Brompton headset

Just zis Guy, you know?

Guest
Anyone got a nifty trick for dismantling a Brom headset? Mine's
getting a tiny bit slack, wants a service, but I can't get the
bugger apart.

Also, has anyone had a Brom pannier block fail? The lashing about
of the pannier on Cannon Street is alarming, but it seems to be
holding up thus far. Better than the front light brackets, anyway,
which are made of cheese.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

On May 7, 11:07 pm, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Anyone got a nifty trick for dismantling a Brom headset? Mine's
> getting a tiny bit slack, wants a service, but I can't get the
> bugger apart.
>
> Also, has anyone had a Brom pannier block fail? The lashing about
> of the pannier on Cannon Street is alarming, but it seems to be
> holding up thus far. Better than the front light brackets, anyway,
> which are made of cheese.

No tricks for the headset - my solution was to buy another
Brompton ;-)

(At some point I'll take the old bike into bikefix and get them to
replace it - but when I called they said they've never have to replace
a headset. Mine is slightly notched. I also need the rear hinge
replaced (second time) and various other bits and pieces that I'll do
myself)

My collegue had the bolts holding the pannier block sheer off. I've
had one bolt fall out and get lost - I didn't notice until the second
bolt started coming lose

Tim.

Quoting Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]>:
>Also, has anyone had a Brom pannier block fail?

If the bolts aren't done up super tight they loosen, but I don't know what
happened to you.

>holding up thus far. Better than the front light brackets, anyway,
>which are made of cheese.

Schmidt make a bracket for the E6 which also will accomodate a Lumotec
Plus.
Today is Second Monday, May.

On 08 May 2008 15:56:56 +0100 (BST), David Damerell
<[email protected]> said in
<eEu*[email protected]>:

>Schmidt make a bracket for the E6 which also will accomodate a Lumotec
>Plus.

But it probably won't fit under the Brom pannier, space is very
tight.

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> On 08 May 2008 15:56:56 +0100 (BST), David Damerell
> <[email protected]> said in
> <eEu*[email protected]>:
>
>> Schmidt make a bracket for the E6 which also will accomodate a Lumotec
>> Plus.

> But it probably won't fit under the Brom pannier, space is very
> tight.
>
> Guy

Do you /need/ the retro reflector? The lumotec consists of a small
reflector and a separate retro reflector around it. 5 minutes with
hacksaw and sandingbelt and you've got a very cute little light ;)

Not as cute as the upcoming Edelux though, but definitely cheaper ;)

--
/Marten

info(apestaartje)m-gineering(punt)nl

On Thu, 08 May 2008 21:53:40 +0200, M-gineering
<[email protected]> said in
<[email protected]>:

>Do you /need/ the retro reflector? The lumotec consists of a small
>reflector and a separate retro reflector around it. 5 minutes with
>hacksaw and sandingbelt and you've got a very cute little light ;)
>Not as cute as the upcoming Edelux though, but definitely cheaper ;)

I have a Topal with a borked casing due to some chav at Michael's
fpubby, I have it in mind to demolish this to fit, but it is
non-trivial.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Quoting Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]>:
><[email protected]> said in
>>Schmidt make a bracket for the E6 which also will accomodate a Lumotec
>>Plus.

>But it probably won't fit under the Brom pannier, space is very
>tight.

I think that was unclear. I mean, Schmidt make a bracket specifically for
mounting the E6 _on a Brompton_ (SJSC part no 11620) and a Lumotec
not-Oval Plus will mount with that bracket _on a Brompton_.
Today is Second Tuesday, May.

On 09 May 2008 17:14:08 +0100 (BST), David Damerell
<[email protected]> said in
<eBE*[email protected]>:

>I think that was unclear. I mean, Schmidt make a bracket specifically for
>mounting the E6 _on a Brompton_ (SJSC part no 11620) and a Lumotec
>not-Oval Plus will mount with that bracket _on a Brompton_.

Ah! Well that must be an improvement; although the E6 reflectors
tend to break off at the bayonet, they are a vastly better light
than the Brompton thing.