broken leg - recovery period experience ?

• Thread starter Carlos Fandango
  • Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
Year ago I broke my lower leg and had it pinned together. After about three weeks I started riding
my bicycle (the cast came up to just below my knee) The exercise was nice because there was no
impacts or jarring. The best part was that when the cast was removed, I hopped off the table and
walked away with no atrophy of the muscles or weakness in that leg. Check with your doctor and
follow his instructions though. Mine was nice enough to put on a water-proof cast so I could shower
after my exercise.

Good luck - hope it heals quickly and completely

"Carlos Fandango" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> Following a road accident, I've been in paster for 2 weeks and expect to stay this way for another
> 3-4 weeks.
>
> Whilst in the position, I've watched my leg wither away. Following 6 weeks of inactivity, how long
> might it take to get the muscles back to full strength/size ?
>
> I'm not allowed any load bearing movement ie standing on it, but everything else seems ok. What
> exercises can I do to minimise the losses and speed up the recovery period once the cast is off ?
>
> TIA
>
> C

Year ago I broke my lower leg and had it pinned together. After about three weeks I started riding
my bicycle (the cast came up to just below my knee) The exercise was nice because there was no
impacts or jarring. The best part was that when the cast was removed, I hopped off the table and
walked away with no atrophy of the muscles or weakness in that leg. Check with your doctor and
follow his instructions though. Mine was nice enough to put on a water-proof cast so I could shower
after my exercise.

Good luck - hope it heals quickly and completely

"Carlos Fandango" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> Following a road accident, I've been in paster for 2 weeks and expect to stay this way for another
> 3-4 weeks.
>
> Whilst in the position, I've watched my leg wither away. Following 6 weeks of inactivity, how long
> might it take to get the muscles back to full strength/size ?
>
> I'm not allowed any load bearing movement ie standing on it, but everything else seems ok. What
> exercises can I do to minimise the losses and speed up the recovery period once the cast is off ?
>
> TIA
>
> C

"Vincent Wilcox" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> If you've got a full leg cast theres not much you can do. I used to tense my calves and try and
> move it as much as possible but it's pretty frustrating. If I were you forget about doing to much
> and use the time productively to catch up on all that great literature you've missed or those
> films you could never get round to seeing.

Rear window?

cheers, clive

> If you've got a full leg cast theres not much you can do. I used to tense my calves and try and
> move it as much as possible but it's pretty frustrating. If I were you forget about doing to much
> and use the time productively to catch up on all that great literature you've missed or those

Rear window?

cheers, clive

Whatever you have broken you can:

1) Wiggle your toes as much, and as often as possible.
2) Tense & relax your calf muscles
3) Tense & relax your thigh muscles
4) Lift your leg in the air, keeping the knee as it is, hold it up, and repeat.

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected] Edgware.

Rear window?

cheers, clive

--

--

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 21:31:39 -0800, "LET" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Year ago I broke my lower leg and had it pinned together. After about three weeks I started riding
>my bicycle (the cast came up to just below my knee) The exercise was nice because there was no
>impacts or jarring. The best part was that when the cast was removed, I hopped off the table and
>walked away with no atrophy of the muscles or weakness in that leg. Check with your doctor and
>follow his instructions though. Mine was nice enough to put on a water-proof cast so I could shower
>after my exercise.
>

I've often wondered whether, if I broke my leg, if they'd be able to build an SPD cleat into
the cast ;-)

Jason

>Year ago I broke my lower leg and had it pinned together. After about three weeks I started riding
>my bicycle (the cast came up to just below my knee) The exercise was nice because there was no
>impacts or jarring. The best part was that when the cast was removed, I hopped off the table and
>walked away with no atrophy of the muscles or weakness in that leg. Check with your doctor and
>follow his instructions though. Mine was nice enough to put on a water-proof cast so I could shower
>after my exercise.
>

I've often wondered whether, if I broke my leg, if they'd be able to build an SPD cleat into
the cast ;-)

Jason

>after my exercise.
>

the cast ;-)

Jason

Clive George wrote:
> "Vincent Wilcox" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>
>>If you've got a full leg cast theres not much you can do. I used to tense my calves and try and
>>move it as much as possible but it's pretty frustrating. If I were you forget about doing to much
>>and use the time productively to catch up on all that great literature you've missed or those
>>films you could never get round to seeing.
>
>
> Rear window?
>
> cheers, clive
>
>

lol.

The bone collector?

Clive George wrote:
> "Vincent Wilcox" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>
>>If you've got a full leg cast theres not much you can do. I used to tense my calves and try and
>>move it as much as possible but it's pretty frustrating. If I were you forget about doing to much
>>and use the time productively to catch up on all that great literature you've missed or those
>
>
> Rear window?
>
> cheers, clive
>
>

lol.

The bone collector?

Clive George wrote:
>
>
>
>
> Rear window?
>
> cheers, clive
>
>

lol.

The bone collector?

On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 22:22:38 GMT, [email protected] (Jason Wyatt) wrote:

>I've often wondered whether, if I broke my leg, if they'd be able to build an SPD cleat into
>the cast ;-)

I've seen a very expensive-looking carbon fibre limb with a Look cleat fixed to the end..

--
Dave...

Status
Not open for further replies.