Brookes Saddle - yeeha!!

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Dave, Mar 5, 2003.

  1. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Finally maaged to get me bum on a Brookes today. Entry level B17. Swapped it in the shop for me
    plastic pseudo gel saddle. Shop assistant warned me it would be painful, at least initially. Decided
    to take it for a tentative 30 mile ride, in the rain...lots of rain. With the bike finally looking
    like a 'proper bike', I tested my resolve for doing the LEJOG in a couple of weeks, after all, it'll
    probably rain for my entire attempt...there'll be this little grey cloud follow me all the way down
    ;-). So, new leather saddle and lots of water. Got home and although I could no longer feel my
    fingers or toes, me bum was singing the praises of the leather saddle. Barely noticed it !...if it's
    this comfortable brand new, can't wait for it to get worn in ;-) Cheers, Dave (and his happy bum ;-)

    Tags:

  2. Smudger

    Smudger Guest

    "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Finally maaged to get me bum on a Brookes today. Entry level B17. Swapped
    it
    > in the shop for me plastic pseudo gel saddle. Shop assistant warned me it would be painful, at
    > least initially. Decided to take it for a tentative
    30
    > mile ride, in the rain...lots of rain. With the bike finally looking like a 'proper bike', I
    > tested my resolve
    for
    > doing the LEJOG in a couple of weeks, after all, it'll probably rain for
    my
    > entire attempt...there'll be this little grey cloud follow me all the way down ;-). So, new
    > leather saddle and lots of water. Got home and although I could no longer feel my fingers or
    > toes, me bum
    was
    > singing the praises of the leather saddle. Barely noticed it !...if it's this comfortable brand
    > new, can't wait for it to get worn in ;-) Cheers, Dave (and his happy bum ;-)

    Oh yes. I've got a titanium Brooks Swift on my bike. Lovely but took about forty hours of riding to
    break in. Once it's broken in it's yours for life. I'm just about to fit a sprung Brooks saddle to
    my not so good bike.

  3. Geoff Bowles

    Geoff Bowles Guest

    Nice to know they're still available. I have a "Brooks Professional" on my old Holdsworth racer and
    it's still comfy after more then ..ahem ...years. I wonder why you don't see more around - I can't
    really see how "technology" can make a plastic/leather saddle work any better?

    Having said that, I have a modern plastic/leather saddle on my Marin mountain bike, as it's rather
    more practical for wet, muddy conditions, but there are scratches and cuts on the leather covering
    that the Brooks would shrug off....

    "Smudger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Finally maaged to get me bum on a Brookes today. Entry level B17.
    Swapped
    > it
    > > in the shop for me plastic pseudo gel saddle. Shop assistant warned me
    it
    > > would be painful, at least initially. Decided to take it for a tentative
    > 30
    > > mile ride, in the rain...lots of rain. With the bike finally looking like a 'proper bike', I
    > > tested my resolve
    > for
    > > doing the LEJOG in a couple of weeks, after all, it'll probably rain for
    > my
    > > entire attempt...there'll be this little grey cloud follow me all the
    way
    > > down ;-). So, new leather saddle and lots of water. Got home and although I could no longer feel
    > > my fingers or toes, me bum
    > was
    > > singing the praises of the leather saddle. Barely noticed it !...if it's this comfortable brand
    > > new, can't wait for it to get worn in ;-) Cheers, Dave (and his happy bum ;-)
    > >

    > Oh yes. I've got a titanium Brooks Swift on my bike. Lovely but took
    about
    > forty hours of riding to break in. Once it's broken in it's yours for
    life.
    > I'm just about to fit a sprung Brooks saddle to my not so good bike.

  4. Ian D

    Ian D Guest

    ...bicycles with saddles - how quaint :)

    ok, I admit it I do have some of those too...

  5. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Geoff Bowles wrote:
    > Nice to know they're still available. I have a "Brooks Professional" on my old Holdsworth racer
    > and it's still comfy after more then ..ahem ...years. I wonder why you don't see more around - I
    > can't really see how "technology" can make a plastic/leather saddle work any better?

    You don't see them around because you can't market stuff that isn't "sporty" and/or high tech to the
    majority of UK cycle buyers. And even if you *could* do that, very few believe that a piece of kit
    that looks as though you could use as a cricket bat could *possibly* be more comfortable than a
    super-duper computer designed anatomical wonder saddle with trendy cutout and squidgy padding. But
    as has been pointed out before, a Brooks is heavy, relatively expensive, almost always an extra
    purchase and needs extra TLC compared to something modern, yet you *still* see a disproportionate
    number of serious touring machinery running with them. And there's a good reason for that!

    > Having said that, I have a modern plastic/leather saddle on my Marin mountain bike, as it's rather
    > more practical for wet, muddy conditions, but there are scratches and cuts on the leather covering
    > that the Brooks would shrug off....

    I thought that, but eventually just *had* to put a B17 on my MTB after a 25 mile ride on its
    "comfort gel" predecessor left me barely able to walk. Haven't had any problems with it, you just
    proofide the bottom as well as the top.

    Not as comfy as the chair on my 'bent, but the B66 on my old tourer is easily the most comfortable
    saddle I've used on any bike (like Dave's new B17, it was more comfortable out of the box and just
    got better and better). And I've got the Brompton/Brooks on the Brommie as well. I did try one of
    the Speccy "Body Geometry" things for 5 miles last year, bloody 'ell it were grim!

    Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  6. Mark

    Mark Guest

    You *did* put Proofide or some other kind of waterproofing on it, before riding in the rain, didn't
    you? It's also a good idea to put some kind of waterproof cover (bin liner, grocery bag, purpose
    made Carradice saddle cover) on a Brooks before riding in the rain.

    Stories about Brooks saddle needing a painful break in period are greatly exaggerated, IME. No break
    in necessary on the B17 or the Colt for me.

    Here's to many mile on the Brooks.
    --
    mark "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Finally maaged to get me bum on a Brookes today. Entry level B17. Swapped
    it
    > in the shop for me plastic pseudo gel saddle. Shop assistant warned me it would be painful, at
    > least initially. Decided to take it for a tentative
    30
    > mile ride, in the rain...lots of rain. With the bike finally looking like a 'proper bike', I
    > tested my resolve
    for
    > doing the LEJOG in a couple of weeks, after all, it'll probably rain for
    my
    > entire attempt...there'll be this little grey cloud follow me all the way down ;-). So, new
    > leather saddle and lots of water. Got home and although I could no longer feel my fingers or
    > toes, me bum
    was
    > singing the praises of the leather saddle. Barely noticed it !...if it's this comfortable brand
    > new, can't wait for it to get worn in ;-) Cheers, Dave (and his happy bum ;-)

  7. Trealaw Boy

    Trealaw Boy Guest

    --------------E2DC69C922A3E1E3E50580F5 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

    I agree, you'll need to look after your saddle in the wet. You can find out how to look after the
    addle in the FAQs at www.brookssaddles.com.

    I'm the happy owner of a B66 and two Conquests. They're all very comfortable and required minimal
    breaking in.

    TB

    mark wrote:

    > You *did* put Proofide or some other kind of waterproofing on it, before riding in the rain,
    > didn't you? It's also a good idea to put some kind of waterproof cover (bin liner, grocery bag,
    > purpose made Carradice saddle cover) on a Brooks before riding in the rain.
    >
    > Stories about Brooks saddle needing a painful break in period are greatly exaggerated, IME. No
    > break in necessary on the B17 or the Colt for me.
    >
    > Here's to many mile on the Brooks.
    > --
    > mark "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Finally maaged to get me bum on a Brookes today. Entry level B17. Swapped
    > it
    > > in the shop for me plastic pseudo gel saddle. Shop assistant warned me it would be painful, at
    > > least initially. Decided to take it for a tentative
    > 30
    > > mile ride, in the rain...lots of rain. With the bike finally looking like a 'proper bike', I
    > > tested my resolve
    > for
    > > doing the LEJOG in a couple of weeks, after all, it'll probably rain for
    > my
    > > entire attempt...there'll be this little grey cloud follow me all the way down ;-). So, new
    > > leather saddle and lots of water. Got home and although I could no longer feel my fingers or
    > > toes, me bum
    > was
    > > singing the praises of the leather saddle. Barely noticed it !...if it's this comfortable brand
    > > new, can't wait for it to get worn in ;-) Cheers, Dave (and his happy bum ;-)

    --------------E2DC69C922A3E1E3E50580F5 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii

    <!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en"> <html> I agree, you'll need to look
    after your saddle in the wet. You can find out how to look after the addle in the FAQs at <a
    href="http://www.brookssaddles.com">www.brookssaddles.com.</a><a
    href="http://www.brookssaddles.com"></a>
    minimal breaking in.
    <q>TB
    <r>mark wrote: <blockquote TYPE=CITE>You *did* put Proofide or some other kind of waterproofing on
    it, before <br>riding in the rain, didn't you? It's also a good idea to put some kind of
    Brooks before riding in the rain.
    <s>Stories about Brooks saddle needing a painful break in period are greatly <br>exaggerated, IME.
    No break in necessary on the B17 or the Colt for
    sa.
    message <br><a href="news:[email protected]">news:L2t9a.320$Py6.194-
    @news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk</a>... <br>> Finally maaged to get me bum on a Brookes today. Entry
    level B17. Swapped <br>it <br>> in the shop for me plastic pseudo gel saddle. Shop assistant
    warned me it <br>> would be painful, at least initially. Decided to take it for a tentative
    'proper bike', I tested my resolve <br>for <br>> doing the LEJOG in a couple of weeks, after all,
    it'll probably rain for <br>my <br>> entire attempt...there'll be this little grey cloud follow
    although I could no longer feel my fingers or toes, me bum <br>was <br>> singing the praises of
    the leather saddle. Barely noticed it !...if it's <br>> this comfortable brand new, can't wait

    --------------E2DC69C922A3E1E3E50580F5--

  8. Ric

    Ric Guest

    "Geoff Bowles" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:5pw9a.10[email protected]...
    > Nice to know they're still available. I have a "Brooks Professional" on my old Holdsworth racer
    > and it's still comfy after more then ..ahem ...years.
    > wonder why you don't see more around -

    You see a lot more in Germany and Holland, where bikes are used extensively for practical transport.
    In UK or France, where bikes are used mostly for sport (or wannabee sport), they are not as popular
    because of their unfashionable look.

  9. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Dave <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Finally maaged to get me bum on a Brookes today. Entry level B17.

    Congratulations I didn't feel like a "real" cyclist until I fitted a Brookes saddle. Am I the only
    one that actually looks at the bike when you pass it and admires the saddle and it's rapidly
    arriving patina?

    --
    Marc Tabards, banners and signs for fundraising events and charities
    http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk/

  10. Marc

    Marc Guest

    wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter <[email protected]> wrote:

    > >as though you could use as a cricket bat could *possibly* be more comfortable than a super-duper
    > >computer designed anatomical wonder saddle with trendy cutout and squidgy padding.
    >
    > Ah but my nether regions seem to adore my Terry's Liberator TiLite with trendy cut-out bit. Very
    > comfortable :)

    My wife uses the same, after a terrible , wet, 25 mile off road ride where she could barely walk
    afterwards...!

    The Bonjela didn't help either! :-(

    --
    Marc Tabards, banners and signs for fundraising events and charities
    http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk/

  11. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    mark wrote:
    > You *did* put Proofide or some other kind of waterproofing on it, before riding in the rain,
    > didn't you? It's also a good idea to put some kind of waterproof cover (bin liner, grocery bag,
    > purpose made Carradice saddle cover) on a Brooks before riding in the rain.

    Mine are all Proofide-ed but I've never bothered putting a cover on to ride it. Doesn't seem to have
    done them any harm despite seeing a lot of rain over the years. I usually pop a carrier bag over the
    saddle if I've parked in the rain, but would do that on a plastic saddle anyway simply as getting on
    a wet seat is generally less fun than a dry one...

    Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  12. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    marc wrote:

    > Congratulations I didn't feel like a "real" cyclist until I fitted a Brookes saddle. Am I the only
    > one that actually looks at the bike when you pass it and admires the saddle and it's rapidly
    > arriving patina?

    The Brooks on the Brompton actually garners quite a bit of admiration all of its own when the bike's
    sat in the corner of a pub and/or having the fold demonstrated to amazed and curious onlookers. It's
    one of the brown ones, which do look rather good IMHO, and its presence seems to suggest to regular
    cyclists that the Brompton really must be a "proper" bike despite appearances contrary to typical
    received "wisdom".

    Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  13. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    > The Brooks on the Brompton actually garners quite a bit of admiration all of its own when the
    > bike's sat in the corner of a pub and/or having the fold demonstrated to amazed and curious
    > onlookers. It's one of the brown ones, which do look rather good IMHO, and its presence seems to
    > suggest to regular cyclists that the Brompton really must be a "proper" bike despite appearances
    > contrary to typical received "wisdom".

    As a non-leather-buying person I don't do Brooks but the Brompton- specific Brooks is very
    impressive. It's not just the look but the excellently designed "handle" formed by the rails near
    the nose of the saddle.

    Colin

  14. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Colin Blackburn wrote:

    > As a non-leather-buying person I don't do Brooks but the Brompton- specific Brooks is very
    > impressive. It's not just the look but the excellently designed "handle" formed by the rails near
    > the nose of the saddle.

    Though OTOH they do rather dig into one's shoulder if you're just hooking it over to carry up
    stairs. Hey ho...

    Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  15. Marc

    Marc Guest

    wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter <[email protected]> wrote:

    > >My wife uses the same, after a terrible , wet, 25 mile off road ride where she could barely walk
    > >afterwards...!
    > >
    > >The Bonjela didn't help either! :-(
    > >

    > Bonjela on the nether regions????? Ack! No!!! Bonjela is for mouth ulcers! Germolene, Savlon etc
    > for the nether regions.

    We were casting around for something to take the pain away, mouth /nether regions both mucus
    prouducing membranes,Bonjela numbs mouth so....

    >Oh no, not Bonjela on the nether regions - I'm sure that would make a body wince ;-)

    It did! :-(

    She screamed and levitated! :-(

  16. Bryan Hill

    Bryan Hill Guest

    By the way, what is the BEST Brookes saddle to have for touring purposes? Bought a Galaxy last May,
    came with the Selle San Marco Rolls leather saddle. Now after about 1500 miles, I wish I had broken
    in a good Brookes.

    Used to have a Brookes Pro on an old Gitane Pro Tour de France. Very comfy, but no longer
    have the bike.

    Which one to buy?

    Cheers all Bryan

    On Wed, 5 Mar 2003 20:24:14 -0000, "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Finally maaged to get me bum on a Brookes today. Entry level B17. Swapped it in the shop for me
    >plastic pseudo gel saddle. Shop assistant warned me it would be painful, at least initially.
    >Decided to take it for a tentative 30 mile ride, in the rain...lots of rain. With the bike finally
    >looking like a 'proper bike', I tested my resolve for doing the LEJOG in a couple of weeks, after
    >all, it'll probably rain for my entire attempt...there'll be this little grey cloud follow me all
    >the way down ;-). So, new leather saddle and lots of water. Got home and although I could no longer
    >feel my fingers or toes, me bum was singing the praises of the leather saddle. Barely noticed it
    >!...if it's this comfortable brand new, can't wait for it to get worn in ;-) Cheers, Dave (and his
    >happy bum ;-)

  17. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Peter Clinch" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter wrote:
    >
    > > Ah but my nether regions seem to adore my Terry's Liberator TiLite with
    trendy
    > > cut-out bit. Very comfortable :)
    >
    > A good high tech saddle is certainly much better than a typical one. My flatmate has a Terry
    > saddle with a hole, and I must say I was quite impressed when I tried it. But not as impressed as
    > with my Brooks saddles.
    >
    > It's difficult to say how good something *really* is without using the alternatives. I thought the
    > gel saddle on my old tourer was really good because it was much better than the one it replaced,
    > but it's a fraction of the comfort of the B66 on it now (though of course saddles are personal
    > things: I doubt a Brooks will work for everyone).
    >
    > And one must be wary of using absolutes when describing comfort. Though you say your saddle is
    > "Very comfortable :)", you still say you see it as a no-brainer to wear padded shorts on even a
    > short trundle as they make such a big comfort difference to you... A *truly* comfortable mount
    > wouldn't need that (and yes, I wear padded shorts for any long trip (say, > 10 miles) on a Brooks,
    > but I never bother on the 'bent).
    >
    > Pete.
    > --
    Haven't got round to wearing padded shorts yet as I never did in me yoof, so I know it's possible to
    get pure comfort from the right saddle, i.e, get off after a long ride to find you are not suffering
    from a singing ring in any shape or form ;-) - hence the joy with the Brookes. I can just feel it's
    'right' after the first jaunt. It can only get better (more joy :)...and as daft as it sounds, I
    think the 'breathability' of leather helps. Ultimately, all the hitech saddles in the world have
    some form of non-breathable plastic between your bum and the outside world. I know you don't really
    'breath through your bum', but I just feel it's relevant ;-) cheers, Dave.

  18. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Ian D" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > ...bicycles with saddles - how quaint :)
    >
    > ok, I admit it I do have some of those too...

    Bikes without saddles - how perverted ;-)

  19. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Peter Clinch" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > mark wrote:
    > > You *did* put Proofide or some other kind of waterproofing on it, before riding in the rain,
    > > didn't you? It's also a good idea to put some kind
    of
    > > waterproof cover (bin liner, grocery bag, purpose made Carradice saddle cover) on a Brooks
    > > before riding in the rain.
    >
    > Mine are all Proofide-ed but I've never bothered putting a cover on to ride it. Doesn't seem to
    > have done them any harm despite seeing a lot of rain over the years. I usually pop a carrier bag
    > over the saddle if I've parked in the rain, but would do that on a plastic saddle anyway simply as
    > getting on a wet seat is generally less fun than a dry one...
    >
    > Pete.
    > --
    > Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells
    > Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]
    > http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

    Nah mate, rufty-tufty wolves lad. I had a Brookes on my BSA Sportsman when I were a lad. Never
    realised that saddles were supposed to hurt, such was the comfort of that saddle. Also never
    realised you were supposed to care for such products, so that saddle saw it all and never
    complained once. I did buy some proofide with this saddle, and was advised to put the saddle in a
    very low oven for a while after applying the substance. Apparently this is what they used to do
    when they raced, in the good old days. I asked about taking the saddle out in t'rain with no
    treatment and was told it'd be fine, just get some on once it's dried off. Haven't been out on it
    today but have spent a good few minutes looking at it and dribbling (Homer stylee;-) - not onto the
    saddle I hasten to add...and thanked my wife a lot as she's bought it me for my birthday (sad, I
    know, but....) Cheers, Dave.

  20. Bryan Hill <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > By the way, what is the BEST Brookes saddle to have for touring purposes? Bought a Galaxy last
    > May, came with the Selle San Marco Rolls leather saddle. Now after about 1500 miles, I wish I had
    > broken in a good Brookes.
    >
    > Used to have a Brookes Pro on an old Gitane Pro Tour de France. Very comfy, but no longer have
    > the bike.
    >
    > Which one to buy?

    The one that's the same shape as your bum.

    Brooks saddles improve with riding (aka breaking in), unlike plastic saddles, but the closer they
    are to right in the beginning, the better they'll be. I've done a 400k on a brand-new Professional
    with no problems, but I don't get on with a Colt or Swift at all.

    Another recommendation is to keep a comfy saddle when you sell the rest of the bike - you can always
    get something cheap to give away if necessary.

    Andrew