broken spoke

Patrick Lamb writes:

>> I broke a front wheel spoke two days ago (errant cargo in wheel)
>> and the occasional slapping sound reminds me of "tied/soldered
>> spokes won't foul on the fork when broken".

>> Since it hasn't caught on anything and doesn't look like it will, I
>> wonder how great a 'problem' broken flapping spokes really are. I
>> can't recall seeing a wheel actually stopped by a broken
>> spoke. Anyone here have experience with that?

> Of the half dozen to a dozen spokes that broke on my bike over the
> years, I only remember one that flapped loose. I don't remember the
> details, but I did have to stop and bend it around the remaining
> spokes to get home.

How long have you been riding a high wheeler with 3mm diameter black
radial spokes with threads at both ends? I assume you cite your
experience because it applies to such a bicycle.

Jobst Brandt

On 04 Jun 2007 17:27:47 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

>Patrick Lamb writes:
>
>>> I broke a front wheel spoke two days ago (errant cargo in wheel)
>>> and the occasional slapping sound reminds me of "tied/soldered
>>> spokes won't foul on the fork when broken".

>>> Since it hasn't caught on anything and doesn't look like it will, I
>>> wonder how great a 'problem' broken flapping spokes really are. I
>>> can't recall seeing a wheel actually stopped by a broken
>>> spoke. Anyone here have experience with that?

>> Of the half dozen to a dozen spokes that broke on my bike over the
>> years, I only remember one that flapped loose. I don't remember the
>> details, but I did have to stop and bend it around the remaining
>> spokes to get home.

>How long have you been riding a high wheeler with 3mm diameter black
>radial spokes with threads at both ends? I assume you cite your
>experience because it applies to such a bicycle.
>
>Jobst Brandt

Dear Jobst,

Er, how long have _you_ been riding a high wheeler?

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Carl Fogel writes:

>>> Of the half dozen to a dozen spokes that broke on my bike over the
>>> years, I only remember one that flapped loose. I don't remember
>>> the details, but I did have to stop and bend it around the
>>> remaining spokes to get home.

>> How long have you been riding a high wheeler with 3mm diameter
>> black radial spokes with threads at both ends? I assume you cite
>> your experience because it applies to such a bicycle.

> Er, how long have _you_ been riding a high wheeler?

Never, but I don't suggest that spokes of a high wheeler cannot toss
a rider off the bicycle when they break. In the years I have worked
with spokes I have seen spoke break at the hub and the treads and I
have seen spokes get into the gear cluster after breaking.

I think you should re-read the above and see that there is no value to
someone saying they never broke a spoke that could tangle the wheel
and therefore, tying spokes had no connection with that.

Jobst Brandt

[email protected] mused:

??

[email protected] wrote:
> Never, but I don't suggest that spokes of a high wheeler cannot toss
> a rider off the bicycle when they break. In the years I have worked
> with spokes I have seen spoke break at the hub and the treads and I
> have seen spokes get into the gear cluster after breaking.
> I think you should re-read the above and see that there is no value to
> someone saying they never broke a spoke that could tangle the wheel
> and therefore, tying spokes had no connection with that.

I simply noticed that for several days I heard the occasional sound of
the broken spoke slapping the inside of my fork blade. I began to wonder
how or on what it could catch solidly enough to stop a wheel.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On 05 Jun 2007 04:36:26 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

>>> Never, but I don't suggest that spokes of a high wheeler cannot
>>> toss a rider off the bicycle when they break. In the years I have
>>> worked with spokes I have seen spoke break at the hub and the
>>> treads and I have seen spokes get into the gear cluster after
>>> breaking.

>> Er, normal highwheelers lacked gears.

>Oh ****. My example was given to make clear that spokes can break,
>swing out to the side and get tangled in the frame, fork or other
>components. It was not a comment on gearing on high wheelers.
>
>> And you're making a suggestion with your usual dogmatic attitude
>> about a kind of bicycle with which you have no experience.

>I see one daily here in Palo Alto and the bicycle shop has one on
>display (for sale). The Zweiradsmuseum in Neckarsulm (D) has plenty
>of them in original form, not replicas. It is easy to inspect them.

[snip]

Dear Jobst,

Er, I wrote:

"Er, how long have _you_ been riding a high wheeler?"

You replied:

"Never."

That's the kind of experience that I had in mind.

:)

Cheers,

Carl Fogel