Bron mandolin for $50 ???

>When you put the mandoline in your cart, the
>cart shows the price as $155.

Ah, thanks. I obviously didn't think to do that.
In that case, I've found the Professional Model 3839 for $135 with
free shipping here:
http://www.acitydiscount.com/NEW-Professional-Mandoline-with-Guard.0.22095.1.1.htm

Is that a good deal?

We've been using our cheap plastic V Slicer quite a bit now, and it's
starting to crack and lose its edge.

Is the Bron still overpriced at $135? Are there any other
attachments/accessories that are necessary, and that will jack up the
price?

Not required but you might want to get the other widths of julienne
cutters. I don't see them at that site though...

Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com wrote:
> >When you put the mandoline in your cart, the
> >cart shows the price as $155.

> Ah, thanks. I obviously didn't think to do that.
> In that case, I've found the Professional Model 3839 for $135 with
> free shipping here:
> http://www.acitydiscount.com/NEW-Professional-Mandoline-with-Guard.0.22095.1.1.htm
>
> Is that a good deal?
>
> We've been using our cheap plastic V Slicer quite a bit now, and it's
> starting to crack and lose its edge.
>
> Is the Bron still overpriced at $135? Are there any other
> attachments/accessories that are necessary, and that will jack up the
> price?

Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com wrote:
> >When you put the mandoline in your cart, the
> >cart shows the price as $155.

> Ah, thanks. I obviously didn't think to do that.
> In that case, I've found the Professional Model 3839 for $135 with
> free shipping here:
> http://www.acitydiscount.com/NEW-Professional-Mandoline-with-Guard.0.22095.1.1.htm
>
> Is that a good deal?
>
> We've been using our cheap plastic V Slicer quite a bit now, and it's
> starting to crack and lose its edge.
>
> Is the Bron still overpriced at $135? Are there any other
> attachments/accessories that are necessary, and that will jack up the
> price?

There's some Asian device that is said to be just as good as the Bron,
but much less expensive. Can't remember the name of it - check out an
Asian market.

N.

Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com wrote:
> >When you put the mandoline in your cart, the
> >cart shows the price as $155.

> Ah, thanks. I obviously didn't think to do that.
> In that case, I've found the Professional Model 3839 for $135 with
> free shipping here:
> http://www.acitydiscount.com/NEW-Professional-Mandoline-with-Guard.0.22095.1.1.htm
>
> Is that a good deal?
>
> We've been using our cheap plastic V Slicer quite a bit now, and it's
> starting to crack and lose its edge.
>
> Is the Bron still overpriced at $135? Are there any other
> attachments/accessories that are necessary, and that will jack up the
> price?

There's some Asian device that is said to be just as good as the Bron,
but much less expensive. Can't remember the name of it - check out an
Asian market.

N.

In article <[email protected]>, on 7
Dec 2005 08:54:07 -0800, Nancy1 wrote:

> There's some Asian device that is said to be just as good as the Bron,
> but much less expensive. Can't remember the name of it - check out an
> Asian market.

Benriner. Made of plastic instead of metal, but definitely worth a look
(at about $40) before shelling out $135.

--
Seth Goodman

notbob wrote:
> On 2005-12-07, Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com <> wrote:
>
>>Is this price too good to be true?

> No doubt, seeing as the cheapest I can find it is about $130. And
> what's with the 38 blades? Maybe they're "Lawn" attachments.
>
> nb

If you actually try to buy it, you will see that the replacement blades
are $52, and the actual mandolin is $155 (still not a bad price, but
probably not great)

Bob

notbob wrote:
> On 2005-12-07, Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com <> wrote:
>
>>Is this price too good to be true?

> No doubt, seeing as the cheapest I can find it is about $130. And
> what's with the 38 blades? Maybe they're "Lawn" attachments.
>
> nb

If you actually try to buy it, you will see that the replacement blades
are $52, and the actual mandolin is $155 (still not a bad price, but
probably not great)

Bob

"Seth Goodman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, on 7
> Dec 2005 08:54:07 -0800, Nancy1 wrote:
>
>> There's some Asian device that is said to be just as good as the Bron,
>> but much less expensive. Can't remember the name of it - check out an
>> Asian market.

> Benriner. Made of plastic instead of metal, but definitely worth a look
> (at about $40) before shelling out $135.
>
> --
> Seth Goodman

Just watch for any parts made with "chrome", which is a Chinese word for
"instant rust upon first washing".

On 2005-12-07, Doug Kanter <[email protected]> wrote:

> Just watch for any parts made with "chrome", which is a Chinese word for
> "instant rust upon first washing".

Not a problem with Benriner, a quality Japanese slicer with an
excellent resharpenable blade. The only thing that might be an issue
to some is the max 3/8" max slice thickness. If you ever want a half
inch slice, you're SOL with a Bennie.

nb