Bron mandolin for $50 ???

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by [email protected]_is_not_a_real_address.com, Dec 7, 2005.

  1. Seth Goodman

    Seth Goodman Guest

  2. >When you put the mandoline in your cart, the
    >cart shows the price as $155.

    Ah, thanks. I obviously didn't think to do that.
    In that case, I've found the Professional Model 3839 for $135 with
    free shipping here:
    http://www.acitydiscount.com/NEW-Professional-Mandoline-with-Guard.0.22095.1.1.htm

    Is that a good deal?

    We've been using our cheap plastic V Slicer quite a bit now, and it's
    starting to crack and lose its edge.

    Is the Bron still overpriced at $135? Are there any other
    attachments/accessories that are necessary, and that will jack up the
    price?

  3. Not required but you might want to get the other widths of julienne
    cutters. I don't see them at that site though...

    [email protected]_is_not_a_real_address.com wrote:
    > >When you put the mandoline in your cart, the
    > >cart shows the price as $155.

    > Ah, thanks. I obviously didn't think to do that.
    > In that case, I've found the Professional Model 3839 for $135 with
    > free shipping here:
    > http://www.acitydiscount.com/NEW-Professional-Mandoline-with-Guard.0.22095.1.1.htm
    >
    > Is that a good deal?
    >
    > We've been using our cheap plastic V Slicer quite a bit now, and it's
    > starting to crack and lose its edge.
    >
    > Is the Bron still overpriced at $135? Are there any other
    > attachments/accessories that are necessary, and that will jack up the
    > price?

  4. Nancy1

    Nancy1 Guest

    [email protected]_is_not_a_real_address.com wrote:
    > >When you put the mandoline in your cart, the
    > >cart shows the price as $155.

    > Ah, thanks. I obviously didn't think to do that.
    > In that case, I've found the Professional Model 3839 for $135 with
    > free shipping here:
    > http://www.acitydiscount.com/NEW-Professional-Mandoline-with-Guard.0.22095.1.1.htm
    >
    > Is that a good deal?
    >
    > We've been using our cheap plastic V Slicer quite a bit now, and it's
    > starting to crack and lose its edge.
    >
    > Is the Bron still overpriced at $135? Are there any other
    > attachments/accessories that are necessary, and that will jack up the
    > price?

    There's some Asian device that is said to be just as good as the Bron,
    but much less expensive. Can't remember the name of it - check out an
    Asian market.

    N.

  5. Nancy1

    Nancy1 Guest

    [email protected]_is_not_a_real_address.com wrote:
    > >When you put the mandoline in your cart, the
    > >cart shows the price as $155.

    > Ah, thanks. I obviously didn't think to do that.
    > In that case, I've found the Professional Model 3839 for $135 with
    > free shipping here:
    > http://www.acitydiscount.com/NEW-Professional-Mandoline-with-Guard.0.22095.1.1.htm
    >
    > Is that a good deal?
    >
    > We've been using our cheap plastic V Slicer quite a bit now, and it's
    > starting to crack and lose its edge.
    >
    > Is the Bron still overpriced at $135? Are there any other
    > attachments/accessories that are necessary, and that will jack up the
    > price?

    There's some Asian device that is said to be just as good as the Bron,
    but much less expensive. Can't remember the name of it - check out an
    Asian market.

    N.

  6. notbob

    notbob Guest

    On 2005-12-07, [email protected]_is_not_a_real_address.com <> wrote:
    > Is this price too good to be true?

    No doubt, seeing as the cheapest I can find it is about $130. And
    what's with the 38 blades? Maybe they're "Lawn" attachments.

    nb

  7. notbob

    notbob Guest

    On 2005-12-07, [email protected]_is_not_a_real_address.com <> wrote:
    > Is this price too good to be true?

    No doubt, seeing as the cheapest I can find it is about $130. And
    what's with the 38 blades? Maybe they're "Lawn" attachments.

    nb

  8. Seth Goodman

    Seth Goodman Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, on 7
    Dec 2005 08:54:07 -0800, Nancy1 wrote:

    > There's some Asian device that is said to be just as good as the Bron,
    > but much less expensive. Can't remember the name of it - check out an
    > Asian market.

    Benriner. Made of plastic instead of metal, but definitely worth a look
    (at about $40) before shelling out $135.

    --
    Seth Goodman

  9. Seth Goodman

    Seth Goodman Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, on 7
    Dec 2005 08:54:07 -0800, Nancy1 wrote:

    > There's some Asian device that is said to be just as good as the Bron,
    > but much less expensive. Can't remember the name of it - check out an
    > Asian market.

    Benriner. Made of plastic instead of metal, but definitely worth a look
    (at about $40) before shelling out $135.

    --
    Seth Goodman

  10. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    notbob wrote:
    > On 2005-12-07, [email protected]_is_not_a_real_address.com <> wrote:
    >
    >>Is this price too good to be true?

    > No doubt, seeing as the cheapest I can find it is about $130. And
    > what's with the 38 blades? Maybe they're "Lawn" attachments.
    >
    > nb

    If you actually try to buy it, you will see that the replacement blades
    are $52, and the actual mandolin is $155 (still not a bad price, but
    probably not great)

    Bob

  11. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    notbob wrote:
    > On 2005-12-07, [email protected]_is_not_a_real_address.com <> wrote:
    >
    >>Is this price too good to be true?

    > No doubt, seeing as the cheapest I can find it is about $130. And
    > what's with the 38 blades? Maybe they're "Lawn" attachments.
    >
    > nb

    If you actually try to buy it, you will see that the replacement blades
    are $52, and the actual mandolin is $155 (still not a bad price, but
    probably not great)

    Bob

  12. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    "Seth Goodman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>, on 7
    > Dec 2005 08:54:07 -0800, Nancy1 wrote:
    >
    >> There's some Asian device that is said to be just as good as the Bron,
    >> but much less expensive. Can't remember the name of it - check out an
    >> Asian market.

    > Benriner. Made of plastic instead of metal, but definitely worth a look
    > (at about $40) before shelling out $135.
    >
    > --
    > Seth Goodman

    Just watch for any parts made with "chrome", which is a Chinese word for
    "instant rust upon first washing".

  13. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    "Seth Goodman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>, on 7
    > Dec 2005 08:54:07 -0800, Nancy1 wrote:
    >
    >> There's some Asian device that is said to be just as good as the Bron,
    >> but much less expensive. Can't remember the name of it - check out an
    >> Asian market.

    > Benriner. Made of plastic instead of metal, but definitely worth a look
    > (at about $40) before shelling out $135.
    >
    > --
    > Seth Goodman

    Just watch for any parts made with "chrome", which is a Chinese word for
    "instant rust upon first washing".

  14. notbob

    notbob Guest

    On 2005-12-07, Doug Kanter <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Just watch for any parts made with "chrome", which is a Chinese word for
    > "instant rust upon first washing".

    Not a problem with Benriner, a quality Japanese slicer with an
    excellent resharpenable blade. The only thing that might be an issue
    to some is the max 3/8" max slice thickness. If you ever want a half
    inch slice, you're SOL with a Bennie.

    nb