Brompton users

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by John Hemmings, Mar 22, 2003.

  1. Hi everyone, are there any 'Brompton' users who would like to share their experience of this bike,
    good/bad, with me/us. The reason I ask is that I'm thinking of purchasing one for coach and plane
    travel as taking a full size bike can be a problem or a costly experience. I've also just come back
    from Amsterdam and there were a few 'Bromptons' around and they seemed ideal for exploring the area.
    Many Thanks, John

    Tags:

  2. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    John Hemmings <john[email protected]> wrote:
    > Hi everyone, are there any 'Brompton' users who would like to share their experience of this bike,
    > good/bad, with me/us. The reason I ask is that I'm thinking of purchasing one for coach and plane
    > travel as taking a full size bike can be a problem or a costly experience. I've also just come
    > back from Amsterdam and there were a few 'Bromptons' around and they seemed ideal for exploring
    > the area. Many Thanks, John

    Have a look at the Folding Society web page - http://www.foldsoc.co.uk - which has comparative
    information about the various folding bikes. I have a Brommie and a Bike Friday. The Brommie is
    great for folding into a small package you can take on the train or into shops (rather than locking
    it outside). The folding is generally very well thought out. OTOH gearing is limited, the handling
    is a little nervous - I can easily get a fast shimmy going by riding one handed on a rough surface -
    and although people do tour fair distances on them I wouldn't out of choice. The Bike Friday OTOH
    behaves like a full size bike that folds and I ride as far as my full size road bike. OTOH while it
    folds to go in the car boot or in a suitcase for the plane its an ungainly folded package - as are
    most of the "performance folded bikes. Its the one I pack to go cycling/touring overseas though. So
    depending on what you want to do, the Brommie might or might not meet your needs. You could also
    look at the Birdy which is a halfway house.

    I can also recommend a visit to Avon Valley Cycles in Bath (http://www.foldingbikes.co.uk) who have
    many of the different folding bikes you can ride and play with folding to help make a choice.

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

    "I don't want any yes-men around me. I want everybody to tell me the truth even if it costs them
    their job."

    Samuel Goldwyn

  3. Smudger

    Smudger Guest

    "John Hemmings" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi everyone, are there any 'Brompton' users who would like to share their experience of this bike,
    > good/bad, with me/us. The reason I ask is that
    I'm
    > thinking of purchasing one for coach and plane travel as taking a full
    size
    > bike can be a problem or a costly experience. I've also just come back
    from
    > Amsterdam and there were a few 'Bromptons' around and they seemed ideal
    for
    > exploring the area. Many Thanks, John

    Hi John

    I've got an L6 that I've used for commuting. It's an excellent machine. If you're over 5' 10'' then
    you'll probably need the extended seat post which is an extra cost. I recommend the L6 over the L3
    as the gear jumps on the L3 are large meaning that you're heaving the pedals around one minute and
    then spinning the next. It's ideal for taking on the train. I don't bother covering mine as SWT
    guards don't seem to care about it being a folding bike. I've never taken it on a plane but I
    suspect you'll need to put it in some sort of hard case.

    My L6 is actually a converted L3 but I upgraded the standard kit with the proper narrow chainset to
    make it quieter.

    I don't use it anymore so I may sell. If you're local to Hampshire and are interested then drop me
    a mail at:

    pepeATtozzoDOTfreeserveDOTcoDOTuk

  4. peter

    peter Guest

    Hi John,

    I'll give you an answer in a few weeks time as I just ordered one last week. I prefer cycling to
    work as it takes only 10 mins longer than in the car (sometimes it's quicker if there's roadworks)
    and it's also 'free' time in that I get exercise without having to make time for it. The problem is
    getting home. It's 9 miles and the last 3 are uphill, not particularly steep, but sometimes I can't
    be bothered and if I get stuck working late and struggling against the wind /rain then it puts me
    off taking it for a few days / weeks. I thought I'd solved this last year when I put an engine
    (31cc Honda) on the back of my Dawes Street Life, converting it into a moped. It was great for
    doing the last few miles but I soon realised that having an assisted ride was only part of the
    problem - the other part was that I don't actually want to be out in the rain / wind on some
    nights. So that's why I thought I'd give the foldie a try. If I need to then I can just cycle along
    to the bus station at the end of the day and hop on. I went to the nearest dealer last week, left
    the car keys, and took off for a test ride on his demonstrator. If I'd only rode 100 yards then I
    probably wouldn't have gave it another thought as the handling seemed odd and I didn't think it
    capable of getting up much speed. But after 15 or 20 minutes away from the town centre it was ok
    and it grew on me quite quickly. It's quite expensive at 500 pounds but they seem to hold their
    value quite well so I'm confident that I could get 100 pounds worth of cycling on it (6 weeks) and
    sell it if need be for 400.

    Regards,

    Pete at angeltec co uk

    On Sat, 22 Mar 2003 07:38:18 -0000, "John Hemmings" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi everyone, are there any 'Brompton' users who would like to share their experience of this bike,
    >good/bad, with me/us. The reason I ask is that I'm thinking of purchasing one for coach and plane
    >travel as taking a full size bike can be a problem or a costly experience. I've also just come back
    >from Amsterdam and there were a few 'Bromptons' around and they seemed ideal for exploring the
    >area. Many Thanks, John

  5. Congokid

    Congokid Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, John Hemmings <[email protected]> writes
    >Hi everyone, are there any 'Brompton' users who would like to share their experience of this bike,
    >good/bad, with me/us. The reason I ask is that I'm thinking of purchasing one for coach and plane
    >travel as taking a full size bike can be a problem or a costly experience. I've also just come
    >back from Amsterdam and there were a few 'Bromptons' around and they seemed ideal for exploring
    >the area.

    I do about 10 miles every day in London on mine. It's great for going to meet friends after work as
    I can pedal to Butler's Wharf from the West End quickly, stick it behind the seat in the pub, then
    put in the boot of the taxi home when I've had a few drinks.

    I fold it and bring it into the cafe when I get my coffee in the morning, and I take it into most
    shops if I need to get something on the ride home from work.

    I also occasionally use it to travel around town at lunch time for hair dressing appointments and
    the like. However I haven't taken it to a client meeting yet!

    --
    congokid Eating out in London? Read my tips... http://congokid.com

  6. Smudger

    Smudger Guest

    "Smudger" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "John Hemmings" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi everyone, are there any 'Brompton' users who would like to share
    their
    > > experience of this bike, good/bad, with me/us. The reason I ask is that
    > I'm
    > > thinking of purchasing one for coach and plane travel as taking a full
    > size
    > > bike can be a problem or a costly experience. I've also just come back
    > from
    > > Amsterdam and there were a few 'Bromptons' around and they seemed ideal
    > for
    > > exploring the area. Many Thanks, John
    > >

    > Hi John
    >
    > I've got an L6 that I've used for commuting. It's an excellent machine.
    If
    > you're over 5' 10'' then you'll probably need the extended seat post which is an extra cost. I
    > recommend the L6 over the L3 as the gear jumps on the L3 are large meaning that you're heaving the
    > pedals around one minute and then spinning the next. It's ideal for taking on the train. I don't
    bother
    > covering mine as SWT guards don't seem to care about it being a folding bike. I've never taken it
    > on a plane but I suspect you'll need to put it
    in
    > some sort of hard case.
    >
    > My L6 is actually a converted L3 but I upgraded the standard kit with the proper narrow chainset
    > to make it quieter.
    >
    > I don't use it anymore so I may sell. If you're local to Hampshire and
    are
    > interested then drop me a mail at:
    >
    > pepeATtozzoDOTfreeserveDOTcoDOTuk

    Bike is no longer available.

  7. Bromptons can be commutor bikes, Touring bikes or in fact your only bike. Touring if modified
    sufficiently. See my webpages fpr Folding bikes (Mainly my Bromptons) John

    --
    John, Pauline & Hannah. Thornbury, South Gloucestershire. UK. http://www.pbase.com/john28july