broken shimano bike chain

subfive5

Nov 2, 2003
I recently bought a new Trek Equinox 11 bike and the first time out riding one of the chain links broke. I heard master links aren't used on narrow chains so I was wondering if I need to buy a new chain or is it possible to just replace the link. Also wondering how to determine the speed of the chain and if I would need a chain tool to fix this. Thanks.

Originally posted by subfive5
I recently bought a new Trek Equinox 11 bike and the first time out riding one of the chain links broke. I heard master links aren't used on narrow chains so I was wondering if I need to buy a new chain or is it possible to just replace the link. Also wondering how to determine the speed of the chain and if I would need a chain tool to fix this. Not a bad idea to have one anyways. Thanks.

You will defintely need a chain tool to fix it with a conventional link. Shimano recommends always using special connecting pins when reattaching.

see
http://bike.shimano.com/product_images/CN/si_images/CN_HG93_SI.pdf

or the comparable document for the specific chain on their web site.

Some people also use either a SRAM Power-Link or Wippermann Connex link to make removal easier. SRAM advises using them only with their chains, but some people say they have no problems with HG chains. YMMV.

But if this happened on your first ride, I would certainly approach the dealer that you purchased it from. Seems likely that either the chain was initially damaged, or something may be severely out of whack with your drivetrain that caused it to fail which will also need to be corrected.

Originally posted by subfive5
I heard master links aren't used on narrow chains so I was wondering if I need to buy a new chain or is it possible to just replace the link.
That's just total hooey. There are numerous possible removable links, or use the proper shimano replacement pin.