BROL censorship

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Migofast, Feb 24, 2003.

  1. Migofast

    Migofast Guest

    It appears that BROL censors posts negitive to his sponsors. WE NEED THIS FORUM! To many people are
    migrating to BROL! You will not here the truth about there sponsors bad products and poor customer
    service on BROLL it will be censored. It is hard to do that here. We need the net to keep the
    manufacturers honest! We need to here honest reviews of products both positive and negitive.

    Tags:

  2. Derek Swift

    Derek Swift Guest

    I am curious: what specifically was censored? I guess I am not aware of the censorship. The multiple
    Bigha and Cannondale burnings were never censored. The only ones I am aware of are the personal
    attacks on others.

    FWIW, many participate in both groups.

  3. On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 15:58:46 -0500, "Blake McCully" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Sorry, just had to blow off steam. I get so ticked at people that are too careless or to [sic]
    >rude to use proper English.

    Me, too.

    -- Robert

  4. ARRGH!!! Nothing gets my dander up more than illiterate people, unless it is illiterate people who
    flaunt their illiteracy in public. The first sentence below makes absolutely no sense. What the h**l
    did you mean to say? To many people are migrating to BROL! Shouldn't that article be TOO? You will
    not here the truth about there sponsors.... Come on, You will not HEAR the truth about THEIR
    sponsors. AGAIN, We need to here...,

    Do you know the difference between To, Too, and Two, how about There, Their, and They're, how about
    Hear, and Here. I shudder to think how you use Weather and Whether.

    Sorry, just had to blow off steam. I get so ticked at people that are too careless or to rude to use
    proper English.

    "migofast" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > It appears that BROL censors posts negitive to his sponsors. WE NEED THIS FORUM! To many people
    > are migrating to BROL! You will not here the truth about there sponsors bad products and poor
    > customer service on BROLL it will be censored. It is hard to do that here. We need the net to keep
    > the manufacturers honest! We need to here honest reviews of products both positive and negitive.

  5. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    "Blake McCully" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > ARRGH!!! Nothing gets my dander up more than illiterate people, unless it is illiterate people who
    > flaunt their illiteracy in public. The first sentence below makes absolutely no sense. What the
    > h**l did you mean to say? To many people are migrating to BROL! Shouldn't that article be TOO? You
    > will not here the truth about there sponsors.... Come on, You will not HEAR the truth about THEIR
    > sponsors. AGAIN, We need to here...,
    >
    > Do you know the difference between To, Too, and Two, how about There, Their, and They're, how
    > about Hear, and Here. I shudder to think how you use Weather and Whether.
    >
    > Sorry, just had to blow off steam. I get so ticked at people that are too careless or to rude to
    > use proper English.
    >
    > "migofast" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> It appears that BROL censors posts negitive to his sponsors. WE NEED THIS FORUM! To many people
    >> are migrating to BROL! You will not here the truth about there sponsors bad products and poor
    >> customer service on BROLL it will be censored. It is hard to do that here. We need the net to
    >> keep the manufacturers honest! We need to here honest reviews of products both positive and
    >> negitive.

    Could also be his second or third language. Normally I agree, but I am more forgiving on the net
    because it is an International community. Although I can sometimes make myself understood in
    languages other than english, I probably am no better than this fellow grammatically. Then again, he
    could be a moron who doesn't know how to spell... rorschandt

  6. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    "Tom Blum" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > "Then again, he could be a moron who doesn't know how to spell...rorschandt"
    >
    > Very few of us morons knows how to spell "rorschandt"

    See what I mean about grammar! (~:

    Yours respectfully, rorschandt

  7. I got a chuckle from the handle this poster chose to use..."Migofast" (should be MeGoFast). Then I
    noticed his Email address was [email protected] and it donned on me. Perhaps his abuse of the English
    language was intentional. In Hollywood movies the traditional Neanderthal male spoke this way re: me
    go here, me go fast, me go slow. Maybe his weakness in English was an intentional desire to
    de-evolve and in his case it appears to be working.

    When I was a lad I had the misfortune to be placed in a R.C. school for a few years and my Grammar
    teacher was Sister Mary Marquis de Sade who would walk up behind you with a wooden pointer (I swear
    this was a Pool Cue) and give students a good whack IF she looked down at our workbook and saw a
    misspelled Their/There or Hear/Here.
    "Blake McCully" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > ARRGH!!! Nothing gets my dander up more than illiterate people, unless it is illiterate people who
    > flaunt their illiteracy in public. The first sentence below makes absolutely no sense. What the
    > h**l did you mean to say? To many people are migrating to BROL! Shouldn't that article be TOO? You
    > will not here the truth about there sponsors.... Come on, You will not HEAR the truth about THEIR
    > sponsors. AGAIN, We need to here...,
    >
    > Do you know the difference between To, Too, and Two, how about There,
    Their,
    > and They're, how about Hear, and Here. I shudder to think how you use Weather and Whether.
    >
    > Sorry, just had to blow off steam. I get so ticked at people that are too careless or to rude to
    > use proper English.
    >
    > "migofast" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > It appears that BROL censors posts negitive to his sponsors. WE NEED THIS FORUM! To many people
    > > are migrating to BROL! You will not here the truth about there sponsors bad products and poor
    > > customer service on BROLL it will be censored. It is hard to do that here. We need the net to
    > > keep the manufacturers honest! We need to here honest reviews of products both positive and
    > > negitive.

  8. "migofast" skrev ...
    > It appears that BROL censors posts negitive to his sponsors. WE NEED THIS FORUM! To many people
    > are migrating to BROL! You will not here the truth about there sponsors bad products and poor
    > customer service on BROLL it will be censored. It is hard to do that here. We need the net to keep
    > the manufacturers honest! We need to here honest reviews of products both positive and negitive.

    The thread was removed for the nasty personal attacks AFAIK. Not because of any critique of
    Lightnings products. (and at any rate we already read that story here in the newsgroup long time ago
    the R-84 lemon I mean.)

    So repeat after me: "Just say NO"

    Mikael

  9. Tom Blum

    Tom Blum Guest

    --
    Miles of Smiles,

    Tom Blum Winter Haven, Florida Homebuilts: SWB Tour Easy Clone Speed Machine Clone

    www.gate.net/~teblum

  10. Ron Levine

    Ron Levine Guest

    On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 17:06:59 -0500, "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I got a chuckle from the handle this poster chose to use..."Migofast" (should be MeGoFast). Then I
    >noticed his Email address was [email protected] and it donned on me. Perhaps his abuse of the English
    >language was intentional. In Hollywood movies the traditional Neanderthal male spoke this way re:
    >me go here, me go fast, me go slow. Maybe his weakness in English was an intentional desire to
    >de-evolve and in his case it appears to be working.
    >
    >When I was a lad I had the misfortune to be placed in a R.C. school for a few years and my Grammar
    >teacher was Sister Mary Marquis de Sade who would walk up behind you with a wooden pointer (I swear
    >this was a Pool Cue) and give students a good whack IF she looked down at our workbook and saw a
    >misspelled Their/There or Hear/Here.

    Too bad she didn't apply the same cure for dawned/donned

    >"Blake McCully" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> ARRGH!!! Nothing gets my dander up more than illiterate people, unless it is illiterate people
    >> who flaunt their illiteracy in public. The first sentence below makes absolutely no sense. What
    >> the h**l did you mean to say? To many people are migrating to BROL! Shouldn't that article be
    >> TOO? You will not here the truth about there sponsors.... Come on, You will not HEAR the truth
    >> about THEIR sponsors. AGAIN, We need to here...,
    >>
    >> Do you know the difference between To, Too, and Two, how about There,
    >Their,
    >> and They're, how about Hear, and Here. I shudder to think how you use Weather and Whether.
    >>
    >> Sorry, just had to blow off steam. I get so ticked at people that are too careless or to rude to
    >> use proper English.
    >>
    >> "migofast" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]...
    >> > It appears that BROL censors posts negitive to his sponsors. WE NEED THIS FORUM! To many people
    >> > are migrating to BROL! You will not here the truth about there sponsors bad products and poor
    >> > customer service on BROLL it will be censored. It is hard to do that here. We need the net to
    >> > keep the manufacturers honest! We need to here honest reviews of products both positive and
    >> > negitive.

  11. Geoff Adams

    Geoff Adams Guest

    Go to BROL under the HPV message board and you will see that Bryan removed a thread called "U2". It
    seems like ti was due to some personal attacks going back and forth between a couple of posters.
    Seems to me like it was a case of "see me in my office after school" rather than censorship. I think
    Bryan has the right to moderate the board, and I have never heard of any attempt to remove posts
    that are critical of the products of sponsors.

    -Geoff

    Derek Swift wrote:
    > I am curious: what specifically was censored? I guess I am not aware of the censorship. The
    > multiple Bigha and Cannondale burnings were never censored. The only ones I am aware of are the
    > personal attacks on others.
    >
    > FWIW, many participate in both groups.
    >
    > In <[email protected]> migofast wrote:
    >
    >>It appears that BROL censors posts negitive to his sponsors. WE NEED THIS FORUM! To many people
    >>are migrating to BROL! You will not here the truth about there sponsors bad products and poor
    >>customer service on BROLL it will be censored. It is hard to do that here. We need the net to keep
    >>the manufacturers honest! We need to here honest reviews of products both positive and negitive.

  12. And I was sooo careful to not make any spelling errors when I wrote that lest I be called out for
    it...damn.
    "Ron Levine" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 17:06:59 -0500, "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I got a chuckle from the handle this poster chose to use..."Migofast" (should be MeGoFast). Then
    > >I noticed his Email address was [email protected] and it donned on me. Perhaps his abuse of the
    > >English language was intentional. In Hollywood movies the traditional Neanderthal male spoke
    this
    > >way re: me go here, me go fast, me go slow. Maybe his weakness in English was an intentional
    > >desire to de-evolve and in his case it appears to be working.
    > >
    > >When I was a lad I had the misfortune to be placed in a R.C. school for a few years and my
    > >Grammar teacher was Sister Mary Marquis de Sade who
    would
    > >walk up behind you with a wooden pointer (I swear this was a Pool Cue)
    and
    > >give students a good whack IF she looked down at our workbook and saw a misspelled Their/There or
    > >Hear/Here.
    >
    > Too bad she didn't apply the same cure for dawned/donned

    > >"Blake McCully" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >> ARRGH!!! Nothing gets my dander up more than illiterate people, unless it is illiterate people
    > >> who flaunt their illiteracy in public. The first sentence below makes absolutely no sense. What
    > >> the h**l did
    you
    > >> mean to say? To many people are migrating to BROL! Shouldn't that article be TOO? You will not
    > >> here the truth about there sponsors.... Come on, You will
    not
    > >> HEAR the truth about THEIR sponsors. AGAIN, We need to here...,
    > >>
    > >> Do you know the difference between To, Too, and Two, how about There,
    > >Their,
    > >> and They're, how about Hear, and Here. I shudder to think how you use Weather and Whether.
    > >>
    > >> Sorry, just had to blow off steam. I get so ticked at people that are
    too
    > >> careless or to rude to use proper English.
    > >>
    > >> "migofast" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >> news:[email protected]...
    poor

  13. Paul Worden

    Paul Worden Guest

    We can blame spell checkers for some of these problems. How often have you read something like "Hold
    on to you hats?"

    And the argument that it might be a second language has some merit. Isn't American a 'second
    language....:)!!!' Aaargghhh...No....Don't hit me.....

    I've enjoyed the interesting replies the Post produced, but I have absolutely no idea what the
    original Post meant.

    Paul W

  14. A&B

    A&B Guest

    Doesn't it seem like a "Spelling/Punctuation Post NeenerNeener" bot runs on the net and
    automatically buggers something- an infinitive here, a comma there, on the posts that digress into
    nitpicking about whether the period is inside or outside the quotes, and screws up something in the
    correctors post. Then I think it inserts an .edu address in the From line just to make Ms. Turabian
    dangle in her participle.;-) bill g

    Blake McCully wrote:
    > To many people are migrating to BROL!..... that are too careless or to rude to use proper English.

  15. Russ Price

    Russ Price Guest

    geoff adams <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Go to BROL under the HPV message board and you will see that Bryan removed a thread called "U2".
    > It seems like ti was due to some personal attacks going back and forth between a couple of
    > posters. Seems to me like it was a case of "see me in my office after school" rather than
    > censorship. I think Bryan has the right to moderate the board, and I have never heard of any
    > attempt to remove posts that are critical of the products of sponsors.

    Amen to that! Someone in the HPV Racing forum asked for information about the Lightning U2, and AA
    responded with a personal attack against Tim Brummer, or "Mr. U2" as AA referred to him. Apparently
    he had a very unhappy experience with an R-84 that he bought from Lightning (utterly unrelated to
    the U2, which is a modified M5 lowracer). This quickly degenerated into an all-out flamefest. My
    screen is still smoking from it. :eek:)

    IMHO, Bryan did the right thing. I hope cooler heads will prevail. Non-sequitur personal attacks are
    not the way to respond to a valid question.

    Disclaimer: I've never owned any Lightning products, and thus cannot comment one way or another
    about them, or about Lightning's customer service.
    --
    Russ Price * [email protected] * kill the wabbit to email

    "The Segway: revolutionizing the way people get hit by cars." -Robert Canon, in rec.bicycles.misc

  16. On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 00:43:27 GMT, Russ Price <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Amen to that! Someone in the HPV Racing forum asked for information about the Lightning U2, and AA
    >responded with a personal attack against Tim Brummer, or "Mr. U2" as AA referred to him. Apparently
    >he had a very unhappy experience with an R-84 that he bought from Lightning (utterly unrelated to
    >the U2, which is a modified M5 lowracer). This quickly degenerated into an all-out flamefest. My
    >screen is still smoking from it. :eek:)
    >
    >IMHO, Bryan did the right thing....

    IMHO the right thing to do is to lock the thread (i.e. do not allow any more posts to the thread),
    warn the offending users and if necessary, ban those users. But I don't like the practice of
    deleting posts - not because of "freedom of speech" issues, but because it leaves other uses in the
    dark about what happened. A message board is a community; we want the moderators to stop fights but
    we still want to know who was fighting and why. Deleting posts tend to result in accusations of
    censorship, like we just saw here.

    I'm a regular member on another (non-bike related) message board which has the policy of locking but
    never deleting offending threads, and it seems to work extremely well. Occasionally posts with
    inappropriate content (porn links or copyrighted material beyond the limits of fair use) are edited
    by the moderators but they always explain what was removed and why.

  17. Migofast

    Migofast Guest

    Russ Price <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > geoff adams <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > Go to BROL under the HPV message board and you will see that Bryan removed a thread called "U2".
    > > It seems like ti was due to some personal attacks going back and forth between a couple of
    > > posters. Seems to me like it was a case of "see me in my office after school" rather than
    > > censorship. I think Bryan has the right to moderate the board, and I have never heard of any
    > > attempt to remove posts that are critical of the products of sponsors.
    >
    > Amen to that! Someone in the HPV Racing forum asked for information about the Lightning U2, and AA
    > responded with a personal attack against Tim Brummer, or "Mr. U2" as AA referred to him.
    > Apparently he had a very unhappy experience with an R-84 that he bought from Lightning (utterly
    > unrelated to the U2, which is a modified M5 lowracer). This quickly degenerated into an all-out
    > flamefest. My screen is still smoking from it. :eek:)
    >
    > IMHO, Bryan did the right thing. I hope cooler heads will prevail. Non-sequitur personal attacks
    > are not the way to respond to a valid question.
    >
    > Disclaimer: I've never owned any Lightning products, and thus cannot comment one way or another
    > about them, or about Lightning's customer service.

    Censorship is censorship. The post should have stayed on the site. Locking out further posts would
    have been ok but the thread should have stayed. The point is we need forums like this just to keep
    sites like BROL honest. Ad dollars will corrupt it like everything else in the comercial world. As
    to the flames, I do believe Alan lost 9k on a bike from lightning? I would be ticked also if that
    happened to me. It seems that the other poster Ramjet took issue with Alan. Alan has every right to
    post what he did because it was an honest reaction to a very bad experience. I do believe Ramjet
    started the flames over Alan's negitive posts about lightning. We can't even check out the posts to
    make sure what was said since they were deleted! And the original poster specificly asked for
    opinions on the U2 lightning. So, Alan's posts were relevent. Lightning is known for poor customer
    service. And since you are all judging Alan why don't you send him a check? It was his 9k and not
    yours! I hope he keeps blasting Brummer whenever he gets the chance!

  18. What about NBC or OT?

    Please..

    "Blake McCully" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > ARRGH!!! Nothing gets my dander up more than illiterate people, unless it is illiterate people who
    > flaunt their illiteracy in public. The first sentence below makes absolutely no sense. What the
    > h**l did you mean to say? To many people are migrating to BROL! Shouldn't that article be TOO? You
    > will not here the truth about there sponsors.... Come on, You will not HEAR the truth about THEIR
    > sponsors. AGAIN, We need to here...,
    >
    > Do you know the difference between To, Too, and Two, how about There,
    Their,
    > and They're, how about Hear, and Here. I shudder to think how you use Weather and Whether.
    >
    > Sorry, just had to blow off steam. I get so ticked at people that are too careless or to rude to
    > use proper English.
    >
    > "migofast" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > It appears that BROL censors posts negitive to his sponsors. WE NEED THIS FORUM! To many people
    > > are migrating to BROL! You will not here the truth about there sponsors bad products and poor
    > > customer service on BROLL it will be censored. It is hard to do that here. We need the net to
    > > keep the manufacturers honest! We need to here honest reviews of products both positive and
    > > negitive.

  19. Derek Swift

    Derek Swift Guest

    > Go to BROL under the HPV message board and you will see that Bryan removed a thread called "U2".
    > It seems like ti was due to some personal attacks going back and forth between a couple of
    > posters.

    Where can I find these boards? Web address?

    Derek

  20. Derek Swift

    Derek Swift Guest

    > IMHO the right thing to do is to lock the thread (i.e. do not allow any more posts to the thread),
    > warn the offending users and if necessary, ban those users.

    The banning would not work on BROL. So many people that use it do not register anyway. Unless he
    figured out how to accept only "registered users".

    Derek