Broken spokes

wsommariva

Aug 12, 2009
Ok, I'm no lightweight at 255 lbs. I've broken two spokes on my Trek Navagator 2.0 in the last two months. (bike is 13 months old). I just ride on the streets. My LBS says my size should not break spokes. I tend to disagree. Any thoughts?

wsommariva said:
Ok, I'm no lightweight at 255 lbs. I've broken two spokes on my Trek Navagator 2.0 in the last two months. (bike is 13 months old). I just ride on the streets. My LBS says my size should not break spokes. I tend to disagree. Any thoughts?

I think your LBS is either lazy or has his head up his ****. 36 spoke wheels ought to be fine for your weight. It's likely after all this time, your wheels have gone out of true and have unequal spoke tension. It's the unequal spoke tension that is likely the source of your broken spokes. Hell, it's also likely that your wheels--probably machine built wheels--came with uneven spoke tension, especially as it sounds as if you have limited mileage on the bike. All you need is for the wheels to be trued, spokes brought up to even tensions, and the wheels to be stress relieved.

Go to a different LBS.

They did check the tension and straighten the wheel. It's a good LBS.

So, it's not the weight, good. If I break another spoke they will replace the rear wheel at no charge. Hopefully it won't happen again.

Thank you for the reply.

I once had bad luck with thin double butted spokes on the tight side of a rear wheel. Maybe bad spokes, maybe too much tension, I dunno, but I ended up switching that side to straight gage spokes and no more problem.

I asked about "stronger spokes" for a fat guy. They said the stock spokes are more than adequate. So, can't worry about it; maybe I'll have no further problems.