Broken Spokes

beckdog

Jun 15, 2007
Hi Everyone!...I have a problem with breaking spokes on my commuter bike. I recently (about a year ago, but less than 500 miles) ordered new wheels from my bike shop that were supposed to be pretty heavy duty. Some pertinent details.

This has been going on for a while.
I weigh 220lbs
It's always on the freewheel side of my back wheel (which makes it a pain to replace!)
Bike's a circa 1990 downhill racer...an odd combination of drop handlebars and 26 inch wheels with slicks.

I would consider even buying a new bike if I felt like it would solve the problem...

So my questions are...anyone have similar experience? Anyone know if a 700c wheel would be better or worse?

Thanks

beckdog said:
Hi Everyone!...I have a problem with breaking spokes on my commuter bike. I recently (about a year ago, but less than 500 miles) ordered new wheels from my bike shop that were supposed to be pretty heavy duty. Some pertinent details.

This has been going on for a while.
I weigh 220lbs
It's always on the freewheel side of my back wheel (which makes it a pain to replace!)
Bike's a circa 1990 downhill racer...an odd combination of drop handlebars and 26 inch wheels with slicks.

I would consider even buying a new bike if I felt like it would solve the problem...

So my questions are...anyone have similar experience? Anyone know if a 700c wheel would be better or worse?

Thanks
Right rear spokes carry more of the load than any other spokes.
Weight is a factor.
The quality of the components is important, but so is the quality of the build.
700C will not change the situation... in fact it might make it worse.
Find a local quality wheel builder and take him/her your rear wheel for evaluation. A rebuild may do the trick, or a total replacement may be called for.
QBP (Quality Bicyle Products) is one of the largest bicycle distributors in the US. They sell to most shops. They have thier own, in-house, wheel building program. They are pretty good, and a very reasonable value.
I build wheels as part of my living.
If you are in the Chicago-land area, I would be happy to address your requirments. I have customers (including a 310 pounder) happily riding my wheels all around the US. The recent raises in shipping costs have made it much less practical to ship wheels.
dave at ornee net

daveornee said:
Right rear spokes carry more of the load than any other spokes.
Weight is a factor.
The quality of the components is important, but so is the quality of the build.
700C will not change the situation... in fact it might make it worse.
Find a local quality wheel builder and take him/her your rear wheel for evaluation. A rebuild may do the trick, or a total replacement may be called for.
QBP (Quality Bicyle Products) is one of the largest bicycle distributors in the US. They sell to most shops. They have thier own, in-house, wheel building program. They are pretty good, and a very reasonable value.
I build wheels as part of my living.
If you are in the Chicago-land area, I would be happy to address your requirments. I have customers (including a 310 pounder) happily riding my wheels all around the US. The recent raises in shipping costs have made it much less practical to ship wheels.
dave at ornee net
Thanks for the advice...a little follow up-do you think it might have to do with riding style? It's always on the freewheel side that they break. Do you have a direct e-mail where I could send you questions once I've spoken (no pun) with my bike shop?

Dave is spot on about the quality of the build. I am 240 and one of my favorite rides is a bike that has 16 spoke 700C X23 wheels on it. I have never had any spoke issues with it at all, however I build all my own wheels now as I don't trust anyone else to do it correctly. I have good reason, and scars, for this bit of paranoia.:rolleyes:

beckdog said:
Thanks for the advice...a little follow up-do you think it might have to do with riding style? It's always on the freewheel side that they break. Do you have a direct e-mail where I could send you questions once I've spoken (no pun) with my bike shop?
dave at ornee dot net
take out the spaces, covert the "at" and "dot"
I hope you get the reasoning for my "cover" .... so many spammers, so little time.