to distance races and the marathon in Columbus OH. Bad news this last weekend I took a spill and broke my hand. I was wondering if training with a cast is possible as far as sweat and what i can only imagine is a terrible odor after a couple workouts. I was going to keep running outside and get my miles indoor on the trainer. Any ideas on how to keep it dry or smelling normal also has anyone else trained with a cast?

Broken bones are Nature's way of saying "cool it for a while".

I recall my older brother, gung-ho at eighteen, got cracked up on his motorcycle,
t-boned by an elderly driver. His leg was busted like a stick, bone protruding,
and it was pinned back together by an orthopedic surgeon. He lost a half inch
of height from the one leg.

Some months later, before the pin was removed, he got run over by his own VW camper,
a freak accident, he left it in gear, on a slope, did not set the brake.
The air-cooled engine, on cooling-off, let the VW bus begin rolling down the slope.

Ken dashed for his vehicle, swung into the cab, but missed his step, bum leg,
fell to the ground, and the VW -gallumphed over that previously busted leg again.

Another surgery to replace the bent stainless pin in his leg bone,
and now, forty years later he has a leg fully three quarters of an inch short.

Do you know the Law of Compensation (it's an old law of nature)]

The Law of Compensation

IF a man has one leg shorter,
well, the other leg is bound to be longer.

You could adopt a cruiser bike for a spell and ride one handed.
You can still train, at 12 mph instead of twenty, and not wrack your broken hand from healing.

Beware the bumps, and avoid the fatal VW galumph

Ah, propane helps me to remember. Thread starter, it does not matter what you do,
that confined area will smell like old **** when the cast is removed. The doctors all know that.
I recall now (via propane) when my broken wrist cast was removed by Dr. Weiland in 1960.
He used an electrical circular saw, and then cracked open the cast. My six-year-old skin,
covered for some six weeks, was red and it stank until it was washed. Our skin always exudes
waste products, and if the skin is confined, it will make old socks smell like roses in comparison.

I ride my cruiser bike with one hand all the time. I'm in flat territory, three speeds are fine for 15MPH max.
This is much more fun than an indoor trainer, and a lot more dangerous, grin,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMuOM8tMBUI

Oh, I remember the odor was so awful, and I was embarrassed but Dr. Weiland
helped me by saying that was the same for everybody, and he took me to the sink
and with green liquid soap, he washed my tender arm and wrist and smiled into my face, for love.