Brookes saddles

Doki

Guest
I keep seeing a white brookes saddle advertised cheap. If I bought it, is
there anything I could use (normal shoe / leather polish??) to make it black
or tan rather than white? Obviously, I'd like something that wouldn't leave
my backside the same colour as the saddle after I get off it.

Doki wrote:
> I keep seeing a white brookes saddle advertised cheap. If I bought it, is
> there anything I could use (normal shoe / leather polish??) to make it black
> or tan rather than white? Obviously, I'd like something that wouldn't leave
> my backside the same colour as the saddle after I get off it.

Is that a problem if you are wearing black cycling shorts? Try some
black liquid shoe polish.

Mike

Mike McGuire wrote:
> Doki wrote:
>> I keep seeing a white brookes saddle advertised cheap. If I bought
>> it, is there anything I could use (normal shoe / leather polish??)
>> to make it black or tan rather than white? Obviously, I'd like
>> something that wouldn't leave my backside the same colour as the
>> saddle after I get off it.
>>

> Is that a problem if you are wearing black cycling shorts? Try some
> black liquid shoe polish.

Black cycling shorts? Me? Think baggy jeans and a chainguard ;). Bicycle
clips if I'm wearing trousers on the mountain bike.

color bleed is one of the reasons that cycling shorts are black. Get
some leather dye (don't use polishes, many contain laquer that will ruin
the saddle).

- -

"May you have the wind at your back.
And a really low gear for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner
http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

From: [email protected] (Doki)
>Black cycling shorts? Me? Think baggy >jeans and a chainguard ;).

Bicycle
>clips if I'm wearing trousers on the
>mountain bike.

Then may I suggest asking around to see if anyone knows where you can
get a saddle cover (very popular during the various colored shorts
days)?

- -

On Fri, 07 May 2004 17:04:51 +0000, Mike McGuire wrote:
> Is that a problem if you are wearing black cycling shorts? Try some
> black liquid shoe polish.

You must look awful silly at the theater in cycling shorts... or grocery
shopping.

Do really change your clothes every time you get on and off your bicycle?
That's a whole lot of work for no apparent benefit.

EK

"Doki" <[email protected]> writes:

>I keep seeing a white brookes saddle advertised cheap. If I bought it, is
>there anything I could use (normal shoe / leather polish??) to make it black
>or tan rather than white? Obviously, I'd like something that wouldn't leave
>my backside the same colour as the saddle after I get off it.

Ahem. Brooks does not currently sell a white saddle, as far as I know
(www.permaco.com). Are you sure these are genuine brooks saddles ??
I would be a little suspicious of a white brooks saddle ... (what made
it white?)

- Don Gillies

Doki wrote:

> I keep seeing a white brookes saddle advertised cheap. If I bought it, is
> there anything I could use (normal shoe / leather polish??) to make it black
> or tan rather than white? Obviously, I'd like something that wouldn't leave
> my backside the same colour as the saddle after I get off it.

Are you sure it isn't a vinyl model from a Triumph three speed?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Donald Gillies wrote:

> "Doki" <[email protected]> writes:
>

>>I keep seeing a white brookes saddle advertised cheap. If I bought it, is
>>there anything I could use (normal shoe / leather polish??) to make it black
>>or tan rather than white? Obviously, I'd like something that wouldn't leave
>>my backside the same colour as the saddle after I get off it.

> Ahem. Brooks does not currently sell a white saddle, as far as I know
> (www.permaco.com). Are you sure these are genuine brooks saddles ??
> I would be a little suspicious of a white brooks saddle ... (what made
> it white?)

Brooks made some rather nasty non-leather saddles in the 1980s,
including those hard plastic ones with no padding and three little round
holes (which my friends swore were to allow flatulence to escape).

Donald Gillies wrote:
> "Doki" <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> I keep seeing a white brookes saddle advertised cheap. If I bought
>> it, is there anything I could use (normal shoe / leather polish??)
>> to make it black or tan rather than white? Obviously, I'd like
>> something that wouldn't leave my backside the same colour as the
>> saddle after I get off it.

> Ahem. Brooks does not currently sell a white saddle, as far as I know
> (www.permaco.com). Are you sure these are genuine brooks saddles ??
> I would be a little suspicious of a white brooks saddle ... (what made
> it white?)

I've not seen it, I just keep seeing "Brookes leather saddle, white"
advertised in the small ads paper. And it keeps getting cheaper. Down to £3
or so now.

A Muzi wrote:
> Doki wrote:
>
>> I keep seeing a white brookes saddle advertised cheap. If I bought
>> it, is there anything I could use (normal shoe / leather polish??)
>> to make it black or tan rather than white? Obviously, I'd like
>> something that wouldn't leave my backside the same colour as the
>> saddle after I get off it.
>>

> Are you sure it isn't a vinyl model from a Triumph three speed?

The ad says "Brookes leather saddle" or some such. I've not seen it though

Zog The Undeniable wrote:
> Donald Gillies wrote:
>> "Doki" <[email protected]> writes:
>>
>>> I keep seeing a white brookes saddle advertised cheap. If I bought
>>> it, is there anything I could use (normal shoe / leather polish??)
>>> to make it black or tan rather than white? Obviously, I'd like
>>> something that wouldn't leave my backside the same colour as the
>>> saddle after I get off it.

Just forget it and find/wait for another one in black or brown. It's not
as if Brooks saddles are rare.

>> Ahem. Brooks does not currently sell a white saddle, as far as I
>> know (www.permaco.com). Are you sure these are genuine brooks
>> saddles ??
>> I would be a little suspicious of a white brooks saddle ... (what
>> made
>> it white?)

> Brooks made some rather nasty non-leather saddles in the 1980s,
> including those hard plastic ones with no padding and three little
> round holes (which my friends swore were to allow flatulence to
> escape).

Brooks also make some nasty non-leather saddles NOW (because the company
has been taken over by Selle Royal). Some of these will have leather
_covers_, though.

However, Brooks may have made some white versions of its leather saddles,
for all I know (if white is possible?). There have been lots of limited
edition "specials" with all sorts of colour and design variations.

~PB