Brompton Mirror

Sam Salt

Guest
Does anyone use a handlebar mounted mirror on a Brompton ? Do some
compromise the folding or is there generally no problem.

Sam Salt

Hi Sam, yes. I have a B&M 'cycle stor' on my B and my wife's B has a Cateye.

The former has a spigot which fits directly inside the bar end with an
expansion type fitting. It needs a small amount of 'shaving' on the socket
of the spigot in order to increase the degree of movement of the mirror's
mounting ball for a full rearward view. Bought at York Cycleworks, about a
tenner.

The Cateye is mounted on an arm which fixes at a right angle, once again
inside the handlebar end with an expansion type fitting. Gives a better view
behind but, because of the arm, is subject to vibration. Bought at Halfords,
again about a tenner.

Neither interfere with folding, the B&M is small and light and does not need
any consideration when folding. The Cateye has to be swivelled, it's a
friction joint so this is done by hand (ie.without tools) when folding so
that the mirror 'sits' behind the rear wheel out of harms way when the B is
folded.

Choice of two then, I prefer the B&M as the vibration factor on the Cateye
can blur the image given the amount of movement/bounce in the B handlebar
set-up!
My wife prefers the Cateye (aren't the ladies lovely if not contrary!) as
the image is larger and sturdier. Two minutes to fit either.
Roger

Roger Hainsworth wrote:
> Hi Sam, yes. I have a B&M 'cycle stor' on my B and my wife's B has a
> Cateye.
>
> The former has a spigot which fits directly inside the bar end with an
> expansion type fitting. It needs a small amount of 'shaving' on the
> socket of the spigot in order to increase the degree of movement of
> the mirror's mounting ball for a full rearward view. Bought at York
> Cycleworks, about a tenner.
>
> The Cateye is mounted on an arm which fixes at a right angle, once
> again inside the handlebar end with an expansion type fitting. Gives
> a better view behind but, because of the arm, is subject to
> vibration. Bought at Halfords, again about a tenner.
>
> Neither interfere with folding, the B&M is small and light and does
> not need any consideration when folding. The Cateye has to be
> swivelled, it's a friction joint so this is done by hand (ie.without
> tools) when folding so that the mirror 'sits' behind the rear wheel
> out of harms way when the B is folded.
>
> Choice of two then, I prefer the B&M as the vibration factor on the
> Cateye can blur the image given the amount of movement/bounce in the
> B handlebar set-up!
> My wife prefers the Cateye (aren't the ladies lovely if not
> contrary!) as the image is larger and sturdier. Two minutes to fit
> either. Roger
>
>> Does anyone use a handlebar mounted mirror on a Brompton ? Do some
>> compromise the folding or is there generally no problem.
>>
>> Sam Salt

Thanks for the info Roger.

Sam Salt

Sam Salt wrote:

> Does anyone use a handlebar mounted mirror on a Brompton ? Do some
> compromise the folding or is there generally no problem.
>
> Sam Salt

I use a Zefal Dooback that fits in the end of the handlebar and folds
round out of the way for folding. The nice part is the fold has clicks
on it so its easy to click it back to the original position when you
unfold rather than having to fiddle to realign it. Nice big easy to see
in mirror as well.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/v2_product_detail.asp?ProdID=5300005839

Tony