Broken rib from running????

Dan Glyn

Guest
Anybody break or bruise a rib running (tripped) before? How long
before you could run again?
Also, do you consider it a running injury? Or a injury from a fall?

"Dan Glyn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Anybody break or bruise a rib running (tripped) before? How long
> before you could run again?

Did snookims fall down and go boom? See a GP and have some Xrays taken
and follow his/her advice.

> Also, do you consider it a running injury? Or a injury from a fall?

Another door 1, door 2 or neither question. How about yes.

-DF

> Anybody break or bruise a rib running (tripped) before? How long
> before you could run again?

From an auto accident it was about three weeks for the acute pain
to go away, six months to not feel pressure while deep breathing.
Fast walking was a reasonable substitute during the pain time.

It was excrutiating to do anything that used adominal muscles that time.
I could not lift myself out bed without almost passing out from the pain.
I developed this amusing little dance to get out bed without using adominals.
First slide onto the floor, move sideways into a kneeling position,
then rise up from the knees. I couldnt pick up stuff I dropped on to floor,
and you dont realize how much you drop during the course of the day
until you lose that capability. Got pretty good with pushing things around
with a broomstick.

"Dan Glyn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Anybody break or bruise a rib running (tripped) before? How long
> before you could run again?
> Also, do you consider it a running injury? Or a injury from a fall?

There are different degrees of rib fractures. I got a pretty minor one back
in May. Not even realizing it was broken, I badly aggravated it the next day
doing some . . . uh . . . horizontal lunges. A manly man could have probably
run through the pain/discomfort, but since I'm a girlie girl, I didn't run
for 2 weeks, and it was about 4 weeks before it felt 100%. The real bummer
is that the doc told me to give it rest and take ibuprofen. No percocet. :-(

Bill inquired:

>Anybody break or bruise a rib running (tripped) before? How long before you

could run again?
>Also, do you consider it a running injury? Or a injury from a fall?

Actually, this is more likely a pot injury, isn't it? Another victim of
RWI...?

"Doug Freese" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Did snookims fall down and go boom?

Yes, but unlike you who lands on his elbows and knees (assume the
position, ready for action etc etc) I landed and rolled.

>See a GP and have some Xrays taken
> and follow his/her advice.

Why the **** would I do that? Dr's are idiots. I shined a flashlight
through my ribs, and I didn't see any breaks, so I'm ok.

> Another door 1, door 2 or neither question. How about yes.

BUZZZZ! Wrong! If you're driving your car and smash your elbow on the
door, is it a car accident?

[email protected] (TopCounsel) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Bill inquired:
>
> >Anybody break or bruise a rib running (tripped) before? How long before you

> could run again?
> >Also, do you consider it a running injury? Or a injury from a fall?

> Actually, this is more likely a pot injury, isn't it? Another victim of
> RWI...?

<fires one up> Huh? I never got injured from weed. What does "RWI" mean?

[email protected] (Dan Glyn) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Anybody break or bruise a rib running (tripped) before? How long
> before you could run again?
> Also, do you consider it a running injury? Or a injury from a fall?

Thank you all (except Doogie) for the replys. Upon waking up from my
afternoon/evening snooze, the pain is nearly gone, interesting since
yesterday even breathing hurt. Situps are still out of the question
for a few days though. I guess having superior scottish genes pays off
:?)~

[email protected] (Bill) wrote:

>> Actually, this is more likely a pot injury, isn't it? Another victim of

RWI...?

><fires one up> Huh? I never got injured from weed. What does "RWI" mean?

Running While Intoxicated.

[email protected] (TopCounsel) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Running While Intoxicated.

Oh. I never got an injury from RWI, although I normally smoke a doobie
or two just before my runs, and was previously stoned (fell 45 minutes
into my run, so I was relatively sober by then)when I fell.
Interesting thing, I'm the only guy out there running with a big grin
on my face, all the others look, I don't know, unhappy?

Dan Glyn wrote:
> Anybody break or bruise a rib running (tripped) before? How long
> before you could run again?
> Also, do you consider it a running injury? Or a injury from a fall?

Gives new meaning to "hit the road", doesn't it?
-- Josh

>Gives new meaning to "hit the road", doesn't it?
>-- Josh

LOL, well actually it was "hit the trail" or I'd REALLY be wrecked.
Macho-idiot Update: I REALLY screwed up something in my back and ribs. The day
I did it I hurt, the next day it felt fine and I did an hour on our retro
treadmill. The next day, and ever since if I just breath, sneeze, cough, it
KILLS ME! I can't even burp, cough, blow my nose, or **** without being stabbed
in the rib by a huge knife with the pain radiating under my arm to my spine.
Sleeping is a joke. First the chiro tomorrow, since my spine is certainly WAY
out of line from the fall, and if that doesn't do it I'm going to the ER to get
X rayed and taped up. I tried to run today and managed 30 minutes before I
packed it in. It feels much better after the run though. I'm such a he-man LOL.

"TheBillRodgerz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >Gives new meaning to "hit the road", doesn't it?
> >-- Josh

> LOL, well actually it was "hit the trail" or I'd REALLY be wrecked.
> Macho-idiot Update: I REALLY screwed up something in my back and ribs. The

day
> I did it I hurt, the next day it felt fine and I did an hour on our retro
> treadmill. The next day, and ever since if I just breath, sneeze, cough,

it
> KILLS ME! I can't even burp, cough, blow my nose, or **** without being

stabbed
> in the rib by a huge knife with the pain radiating under my arm to my

spine.
> Sleeping is a joke. First the chiro tomorrow, since my spine is certainly

WAY
> out of line from the fall, and if that doesn't do it I'm going to the ER

to get
> X rayed and taped up. I tried to run today and managed 30 minutes before I
> packed it in. It feels much better after the run though. I'm such a he-man

LOL.

That is *exactly* how I felt, by the way. Only lightly bruised the next day,
so I did an hour of cycling that didn't hurt much at all, and pushed through
a little pain later in the evening doing some other strenuous activities.
Awful stabbing agony with every little sneeze on day 2.

>That is *exactly* how I felt, by the way. Only lightly bruised the next day,
>so I did an hour of cycling that didn't hurt much at all, and pushed through
>a little pain later in the evening doing some other strenuous activities.
>Awful stabbing agony with every little sneeze on day 2.

It sucks doesn't it? My chiro explained it, saying that with a broken rib it
won't hurt the next day, but the next one on it will, he called it
"self-splinting". Weird because I never imagined you could fracture a bone, and
have it actually feel fine the next day. But the final result is in, it's
broken in 3 places, and there's a splinter wandering around in there too. So I
went out and did 20 miles LOLOL. I can guarantee you there's cartilidge
involvement too, just by the feel. I've broken enough bones, and damaged enough
cartilidge, to know the feeling. This'll probably sideline me for the summer.
The best part of the season shot to hell. And NO Doug it is not a running
injury. If I tripped while hiking would it be a hiking injury? If I tripped
while doing it with the 'ol lady on the treadmill, would it be a treadmill
accident? No. It was caused by a fall, not by running.

[email protected] (Dan Glyn) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Anybody break or bruise a rib running (tripped) before? How long
> before you could run again?
> Also, do you consider it a running injury? Or a injury from a fall?

Yes, it happened to me once and I cracked a rib. I was running after
eye surgery and had to get my hands up to protect my eyes.
The pain was terrible on every breath. However, I could not bring
myself to take any time off from running because of it.
A rib will heel almost no matter what you do. Pain is easier to endure
when you know it will get better.

>Yes, it happened to me once and I cracked a rib. I was running after
>eye surgery and had to get my hands up to protect my eyes.
>The pain was terrible on every breath. However, I could not bring
>myself to take any time off from running because of it.
>A rib will heel almost no matter what you do. Pain is easier to endure
>when you know it will get better.

Thanks for the info! It's already nearly gone (um, the pain, not the rib) so if
I'm cautious, I hope to run limited distance by weekend. Thanks for the
encouragement.

On 28 Jul 2004 04:13:17 -0700, [email protected] (eddy eagle)
wrote:

>[email protected] (Dan Glyn) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>> Anybody break or bruise a rib running (tripped) before? How long
>> before you could run again?
>> Also, do you consider it a running injury? Or a injury from a fall?

>Yes, it happened to me once and I cracked a rib. I was running after
>eye surgery and had to get my hands up to protect my eyes.
>The pain was terrible on every breath. However, I could not bring
>myself to take any time off from running because of it.
>A rib will heel almost no matter what you do. Pain is easier to endure
>when you know it will get better.

Me too, i fractured two ribs while out jogging, i would consider it to
be an accident from a fall, as i slipped off the top of a wet stile,
about 41/2 ft. Ohh the pain. carried on with the run of course. Took
myself to the hosp next day, pain was much worse.

No lifting for two weeks and 6 - 8 weeks for recovery, however i was
light weights and stretching after 10 days and slow jogging, cycling
within the fortnight, then just progressing carefully. About 80%
recovered after 5 weeks..

Yeah definitely listen to your body as you recuperate and try not to
aggravate too much...

ive...