Broken ribs...recovery time?

bulaboy

Jan 5, 2006
Was pedalling thru a downhill corner this morning, when my inside right pedal hit the ground. The rear wheel left the ground and I somehow catapulted myself over to the left before landing on my left side. I broke 5 ribs. Anyway I am wondering if there are any folks out there who have had similar experiences. If so how long was it until you were back on the bike either on the road or the trainer? Fortunately we are just heading into winter here so I was expecting to ride the trainer a lot in the next few months anyway.

bulaboy said:
Was pedalling thru a downhill corner this morning, when my inside right pedal hit the ground. The rear wheel left the ground and I somehow catapulted myself over to the left before landing on my left side. I broke 5 ribs. Anyway I am wondering if there are any folks out there who have had similar experiences. If so how long was it until you were back on the bike either on the road or the trainer? Fortunately we are just heading into winter here so I was expecting to ride the trainer a lot in the next few months anyway.
==========================================================
Yek, poor you:eek:
Are you sure they're broken and not cracked - it's hard to tell the different.
I've had cracked ribs(about 2 each time) and they HURT - even healing.
Moving much, laughing etc was not nice.

Mine took months to heal fully - it seems to be the usual story. Because they can't be set like other breaks and because they move with lungs they take ages to heal.

Bigbananabike said:
==========================================================
Yek, poor you:eek:
I've had cracked ribs(about 2 each time) and they HURT - even healing.
Moving much, laughing etc was not nice.

Mine took months to heal fully - it seems to be the usual story. Because they can't be set like other breaks and because they move with lungs they take ages to heal.
how long were you off the bike after your injury?

CannonChick said:
how long were you off the bike after your injury?
===========================================================
The first time it happened I wasn't cycling(apart from occasional rides and commuting a bit) but I was doing a lot of running. I couldn't run for about a month and a half. It would've been less time off the bike - but not a lot as the upper body movement would've meant pain:eek:

Bigbananabike said:
===========================================================
The first time it happened I wasn't cycling(apart from occasional rides and commuting a bit) but I was doing a lot of running. I couldn't run for about a month and a half. It would've been less time off the bike - but not a lot as the upper body movement would've meant pain:eek:
i bruised my ribs three weeks ago (the doc says bruise, but it feels like a break).
i do time trials but i can't get in the aero position to save my life!
probably be the full 6 weeks for me too. :(

When I cracked a couple of ribs, I seem to recall getting back on the bike in about two weeks. I could not ride out of the saddle and needed to keep my torso straight and unmoving. Taking shallow breaths helped. I also rode easy and took no risks.

With five broken ones I think you would live in fear of crashing if you go out too early.

With five broken ones I think you would live in fear of crashing if you go out too early.[/QUOTE]Yeah You're right. It's the trainer for me. Going to try to climb on the trainer in a couple days or so. Even if all I can do is spin for a while, it should slow the rate of fitness loss.

Bigbananabike said:
Please define broken vs cracked and explain the difference!

Ribs are pretty stable unless you snap them completely. But theree is still a range of severity.

I hit a pedestrian at 45kmph and snapped 3 ribs. I didn't think they were broken and kept working (as a cycle courior) on massive doses of ibuprofen and pseudoephedrine but 2-3 weeksd later they still hurt and i discovered a bunch of lumps where they had started to fuse together.

Not much you can go about them really, but the drugs certainly help.

sogood said:
Please define broken vs cracked and explain the difference!

11ring said:
Ribs are pretty stable unless you snap them completely. But theree is still a range of severity.
The point was, there's no difference b/n "broken" and "cracked" in this context.

Rib fracture are mostly traumatic or tumour related, there are just about no over-use stress fractures (never say never). And with traumatic, although may not be displaced, you can pretty much be guaranteed it's a through and through fracture.

Maybe your definition of "broken" is when it's poking through your skin or into your lung or a segment of the chest wall has broken free (flail chest). That's really really bad and I wouldn't just use "broken" to describe it. :eek:

bulaboy said:
6-8 weeks avg healing time in a non-smoker in otherwise good health. If you're a pack-per-day smoker, multiply by two for healing time. Breaking 5 ribs is RARELY doable without tearing the soft tissues adjacent to the ribs such as attachments of the intercostal and other muscles. Therefore, be prepared for pain that persists to some degree long after 6-8 weeks.

That said, you can ride sooner than that possibly, as pain allows. Movement of soft tissue during the healing process helps the soft tissues heal. Breathing hard likely hurts more now (I'm right aren't I?), but breathing is essential.

I'd see a good chiropractor or physiotherapist who can do pulsed ultrasound and electric muscle stimulation and gentle massage right away. Interferential current therapy speeds fracture healing, and ultrasound is good for scar tissue. Massage is very helpful as well. Acupuncture can play a role in pain relief, as can all the drugs you were prescribed (they were, right?).

Bummer news, man. Best of luck in the New Year!

11ring said:
...Not much you can go about them really, but the drugs certainly help.
What did you just do? Throw away the entire field of physical medicine (including chiropractic and physical therapy)??? Don't do that!!! Drugs do help, but they are not enough, and that's why every professional cyclist doesn't rely on them alone.

CapeRoadster said:
6-8 weeks avg healing time in a non-smoker in otherwise good health. If you're a pack-per-day smoker, multiply by two for healing time. Breaking 5 ribs is RARELY doable without tearing the soft tissues adjacent to the ribs such as attachments of the intercostal and other muscles. Therefore, be prepared for pain that persists to some degree long after 6-8 weeks.

That said, you can ride sooner than that possibly, as pain allows. Movement of soft tissue during the healing process helps the soft tissues heal. Breathing hard likely hurts more now (I'm right aren't I?), but breathing is essential.

I'd see a good chiropractor or physiotherapist who can do pulsed ultrasound and electric muscle stimulation and gentle massage right away. Interferential current therapy speeds fracture healing, and ultrasound is good for scar tissue. Massage is very helpful as well. Acupuncture can play a role in pain relief, as can all the drugs you were prescribed (they were, right?).

Bummer news, man. Best of luck in the New Year!
Thanks CR. Good info there. I've been on the trainer a few times now. (Today w/b 2 weeks since my exciting high speed dismount.) I can do L3 intervals for now until my ribs allow for some deeper breathing. Fitness wise (best case scenario) this will probably set me back 3(?) weeks or so. I've done some trash talking with my cycling friends, cause I had planned on a steady diet of L4 intervals during Dec Jan & Feb. I will be riding faster come spring...no excuses! I got a jersey for Christmas with a picture of a cow on it, that I am planning to debut this spring. When you view the jersey from the back all you see is the cow's ass. That is the view I plan on showing people in April.

Well that was doctors advice, "nothing i can do, just take it easy and don;t crash or lift heavy weights".

CapeRoadster said:
What did you just do? Throw away the entire field of physical medicine (including chiropractic and physical therapy)??? Don't do that!!! Drugs do help, but they are not enough, and that's why every professional cyclist doesn't rely on them alone.

11ring said:
Well that was doctors advice, "nothing i can do, just take it easy and don;t crash or lift heavy weights".
Stupid doctor. When will some doctors get a CLUE? Physical medicine's been around for a long time!