Broken Spokes Help

Griesemer

May 10, 2010
Recently got a trek 1.2 alpha with Bontrager approved Alloy Wheels. Took my rear wheel in to the LBS to get my rear wheel trued up and they told me I had six broken spokes.:eek: I never even knew this was possible. Ordered a new Easton wheel for $200 and it will be here in 2 weeks. In the mean time they are going to fix the broken spokes and true the wheel. Any tips to ride without blowing spokes. I know this is a rare problem but I am sure other people have gone through the same thing. Thanks for the help.

I'm surprised you could ride at all with six broken spokes.

Spoke breakage is down to building rather than riding. Tension needs to be adequate and even across each side of the wheel.

I've never had a problem with broken spokes unitl I bought my current bike in 2005. I was popping spokes every couple hundred miles. Kept taking it to get trued (took them to numerous bike shops) and even had all the spokes replaced with DT spokes, but problem didn't go away. I finally decided it was time I learned how to true my own wheels.

Long story short, I believe that the mechanics either was not tightening the spokes enough or they were not evenly tightened. I now have no problems with neither breaking spokes nor spokes loosening (wheel going out-of-true).

Now I will never take my wheels in for truing, I know this sounds great, but my learning curve was steep....very steep, in other words it was a very painful process. When you read instructions on how to true, know that with those instructions you need much experience to make it work. And not all wheels are alike, some I can effortlessly true, others can make me so mad I'd just assume to use the wheel as a frisbee.

john gault said:
I've never had a problem with broken spokes unitl I bought my current bike in 2005. I was popping spokes every couple hundred miles. Kept taking it to get trued (took them to numerous bike shops) and even had all the spokes replaced with DT spokes, but problem didn't go away. I finally decided it was time I learned how to true my own wheels.

Long story short, I believe that the mechanics either was not tightening the spokes enough or they were not evenly tightened. I now have no problems with neither breaking spokes nor spokes loosening (wheel going out-of-true).

Now I will never take my wheels in for truing, I know this sounds great, but my learning curve was steep....very steep, in other words it was a very painful process. When you read instructions on how to true, know that with those instructions you need much experience to make it work. And not all wheels are alike, some I can effortlessly true, others can make me so mad I'd just assume to use the wheel as a frisbee.
Welcome to the Wild World of Wheels John! Now that you have trued wheels, it's time to become a man and build a pair! Oh, it helps to have several spare nights and sufficient beer on hand to keep you from going insane.

kdelong said:
Welcome to the Wild World of Wheels John! Now that you have trued wheels, it's time to become a man and build a pair! Oh, it helps to have several spare nights and sufficient beer on hand to keep you from going insane.
Actually, lacing the wheels is the easiest part ... it's just something which can NOT be rushed, particularly if you opt for x3 on the driveside & x2 lacing on the non-driveside --but, even the x3/x2 lacing doesn't take that long ...

It's mostly a matter of being in the 'right' frame of mind.

As to WHEN you should consume a beer, or two, depends on how daring you are while you are building your wheels!