broken leg - recovery period experience ?

Carlos Fandango

Guest
Hi,

Following a road accident, I've been in paster for 2 weeks and expect to stay this way for another
3-4 weeks.

Whilst in the position, I've watched my leg wither away. Following 6 weeks of inactivity, how long
might it take to get the muscles back to full strength/size ?

I'm not allowed any load bearing movement ie standing on it, but everything else seems ok. What
exercises can I do to minimise the losses and speed up the recovery period once the cast is off ?

TIA

"Carlos Fandango" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> Following a road accident, I've been in paster for 2 weeks and expect to stay this way for another
> 3-4 weeks.
>
> Whilst in the position, I've watched my leg wither away. Following 6 weeks of inactivity, how long
> might it take to get the muscles back to full strength/size ?

After a broken foot last spring I was back on my bike as soon as my cast came off - it was easier to
ride than to walk. Took about two months before I felt normal again, but I guess that depends on
your fitness level before the accident...

> I'm not allowed any load bearing movement ie standing on it, but everything else seems ok. What
> exercises can I do to minimise the losses and speed up the recovery period once the cast is off ?

Leg raises? As soon as I was allowed on crutches I did as much exercise as I could to minimise time
spent off the bike.

> TIA

Hope you recover soon,

Steve.

Carlos Fandango murmured while asleep:
> Hi,
>
> Following a road accident, I've been in paster for 2 weeks and expect to stay this way for another
> 3-4 weeks.
>
> Whilst in the position, I've watched my leg wither away. Following 6 weeks of inactivity, how long
> might it take to get the muscles back to full strength/size ?
>
> I'm not allowed any load bearing movement ie standing on it, but everything else seems ok. What
> exercises can I do to minimise the losses and speed up the recovery period once the cast is off ?
>
> TIA

what does your doc say?

Carlos Fandango wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Following a road accident, I've been in paster for 2 weeks and expect to stay this way for another
> 3-4 weeks.
>
> Whilst in the position, I've watched my leg wither away. Following 6 weeks of inactivity, how long
> might it take to get the muscles back to full strength/size ?
>
> I'm not allowed any load bearing movement ie standing on it, but everything else seems ok. What
> exercises can I do to minimise the losses and speed up the recovery period once the cast is off ?

The potential problem with any exercise of that leg is that the muscles may pull the healing bone
out of alignment. You really *really* need to talk to your doctor before starting any sort of
exercise program for that leg.

Kathleen

"Carlos Fandango" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> Following a road accident, I've been in paster for 2 weeks and expect to stay this way for another
> 3-4 weeks.
>
> Whilst in the position, I've watched my leg wither away. Following 6 weeks of inactivity, how long
> might it take to get the muscles back to full strength/size ?
>
> I'm not allowed any load bearing movement ie standing on it, but everything else seems ok. What
> exercises can I do to minimise the losses and speed up the recovery period once the cast is off ?
>
> TIA

It's been my experience, that the leg will go back to "normal" before you know it as soon as you
start using it ... although in all fairness, it happened to me when I was much younger.

Ask your doctor too. It's hard to say without knowing how bad the injury was, where the injury was
located, what muscles are involved ... oh yeah, and some kinda fancy doctoring degree would help (c:

C.Q.C.