Broken Seat Post

~MoDCoN~

Apr 18, 2003
Hmm... Just under two months ago I picked up a Trek 1400 60cm roadie... Been riding and enjoying it since... But was riding the other evening and hit a bump on the road which was slightly jarring... Thought to myself, that didn't sound good so I pulled over and looked over the bike... seemed alright. Kept riding... Got home fine.

Today; rinsed the grime off the bike, and in doing so, took my seat pack off so as to keep it dry - and look - there is a crack at the base of my seat post (carbon fibre). Lucky it didn't snap off while I was riding...

Am going to drop in tomorrow, probably give them a call first and see what they say... Is it likely to be under warranty? I would assume so but thought I'd check... Cheers!

Annoyed, cos I was planning on a morning ride to get me ready for exam study tomorrow! Boo!

No excuses. Do a quick fire 25km out of the saddle. :) (Good luck with the warranty too)

yet another reason why we need at least 2 bikes! :)

I'm sorry to say, but I'd be surprised if you got a free replacement post, because they can simply say you did the seat collar up too tight. It's one of the parts on the bike where they can easily claim 'user error'

Carbon bits like seatposts, stems and handlebars really need to be tightened up with a torque wrench. Something that most shop mechanics don't use.

It's one reason why I only like using Alu posts, stems and bars.

531Aussie said:
yet another reason why we need at least 2 bikes! :)

I'm sorry to say, but I'd be surprised if you got a free replacement post, because they can simply say you did the seat collar up too tight. It's one of the parts on the bike where they can easily claim 'user error'

so what if the LBS was the one who did it? I haven't touched any of the set up - don't want to mess it up? i won't be surprised either, although the guy at the shop was like 'huh?' when i called this arvo... here's hoping for some good luck!

i would be happy to have two roadies... my five bikes at the moment only have one dedicated road bike though, i use the rest for adorning my room and garage and commuting to uni

^^ worth a try. If you have adjusted the seat height, try to clean up any extra clamp marks on the post :)

Not familiar with Trek's spec but does it have a carbon friendly seatclamp? www.cycleurope.co.jp/2007/ac/scxcarb.htm

If not at least turn the clamp 180 degrees so the bolt is on the front.

But at 60cm I assume you are no lightweight & I would be swapping that carbon post for a twin bolt alloy model or it will always be in the back of your mind about the strength of your post. It's no coincidence that the Thomson Elite is one of the most sought after posts out there!

http://www.lhthomson.com/gallery/elite_1280.jpghttp://www.roadcyclinguk.com/news/images/PlanetX3dcradle.jpg

caferacerwanabe said:
If not at least turn the clamp 180 degrees so the bolt is on the front.
I have never ever seen a seat post clamp with the slot facing the front except on both of my bikes. My first carbon post [only had 2 :)] got crushed by the edge of the frame slot when I over tightened the clamp. I found a specialized instruction sheet on their site which shows the clamp slot facing the front.
Most of the force exerted on the SP would be at the back so it seems logical to face the slot forward.
I think it is also important, particularly for a metal framed bike, when a C post is used to ensure the frame slot doesn't have a sharp edge which can dig into the post. I used some emery paper to smooth the edge.

I took it in to cecil walker this morning (where I bought it) and he has taken it in and said the post will most likely be replaced by friday. I am awfully impressed by this (although I won't tell him that til I see new cf)... I have not touched it since it got put in - the fit set up was great and I haven't needed to remove it - so when they take it out they will see only a single mark, reinforcing my claim. I wouldn't say I'm a lightweight, but no where near a Clyde - 81kg...of lean mean pedalling machine. :p Thanks for your responses, will keep you updated!

PS When I told my brother he replied 'How the cheese did you break the carbon fibre seat post? Did you get any nanotubes stuck in your butt? I hope you can get it replaced free of charge.' which I found hilarious!

MoD

~MoDCoN~ said:
I took it in to cecil walker this morning (where I bought it) and he has taken it in and said the post will most likely be replaced by friday. I am awfully impressed by this (although I won't tell him that til I see new cf)...
I bought a part from Cecil Walker online some time back and it never arrived. This wasn't the first time I'd ordered something but it was the first time it was never received. I emailed them and enquired about it. They did some searching and found they had sent it but they took my word and sent me another without charge; no questions asked. I was really impressed. I have and would still buy from them when I see something I like.

1id10t said:
I bought a part from Cecil Walker online some time back...I was really impressed. I have and would still buy from them when I see something I like.
I've not had the same experience with them that you have had. I've had one (expensive) item missing from an order I placed, and the staff member I spoke to was awfully rude, and refused to put me through to a more senior person.

It wasn't until I physically went in there the following week and demanded to speak to the manager on duty that I was looked after (I was flying down for a visit anyway) - I did warn them in advance that I was coming.

They ended up checking their stock levels (which is what they SHOULD have done the first time I'd called - I didn't expect them to just give things away no questions asked), and agreed they had one more than they should, so I got it. No apology for the trouble I went to for it, though.

Just goes to show that different customers can have different experiences with the same store, I guess.

n

nerdag said:
I've not had the same experience with them that you have had. I've had one (expensive) item missing from an order I placed, and the staff member I spoke to was awfully rude, and refused to put me through to a more senior person.

It wasn't until I physically went in there the following week and demanded to speak to the manager on duty that I was looked after (I was flying down for a visit anyway) - I did warn them in advance that I was coming.

They ended up checking their stock levels (which is what they SHOULD have done the first time I'd called - I didn't expect them to just give things away no questions asked), and agreed they had one more than they should, so I got it. No apology for the trouble I went to for it, though.

Just goes to show that different customers can have different experiences with the same store, I guess.

n

i think you can catch a shop not at it's finest... i've experienced rather offhand service too, but it seemed to be when they were busy. with the 1400 they seemed to value my custom and continue to, which i surely appreciate! :) it's that nice feeling that they are taking care of you

nerdag said:

n

That's a shame you had such a bad experience with them. Maybe because the item I purchased wasn't overly expensive they decided replacing it wouldn't be too costly for them. Who knows. As ModCon says I guess it depends on how busy they are and perhaps which salesperson you get.

well got the bike back - the owner (foget his name???) said when he gave them the broken seat post the guy had a heart attack. lol. they have replaced it with a bbb post, possibly 'cheaper' but definitely more rigid. will be taking it out for a burl in the morning, and will let you know how it goes... :)

well its all better, except that the fit is slightly off was it was before... ie my back felt the difference, possibly in the slope of the seat or tiny change in height... but otherwise the post seems stable...