Brookes seat-post clip

Patrick Herring

Guest
Being a Brookes convert I got one of the Brookes seat-post thingies. But it never seemed to tighten
up properly and the saddle angle is crucial for comfort with, er, male anatomy. So this morning I
got the wrench out. It was funny how there seemed to be a lot of slack. Then there was a loud ping.
And a significant slacking of resistance. And the bolt is a special one for the job. Or was. Anyone
else had this problem? Anyone know of a better way of fastening a railed saddle to a seat-post?
Lucky I kept the old one with its mounting...

--
Patrick Herring, Sheffield, UK http://www.anweald.co.uk

Patrick Herring wrote:

> Being a Brookes convert

Which saddle model?

> I got one of the Brookes seat-post thingies.

Wosatt? Sandwich that goes between double rails? Clamp that goes ontop of plain seatpost? (I'm
guessing it might be the latter now).....

> But it never seemed to tighten up properly and the saddle angle is crucial for comfort with, er,
> male anatomy.

What make & model and type seatpost?

> So this morning I got the wrench out. It was funny how there seemed to be a lot of slack. Then
> there was a loud ping. And a significant slacking of resistance. And the bolt is a special one for
> the job. Or was.

You don't mean the saddle nose bolt?

> Anyone else had this problem? Anyone know of a better way of fastening a railed saddle to a
> seat-post? Lucky I kept the old one with its mounting...

Sorry I'm not sure you mean but I/we might be able to help if you can more clearly explain
what's going on.

Modern seatposts are much better than the old-style gas pipe jobs with the separate clamps. Most
Brooks saddles will fit them.

No 'e' in Brooks, by the way - in case you're searching for info on the net, etc.

~PB

"Pete Biggs" <pbiggmellon{remove_fruit}[email protected]> wrote:

| Patrick Herring wrote:
|
| > Being a Brookes convert
|
| Which saddle model?

Conquest.

| > I got one of the Brookes seat-post thingies.
|
| Wosatt? Sandwich that goes between double rails? Clamp that goes ontop of plain seatpost? (I'm
| guessing it might be the latter now).....

Clamp or clip. http://www.brookssaddles.com/sadspa-e.pdf lists it as "BYB101, Clip Assembly 7/8' for
Single Wire Saddles", and I see it lists the bolt wot broke as BMP178.
http://www.wallbike.com/clampvssand.html shows it in the second gif, but I'm not needing the
double-rail filler.

| > But it never seemed to tighten up properly and the saddle angle is crucial for comfort with, er,
| > male anatomy.
|
| What make & model and type seatpost?

It's just a tube of alloy with a narrower top inch. "Plain-top seat-post" is I believe the
correct term.

| > So this morning I got the wrench out. It was funny how there seemed to be a lot of slack. Then
| > there was a loud ping. And a significant slacking of resistance. And the bolt is a special one
| > for the job. Or was.
|
| You don't mean the saddle nose bolt?

Nope.

| > Anyone else had this problem? Anyone know of a better way of fastening a railed saddle to a
| > seat-post? Lucky I kept the old one with its mounting...
|
| Sorry I'm not sure you mean but I/we might be able to help if you can more clearly explain what's
| going on.

Ah, sorry, I thought I was being obvious...

| Modern seatposts are much better than the old-style gas pipe jobs with the separate clamps. Most
| Brooks saddles will fit them.

I suppose I'm looking for a thingy that goes on the saddle rails on one side and fits on a tube on
the other (or down the middle). A better one than the Brooks supplied one anyway.

| No 'e' in Brooks, by the way - in case you're searching for info on the net, etc.

Oh yeah - dunno what I was thinking of.

--
Patrick Herring, Sheffield, UK http://www.anweald.co.uk

In news:[email protected], Patrick Herring <[email protected]> typed:
> "Pete Biggs" <pbiggmellon{remove_fruit}[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Patrick Herring wrote:
>>
>>> Being a Brookes convert
>>
>> Which saddle model?
>
> Conquest.
>
>>> I got one of the Brookes seat-post thingies.
>>
>> Wosatt? Sandwich that goes between double rails? Clamp that goes ontop of plain seatpost? (I'm
>> guessing it might be the latter now).....
>
> Clamp or clip. http://www.brookssaddles.com/sadspa-e.pdf lists it as "BYB101, Clip Assembly 7/8'
> for Single Wire Saddles", and I see it lists the bolt wot broke as BMP178.
> http://www.wallbike.com/clampvssand.html shows it in the second gif, but I'm not needing the
> double-rail filler.
>
>>> But it never seemed to tighten up properly and the saddle angle is crucial for comfort with, er,
>>> male anatomy.
>>
>> What make & model and type seatpost?
>
> It's just a tube of alloy with a narrower top inch. "Plain-top seat-post" is I believe the
> correct term.
>
>>> So this morning I got the wrench out. It was funny how there seemed to be a lot of slack. Then
>>> there was a loud ping. And a significant slacking of resistance. And the bolt is a special one
>>> for the job. Or was.
>>
>> You don't mean the saddle nose bolt?
>
> Nope.
>
>>> Anyone else had this problem? Anyone know of a better way of fastening a railed saddle to a
>>> seat-post? Lucky I kept the old one with its mounting...
>>
>> Sorry I'm not sure you mean but I/we might be able to help if you can more clearly explain what's
>> going on.
>
> Ah, sorry, I thought I was being obvious...
>
>> Modern seatposts are much better than the old-style gas pipe jobs with the separate clamps. Most
>> Brooks saddles will fit them.
>
> I suppose I'm looking for a thingy that goes on the saddle rails on one side and fits on a tube on
> the other (or down the middle). A better one than the Brooks supplied one anyway.

I've got a Brooks supplied one that you can have for the postage if you want.

My email username's ambrosen in case it's too well spamtrapped.

Patrick Herring wrote:
> I suppose I'm looking for a thingy that goes on the saddle rails on one side and fits on a tube on
> the other (or down the middle). A better one than the Brooks supplied one anyway.

Any decent bike shop should have what you need (and may give you one free) or I've got non-Brooks
standard one (that I expect will fit) that you're welcome to for cost of p&p (75p). But I think
you'd be happier with a different (modern) seatpost with a built-in clamp. You'd get finer and
easier adjustment with possibly more secure clamping as well, and save some weight as a bonus.

~PB email: p [at] biggs [dot] tc

[email protected] (Patrick Herring) writes:

> "Pete Biggs" <pbiggmellon{remove_fruit}[email protected]> wrote:
>
> | Patrick Herring wrote:
>
> | > But it never seemed to tighten up properly and the saddle angle is crucial for comfort with,
> | > er, male anatomy.
> |
> | What make & model and type seatpost?
>
> It's just a tube of alloy with a narrower top inch. "Plain-top seat-post" is I believe the
> correct term.

Yes, these are now obsolete; they've been replaced by posts with built in clamps because they, err,
didn't work very well, as you have found. The new kind are generally separable into single bolt
clamps, where the bolt is usually vertical and behind the post; these are nearly as bad as the type
you have. The better solution is the two bolt clamp, with one bolt in front of and one bolt behind.
With these, to tile the saddle, you loosen one bolt and tighten the other. This works much better,
and yes, it does work with Brooks saddles (I use Brooks Professionals on all my bikes).

For office use only. Please do not write or type below this line.

Simon Brooke wrote:

>> It's just a tube of alloy with a narrower top inch. "Plain-top seat-post" is I believe the
>> correct term.
>
> Yes, these are now obsolete; they've been replaced by posts with built in clamps because they,
> err, didn't work very well, as you have found. The new kind are generally separable into single
> bolt clamps, where the bolt is usually vertical and behind the post; these are nearly as bad as
> the type you have.

I wouldn't go that far. That's the "micro adjust" type used on most bikes. They're still easier to
use, with finer adjustment.

> The better solution is the two bolt clamp, with one bolt in front of and one bolt behind. With
> these, to tile the saddle, you loosen one bolt and tighten the other. This works much better, and
> yes, it does work with Brooks saddles

I agree these are better. The ITM Big One is a good buy, IMO.

~PB

"Pete Biggs" <pbiggmellon{remove_fruit}[email protected]> wrote:

| Simon Brooke wrote:
|
| >> It's just a tube of alloy with a narrower top inch. "Plain-top seat-post" is I believe the
| >> correct term.
| >
| > Yes, these are now obsolete; they've been replaced by posts with built in clamps because they,
| > err, didn't work very well, as you have found. The new kind are generally separable into single
| > bolt clamps, where the bolt is usually vertical and behind the post; these are nearly as bad as
| > the type you have.
|
| I wouldn't go that far. That's the "micro adjust" type used on most bikes. They're still easier to
| use, with finer adjustment.
|
| > The better solution is the two bolt clamp, with one bolt in front of and one bolt behind. With
| > these, to tile the saddle, you loosen one bolt and tighten the other. This works much better,
| > and yes, it does work with Brooks saddles
|
| I agree these are better. The ITM Big One is a good buy, IMO.

Well, they don't seem very expensive & I'd been thinking I ought to go in that direction. So
thanks for your & Ambrose's offers - I'll do that and keep the alloy post & old saddle as a spare
whole unit.

--
Patrick Herring, Sheffield, UK http://www.anweald.co.uk