Broken spokes on Shimano WH-540's

Harrow

Jun 17, 2003
I'm a bit worried about what's going to happen if I break a spoke on my Shimano 540's. Since there are only 16 spokes, if one breaks at high speed am I in trouble?

Anyone have any experience of this ?

Regards,
Harrow.:confused:

Originally posted by Harrow
I'm a bit worried about what's going to happen if I break a spoke on my Shimano 540's. Since there are only 16 spokes, if one breaks at high speed am I in trouble?

Regards,

There's another recent thread on this, but in a nutshell.

The result of a broken spoke is massive tacoing of the rim, which requires your brakes to be completely undone while you limp home or to a bike shop. It's a lot worse than than a normal wheel if it breaks, but not necessarily life threatening.

Originally posted by Harrow

Regards,

Yeh had one brake a couple of weeks ago and didn't even realise it at the time!!!.Looked down to see what gear i was in then noticed the shape of the wheel.
So there where no real dramas.

Originally posted by hob969
Yeh had one brake a couple of weeks ago and didn't even realise it at the time!!!.Looked down to see what gear i was in then noticed the shape of the wheel.

Thanks guys, I'm a bit more relieved and relaxed now ;)

Harrow said:

Regards,
I'm a big guy (220 lbs) and I broke a spoke on my 540's while going down a hill at 30 mph (I hit a nasty pothole). I didn't spill, and I rode about 10 miles home with my rear brakes open. The spoke was replaced, and the wheel is fine. I use the 540's as a back up set. I have a set of Mavic Ksyrium Elites that are more sturdy.

hob969 said:

Been riding these wheels alot over the last 12 months, often on some pretty dire road surfaces. Have hit potholes, manhole covers, stones, bits of wood...

Biggest problem to date was the out-of-true after making contact with a sizeable pothole whilst doing 20+ mph, the resultant being, oh 2mm knockout. LBS confirmed no damage to either rim or spokes.

My point is, yes, these spokes can break and when you've only got 16 of them it could have a major impact in the sense you'd probably have a convincingly buggered wheel. However, these are still strong wheels regardless, so don't feel you have to go out and road ride with trepidation! Of course, you should still routinely check your spokes and rims, but then the same applies to the rest of your bike.

Enjoy the cycling - cheers