Broken Rear Axel Again!!!

jamesogrady

Jun 16, 2004
Hi there, first post.

I have a GT Agressor 3.0 2004.

I have managed to break four rear axels in the last 12 months.

I only use the bike to cycle to work on, so it is mainly used on roads and canal toepaths.

Can anyone suggest why this keeps happening?

Also are there more durable rear axels around?

Thanks in advance!!!

where is it breaking (side?) if your not thrashing it aorund (and if you are i'd question why you have an aggressor 3.0) then i dont see why you would brake them so often, unless you have the wrong cones and/or bearings and its putting pressure on the axel ooorrrrr......... i have no idea, the aggressor 3.0 (assuming it has the same components as the one we have here) is one of our biggest selling rec. bikes and i dont think i've ever seen an axel broken on one so i cant see it being a design issue.

moparchris said:
where is it breaking (side?) if your not thrashing it aorund (and if you are i'd question why you have an aggressor 3.0) then i dont see why you would brake them so often, unless you have the wrong cones and/or bearings and its putting pressure on the axel ooorrrrr......... i have no idea, the aggressor 3.0 (assuming it has the same components as the one we have here) is one of our biggest selling rec. bikes and i dont think i've ever seen an axel broken on one so i cant see it being a design issue.

Thanks for the reply.

Towards the left side of the axel and I'm not thrasing it.

Its in the shop for repair at the mo, I've asked the technician to check for any twists that might be putting extra strain on the axel.

I'm just curious why four axels have gone on this bike, it is my first bike with a rigid tail, all my others have been full suspension (not the most expensive) bikes.

hmm strange.. let us know what it is if you findout, the only other thing i can think of is one side of the axel is out too far and the QR isnt tightening the axel into the frame like it should and it can move slightly so its moving and getting a bit of force put on it when you go over curbs or whatever, basically hammering at it but that would be reasonably obvious.

whenever i see broken axels most of the time its kids thrashing their bikes and snapping them that way or its just old and fatigued

moparchris said:
hmm strange.. let us know what it is if you findout, the only other thing i can think of is one side of the axel is out too far and the QR isnt tightening the axel into the frame like it should and it can move slightly so its moving and getting a bit of force put on it when you go over curbs or whatever, basically hammering at it but that would be reasonably obvious.

whenever i see broken axels most of the time its kids thrashing their bikes and snapping them that way or its just old and fatigued

Got my bike back today. They confirmed that the frame wasn't twisted and that it was aligned correctly.

I have also had a new rim and Shimano Deore hub fitted. That also meant I had to get a new cassette as my old one was the cheap and nasty screw on type.

I'm hoping that this wheel will absorb more energy thus giving more than 3 months on an axel.

Still don't know why I have got through 4 axels!!!