broken shimano 600 shifter

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by mkay444, Jul 29, 2004.

  1. mkay444

    mkay444 New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2004
    I have a broken right (for rear deraileur) shimano 600 shifter. Does anyone know if it would be possible to replace with a newer shifter or possible find an old one. It is a eight speed and not a down tube shifter that I am looking for.

    Thanks

    Tags:

  2. "mkay444" wrote:
    > I have a broken right (for rear deraileur) shimano 600 shifter. Does
    > anyone know if it would be possible to replace with a newer shifter or
    > possible find an old one. It is a eight speed and not a down tube
    > shifter that I am looking for.

    Need more info. Is this a down tube shifter (or bar con, or STI)? Is it
    indexed (click stops)? And if so, how many cogs are on your
    cassette/frewheel?

    It's usually possible to find a replacement at a good local bike shop or on
    eBay.

    Art Harris

  3. "Arthur Harris" wrote:
    > "mkay444" wrote:
    > > I have a broken right (for rear deraileur) shimano 600 shifter. Does
    > > anyone know if it would be possible to replace with a newer shifter or
    > > possible find an old one. It is a eight speed and not a down tube
    > > shifter that I am looking for.

    Oops, I missed your last sentence. I assume this is an STI lever (dual
    brake/shifter) as opposed to a bar end. You will often see Shimano
    600/Ultegra 8-speed STI levers on eBay. Or you could buy a new set of
    Shimano Sora 8-speed shifters (buying the right hand lever would cost almost
    as much as a set). Or you could upgrade to 9-speed levers and a 9-speed
    cassette.

    See:
    http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html

    Art Harris

  4. On Fri, 30 Jul 2004, mkay444
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I have a broken right (for rear deraileur) shimano 600 shifter. Does
    > anyone know if it would be possible to replace with a newer shifter or
    > possible find an old one. It is a eight speed and not a down tube
    > shifter that I am looking for.

    Any 8 speed Shimano shifter would probably do just fine (I use RX100 STI
    levers with a 600 rder, and it works fine), they still have 8sp STI:s as
    parts (ST-R500). However, the finish/build of the latter is not at the
    600/Ultegra level. If you have a cassette hub on the rear wheel, you may
    also consider buying a new 9sp STI, cassette and chain to upgrade
    8->9sp.
    Also, look for used or NOS 8sp STI levers at E-Bay, there are often
    quite a few available (but the prices are sometime ridiculous).

    Note: If you're not into the tech lingo, STI levers are the ones where
    brake and shift levers are integrated (also referred to as brifters).

    /Tomas

    --
    Caps and foobar are normally not parts of my address.