Broken spokes

Harrow

Jun 17, 2003
With a reduced spoke count wheel (eg. Shimano 540 wheel set), is a broken spoke likely to end in loss of control and a disastrous crash at speed. Anyone have any first hand experience or knowledge of this ?

Thanks,
Harrow.

Had a Mavic Elite - 20 spoke rear wheel. One broken spoke = 1-2 lateral movement, rubbing brakes and frame (I was climbing, not suffer any loss of controle etc, but that could have happened if high speed downhill). Managed to ride home, only 4 km, but the rim was permanent damaged.
Shimano wheels would probably be a bit better because of lower spoke tension, should at least avoid permanent damaged rim (and fewer damaged spokes). Have newer had any problems with my Shimano (WH6500) wheels.

2th sentence should be: "One broken spoke = 1-2 CM lateral movement......"

Originally posted by ajo
Had a Mavic Elite - 20 spoke rear wheel. One broken spoke = 1-2 lateral movement, rubbing brakes and frame (I was climbing, not suffer any loss of controle etc, but that could have happened if high speed downhill). Managed to ride home, only 4 km, but the rim was permanent damaged.
Shimano wheels would probably be a bit better because of lower spoke tension, should at least avoid permanent damaged rim (and fewer damaged spokes). Have newer had any problems with my Shimano (WH6500) wheels.