Brompton: replacing the seat

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by David Wood, Jun 21, 2005.

  1. David Wood

    David Wood Guest

    I'm seriously considering a Brompton for commuting. Could anyone tell me if
    it's possible to put on any type of seat to replace the original.

    Tags:

  2. At Tue, 21 Jun 2005 18:55:57 +0000 (UTC), message
    <[email protected]> was posted by
    "David Wood" <[email protected]>, including some, all or none of the
    following:

    >I'm seriously considering a Brompton for commuting. Could anyone tell me if
    >it's possible to put on any type of seat to replace the original.

    Yes. But worry not: the Brooks B17 is available as a Brompton branded
    option :)

    Guy
    --
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

  3. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    David Wood wrote:
    > I'm seriously considering a Brompton for commuting. Could anyone tell me if
    > it's possible to put on any type of seat to replace the original.

    Up to a point. The seatpost has an old-stylee plain circular top rather
    than a micro-adjust mount.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  4. David Wood wrote:
    > I'm seriously considering a Brompton for commuting. Could anyone tell me if
    > it's possible to put on any type of seat to replace the original.

    Yes. No problem. The orig. seat on my L3 finally wore out (after much
    patching with duck tape) recently and I replaced it with another
    non-Brompton one. Now more comfortable and lighter as well.

  5. Peter Clinch wrote:
    > David Wood wrote:
    >
    >> I'm seriously considering a Brompton for commuting. Could anyone tell
    >> me if it's possible to put on any type of seat to replace the original.

    > Up to a point. The seatpost has an old-stylee plain circular top rather
    > than a micro-adjust mount.

    Though you can also replace the seatpost---worth considering if you are
    over 6 feet tall---and some of the replacement posts have better mounts.

    Colin

  6. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Colin Blackburn wrote:

    > Though you can also replace the seatpost---worth considering if you are
    > over 6 feet tall---and some of the replacement posts have better mounts.

    Not necessarily even 6'... I'm 5'8" with shortish legs (31 inside, IIRC)
    and I have the standard right at the top, with the saddle mounted as
    high as it will sit. I do like my saddle higher than most people of
    similar dimensions, but I doubt I'm unique and I'm certainly not leggy!

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  7. daren

    daren Guest

    Mine is a Flite Ti, mounted using an old fashioned saddle clamp on the
    longer standard seat post. If you are my height (average with 85cm
    standover) then you can set the saddle so you only have to pull it to
    maximum extention every time.

    If you go for the extended seatpost, then it comes with a more
    conventional saddle clamp. You can also fix this to extend to a set
    amount using some Heath Robinson adaptations with string and such...

    regards,
    daren
    --
    remove outer garment for reply