Brooklyn newbie with some (probably very dumb) questions

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Vanessa Hawkins, Sep 9, 2004.

  1. Please be patient with me...

    I just bought a bike off a friend last night -- a 5-month-old, barely
    ridden Giant Cypress ST. This is my first bike purchase since junior
    high (I'm 31). My test ride was the first time I've been ON a bike
    since 1994. But it was cheap and I'd been meaning to get a bike
    anyway, so I took the plunge.

    I'll be using it for recreational riding in the park, etc. at first
    while I get the hang of things again. After that, I'd like to use it
    for commuting, longer rides in the city, possibly some weekend rides.

    First question -- I'm not sure I have the right size. I'm a 5'2"
    woman, with fairly long legs proportionally speaking. The bike is a
    17" men's bike. When I sit on the seat at the lowest position, I am
    on the balls of my feet. I assume this is fine, since I should be
    riding with the seat in a higher position anyway.

    Second question -- is there a good link for basic rules of the road
    type stuff for urban riding? I have to admit that riding in traffic
    has always freaked me out a bit but I have to bite the bullet and get
    over it. Needless to say, I want to know enough to avoid doing
    anything stupid that will get me killed.

    Third question -- any good sites for general tips for beginners?

    Thanks for any advice....

    Tags:

  2. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    9 Sep 2004 17:37:33 -0700,
    <[email protected]>, [email protected]
    (Vanessa Hawkins) wrote:

    >First question -- I'm not sure I have the right size. I'm a 5'2"
    >woman, with fairly long legs proportionally speaking. The bike is a
    >17" men's bike. When I sit on the seat at the lowest position, I am
    >on the balls of my feet. I assume this is fine, since I should be
    >riding with the seat in a higher position anyway.

    It should be okay. If you find yourself scooting forward on the saddle
    you might want to try a shorter stem extension or more swept back
    handle bars.

    >Second question -- is there a good link for basic rules of the road
    >type stuff for urban riding?

    The best way is to conduct yourself like a vehicle.

    http://bikesense.bc.ca/manual.htm
    If you just read the highlighted sections you'll have the basics

    http://www.bikexprt.com/streetsmarts/usa/index.htm
    Another good book on basic traffic sense.

    >Third question -- any good sites for general tips for beginners?

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/articles.html
    Most everything you need to know about bicycles.
    --
    zk

  3. Pete

    Pete Guest

    "Vanessa Hawkins" <[email protected]> wrote
    > Please be patient with me...
    >
    > I just bought a bike off a friend last night -- a 5-month-old, barely
    > ridden Giant Cypress ST. This is my first bike purchase since junior
    > high (I'm 31). My test ride was the first time I've been ON a bike
    > since 1994. But it was cheap and I'd been meaning to get a bike
    > anyway, so I took the plunge.
    >
    > I'll be using it for recreational riding in the park, etc. at first
    > while I get the hang of things again. After that, I'd like to use it
    > for commuting, longer rides in the city, possibly some weekend rides.
    >
    > First question -- I'm not sure I have the right size. I'm a 5'2"
    > woman, with fairly long legs proportionally speaking. The bike is a
    > 17" men's bike. When I sit on the seat at the lowest position, I am
    > on the balls of my feet. I assume this is fine, since I should be
    > riding with the seat in a higher position anyway.

    Balls of your feet on the ground or on the pedals?

    > Second question -- is there a good link for basic rules of the road
    > type stuff for urban riding? I have to admit that riding in traffic
    > has always freaked me out a bit but I have to bite the bullet and get
    > over it. Needless to say, I want to know enough to avoid doing
    > anything stupid that will get me killed.

    Pennsylvanias rules have been recommended in here as being quite good and
    understandable.
    http://www.dot.state.pa.us/BIKE/WEB/index.htm

    Check your local laws to be sure

    Basic rule - you *are* entitled to the street. Don't be dumb, but don't be
    pushed around, either
    Start off on quiet streets.

    > Third question -- any good sites for general tips for beginners?

    Maintenance
    www.sheldonbrown.com
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/beginners/index.html

    Riding
    http://www.bicyclinglife.com/

    > Thanks for any advice....

    Rule #1. Have fun

    Pete

  4. Dan Daniel

    Dan Daniel Guest

    On 9 Sep 2004 17:37:33 -0700, [email protected] (Vanessa Hawkins)
    wrote:

    >Please be patient with me...
    >
    >I just bought a bike off a friend last night -- a 5-month-old, barely
    >ridden Giant Cypress ST. This is my first bike purchase since junior
    >high (I'm 31). My test ride was the first time I've been ON a bike
    >since 1994. But it was cheap and I'd been meaning to get a bike
    >anyway, so I took the plunge.
    >
    >I'll be using it for recreational riding in the park, etc. at first
    >while I get the hang of things again. After that, I'd like to use it
    >for commuting, longer rides in the city, possibly some weekend rides.
    >
    >First question -- I'm not sure I have the right size. I'm a 5'2"
    >woman, with fairly long legs proportionally speaking. The bike is a
    >17" men's bike. When I sit on the seat at the lowest position, I am
    >on the balls of my feet. I assume this is fine, since I should be
    >riding with the seat in a higher position anyway.

    More than you want to know, but if you dig around you'll find the
    answer. And in the process, maybe learn about how various changes can
    interact-

    http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm

    >Second question -- is there a good link for basic rules of the road
    >type stuff for urban riding? I have to admit that riding in traffic
    >has always freaked me out a bit but I have to bite the bullet and get
    >over it. Needless to say, I want to know enough to avoid doing
    >anything stupid that will get me killed.
    >
    >Third question -- any good sites for general tips for beginners?
    >
    >Thanks for any advice....

    I'll combine 2 and 3-

    http://www.runmuki.com/commute/commuting7.html

    http://www.myra-simon.com/bike/tips.html

    http://www.transalt.org/

    http://www.kenkifer.com/bikepages/index.htm

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/beginners/index.html

  5. Jym Dyer

    Jym Dyer Guest

    >> I'm not sure I have the right size. I'm a 5'2" woman, with
    >> fairly long legs proportionally speaking. The bike is a 17"
    >> men's bike.

    =v= The 17" frame size seems like something to work with, but in
    general men's bikes accommodate men's longer torsos rather than
    women's longer legs. Perhaps you could get a stem that moves
    the handlebars closer to you ...

    >> Second question -- is there a good link for basic rules of
    >> the road type stuff for urban riding?

    > The best way is to conduct yourself like a vehicle.

    =v= Of course, the way vehicles conduct themselves in Brooklyn
    isn't something you'll find written down anywhere. :^)
    <_Jym_>