Bronchioloalveolar Carcinoma

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Pia, Feb 10, 2004.

  1. Pia

    Pia Guest

    My friend was just diagnosed with this. The non-operable kind, though it hasn't yet spread. I can't
    seem to find much information about this. Anyone know anything they can share, please?

    Thank you, Pia

    Tags:

  2. Sharon

    Sharon Guest

    "Pia" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > My friend was just diagnosed with this. The non-operable kind, though it hasn't yet spread. I
    > can't seem to find much information about this. Anyone know anything they can share, please?

    This may be why you are having difficulty finding info. Notice the different spellings.

    Bronchioalveolar carcinoma: http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/news/BAC_therapy.html

    http://www.lungcancerfyi.com/lung_cancer_treatment.html

    Bronchoalveolar carcinoma:
    http://www.lungcancer.org/health_care/focus_on_lc/treatment/types_of_lc.htm

    http://www.emedicinehealth.com/articles/15405-1.asp scroll to bottom of page to click link to the

    Bronchioloalveolar Carcinoma: (free Medscape membership is needed for the first one, but it is a
    good article) http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/461302

    http://www.lungcanceronline.org/treatment-nsclc/bac.html
    --
    Take Care, Sharon Lane
    http://www.rare-cancer.org

  3. J

    J Guest

    Pia wrote:

    > My friend was just diagnosed with this. The non-operable kind, though it hasn't yet spread. I
    > can't seem to find much information about this. Anyone know anything they can share, please?
    >
    > Thank you, Pia

    Hello Pia,

    Lung cancers are classified as SCLC or NSCLC (small cell lung cancer or non small cell cancer) I'm
    going to post what I found

    http://info.cancer.ca/e/glossary/B/Bronchioloavelolar_Lung_Cancer.htm Bronchioloalveolar Lung Cancer
    A type of lung cancer that tends to develop in the outer areas of the lung and spread along the
    walls of the smaller airways (alveoli and bronchioles) of the lung.

    http://tinyurl.com/3cfg6 ASCO website News from the 2003 ASCO Annual BAC, or bronchioloalveolar cell
    carcinoma, is a form of non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). Until recently, it was thought that BAC
    was a rare cancer, but now researchers think that up to 20% of all NSCLCs contain some BAC.
    Generally, BAC tumors grow more slowly than other lung cancers, but after treatment these tumors
    often recur in multiple areas of the lung. BAC usually does not respond to treatment.

    http://tinyurl.com/35kqu - Steph (Radiation Oncologist ) from the newsgroup archives. Curative
    treatment is surgical. Radiation and chemo have a limited benefit. Unfortunately, it is often
    advanced by the time of diagnosis, and not surgically treatable. Having said that, in some patients,
    it is a very indolent (grows slowly) disease.

    So PIA your friend may want to consult a radiation oncologist to discuss whether radiation therapy
    would be of benefit (vs any negatives) and if not, just treat it symptomatically as it grows. And
    seek palliative care if severe.

    That's my non-doctor understanding of this type of cancer. Steph will be back in approx a week.

    Please feel free to join us on news:alt.support.cancer We have lots of resources for you and
    support. Also watch for other replies here, in case I'm wrong. Keep in touch. J-not a doctor

    PS There's also a private ACOR mail list here for that type http://listserv.acor.org/archives/lung-
    bac.html or NSCLC http://listserv.acor.org/archives/lung-nsclc.html

  4. Jack

    Jack Guest

    You might want to check www.robertsreview.com for latest interviews (audio, video, and transcripts)
    on new treatment protocols, new treatments/drugs, research breakthroughs, and latest pain management
    techniques. (I think they also offer special financial help to cancer patients...along with "top
    cancer treatment" hospitals/clinis.)

    I check 'em once or twice a week for treatment updates at http://www.robertsreview.com

    Hope this may be of some help to you.

    Jack