Brooks #5 Leather saddle

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Peter, Apr 24, 2004.

  1. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Hello people. While I was spring cleaning my Cannondale Tourer today I
    realize I had never gotten aeound to posting asking how the Brooks B5N
    leather saddle compares(d) to the Brooks #15 leather saddle.

    I am wondering just how old this saddle is and what type of quality it is.
    It must be pretty good or it wouldn't have lasted all these years.

    The saddle is black, at least it is where the dye hasn't worn off yet, with
    B5N on the sides where the Brooks logo is. At the rear it has 6 steel rivets
    holding the leather to a metal form which has two slotted hangers for
    attaching a seat bag to. It has steel rails. The nose is attached with three
    steel rivets, one on each side and one on top. There is also a name plate on
    the back of the saddle BROOKS under which in smaller letters it says Made In
    England.

    Was this saddle intended for a mid-level bike or was it intended for the
    low-end market?

    Oncw more all useful information is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

    Tags:

  2. "Peter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hello people. While I was spring cleaning my Cannondale Tourer today I
    > realize I had never gotten aeound to posting asking how the Brooks B5N
    > leather saddle compares(d) to the Brooks #15 leather saddle.
    >
    > I am wondering just how old this saddle is and what type of quality it is.
    > It must be pretty good or it wouldn't have lasted all these years.
    >
    > The saddle is black, at least it is where the dye hasn't worn off yet,

    with
    > B5N on the sides where the Brooks logo is. At the rear it has 6 steel

    rivets
    > holding the leather to a metal form which has two slotted hangers for
    > attaching a seat bag to. It has steel rails. The nose is attached with

    three
    > steel rivets, one on each side and one on top. There is also a name plate

    on
    > the back of the saddle BROOKS under which in smaller letters it says Made

    In
    > England.
    >
    > Was this saddle intended for a mid-level bike or was it intended for the
    > low-end market?
    >
    > Oncw more all useful information is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    >

    >The only reference that I could find the B5 and the B15 listd together was

    a 1939 Brooks catalog. It appears that the B5 was a less expensive version
    of the B15. The B5 was listed as having a Brooks good quality leather top,
    while the B15 had a Brooks super quality butt hide top. The B15 also sold
    for twice as much; 12/6 vs 6/6