Brooks Handlebar Grips - Anyone using them for strictly good weather?



L

Lou Holtman

Guest
Jay wrote:
> I did not even know Brooks makes grips until Andre suggested them. I like
> the tools in this pic:
>
> http://www.wallbike.com/brooks/brookshandlebargrips.html
>
> I am thinking about using them April - October, and then using my current
> Ergon GP1 grips for the winter.
>
> http://www.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/grip_right.jpg
>
> The Brooks grips should be a good cosmetic match with my Brooks B17 saddle.
>
> I am wondering how well they absorb impact.
>
> Thanks for any info.
>
> Traditionalist J.
>
>
>
>



Why do you think these are something special other than a difficult way
to put together a handlebar grip? I think they had some leftover leather
lying around and thought 'hey we can make a handlebar grip out of that,
mayby someone will buy them'. Even between April-October it will rain,
and if they absorb anything it will be water. If you like the looks go
ahead, otherwise keep your Ergons.

Lou
 
J

Jay

Guest
"Lou Holtman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>
>
> Why do you think these are something special other than a difficult way to
> put together a handlebar grip? I think they had some leftover leather
> lying around and thought 'hey we can make a handlebar grip out of that,
> mayby someone will buy them'. Even between April-October it will rain, and
> if they absorb anything it will be water. If you like the looks go ahead,
> otherwise keep your Ergons.
>
> Lou
>

I had heard they are expensive, but I did not know they are $90:

http://www.wallbike.com/components.html

I like Brooks, but I don't know that I like them *that* much. That is 3x the
price of my Ergon grips, and I thought *they* were expensive. But they have
held up in all weather, are comfortable, and IMO quite stylish. And easy to
remove / adjust.

J.
 
L

Lou Holtman

Guest
Jay wrote:
> "Lou Holtman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>>
>> Why do you think these are something special other than a difficult way to
>> put together a handlebar grip? I think they had some leftover leather
>> lying around and thought 'hey we can make a handlebar grip out of that,
>> mayby someone will buy them'. Even between April-October it will rain, and
>> if they absorb anything it will be water. If you like the looks go ahead,
>> otherwise keep your Ergons.
>>
>> Lou
>>

> I had heard they are expensive, but I did not know they are $90:
>
> http://www.wallbike.com/components.html
>
> I like Brooks, but I don't know that I like them *that* much. That is 3x the
> price of my Ergon grips, and I thought *they* were expensive. But they have
> held up in all weather, are comfortable, and IMO quite stylish. And easy to
> remove / adjust.
>
> J.
>
>
>
>



There you go. They are overpriced fashion items and I think they are
ugly too. Save your money and buy a couple of pairs of nice (summer) gloves.

Lou
 
A

A Muzi

Guest
> "Lou Holtman" <[email protected]> wrote
>> Why do you think these are something special other than a difficult way to
>> put together a handlebar grip? I think they had some leftover leather
>> lying around and thought 'hey we can make a handlebar grip out of that,
>> mayby someone will buy them'. Even between April-October it will rain, and
>> if they absorb anything it will be water. If you like the looks go ahead,
>> otherwise keep your Ergons.


Jay wrote:
> I had heard they are expensive, but I did not know they are $90:
> http://www.wallbike.com/components.html
> I like Brooks, but I don't know that I like them *that* much. That is 3x the
> price of my Ergon grips, and I thought *they* were expensive. But they have
> held up in all weather, are comfortable, and IMO quite stylish. And easy to
> remove / adjust.


But, as Lou Holtman notes, you may help recycle Brooks' scrap for $90!
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971
 
On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 18:32:05 -0000, "Clive George"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Jay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]
>
>> Traditionalist J.

>
>FWIW the brooks grips aren't traditionalist. Some form of rubber would be.
>
>cheers,
>clive


Dear Clive & Jay,

For truly traditional grips, nothing beats the wire-spring handle of
Duryea's 1889 Sylph spring-frame:
http://i28.tinypic.com/huru2p.jpg

"The Sylph's spring handle-grips absorbed vibration while allowing air
to pass through to cool the hands."

--"The Bicycle," Pryor Dodge, p. 106

Larger view of Sylph and grips:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0300104189/ref=sib_dp_pt/102-9357112-1919321#reader-link

A few more traditional handlebar grips . . .

Paddle-grip:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=OE5BAAAAEBAJ&pg=PP1&dq=571025&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=0_1

Spade-grip:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=sI9dAAAAEBAJ&pg=PP1&dq=379955&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=0_1

Golf-club head:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=1KVWAAAAEBAJ&pg=PP1&dq=347054&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=0_1

On-the-tops:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=8ohlAAAAEBAJ&pg=PP1&dq=587626&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=0_1

Round or triangular openings:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=aDBIAAAAEBAJ&pg=PP1&dq=574751&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=0_1

Adjustable:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=8ohlAAAAEBAJ&pg=PP1&dq=587626&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=0_1

Aerobars with convenient flag holder:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=YwQ_AAAAEBAJ&pg=PP1&dq=615793&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=0_1

Inflatable:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=HNVkAAAAEBAJ&pg=PP1&dq=587388&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=0_1

Brandt's patented squeeze-bulb bell-ringer handlebar grip:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=L9tNAAAAEBAJ&pg=PP1&dq=577352&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=0_1\

Coffin--oops, need to narrow the search, but the rope-wound
coffin-handle shows promise for the bicycle industry:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=I0BLAAAAEBAJ&pg=PA2&dq=505663&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=0_1

Spring-wound adjustable-for-tension anti-vibration:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=H-xjAAAAEBAJ&pg=PA49&dq=610471&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=0_1

More spring-wound:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=OIZDAAAAEBAJ&pg=PP1&dq=595966&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=0_1

Spring (or anything else) wound anti-vibration:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=OIZDAAAAEBAJ&pg=PP1&dq=595966&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=0_1

Concealed tire-pump handle:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=H-...71&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=0_1#PPA49,M1

Early MTB extensions:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=c1xLAAAAEBAJ&pg=PP1&dq=599564&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=0_1

Somewhat mysterious, but doubtless beneficial:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=OIZDAAAAEBAJ&pg=PP1&dq=595966&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=0_1

Hand-rest:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=OIZDAAAAEBAJ&pg=PP1&dq=595966&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=0_1

Wouldn't tape be easier?

http://www.google.com/patents?id=OE5BAAAAEBAJ&pg=PP1&dq=571025&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=0_1

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
 
T

Tom Sherman

Guest
Clive George wrote:
> "Jay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>
>> Traditionalist J.

>
> FWIW the brooks grips aren't traditionalist. Some form of rubber would be.
>

The "hobbits" use twine and shellac.

--
Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
The weather is here, wish you were beautiful
 
P

(PeteCresswell)

Guest
Per A Muzi:
>But, as Lou Holtman notes, you may help recycle Brooks' scrap for $90!


Now I don't feel so bad about blowing $95 on a drum brake
dynahub.... -)
--
PeteCresswell
 
T

Tom Sherman

Guest
Zoot Katz wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 13:25:46 -0800 (PST), landotter
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Well, seeing as wooden grips are a PITA to source these days.

>
> They're probably expensive too.
>
> Lance Armstrong just paid $12,000 for a SS steel bike with wooden
> grips and only one brake.
>
> http://handmadebicycleshow.com/2008/index.php?option=com_easygallery&act=photos&cid=115&Itemid=76


And an unattractive bicycle at that.

--
Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
The weather is here, wish you were beautiful
 
Z

Zoot Katz

Guest
On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 17:46:52 -0600, Tom Sherman
<[email protected]> went lookin' for fish:


>> Lance Armstrong just paid $12,000 for a SS steel bike with wooden
>> grips and only one brake.
>>
>> http://handmadebicycleshow.com/2008/index.php?option=com_easygallery&act=photos&cid=115&Itemid=76


>And an unattractive bicycle at that.


Yeah, but what can you expect from a bent rider.

http://www.timetogetnaked.com/gosamgo/A3/rider/Rbio.html

Maybe Georgi should have designed it so it looks like a guppy.
--
zk
 
M

Michael Press

Guest
In article <[email protected]>,
Zoot Katz <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 13:25:46 -0800 (PST), landotter
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Well, seeing as wooden grips are a PITA to source these days.

>
> They're probably expensive too.
>
> Lance Armstrong just paid $12,000 for a SS steel bike with wooden
> grips and only one brake.
>
> http://handmadebicycleshow.com/2008/index.php?option=com_easygallery&act=photos&cid=115&Itemid=76


It's already been crashed.

--
Michael Press
 
Z

Zoot Katz

Guest
On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 23:06:27 -0800, Michael Press
<[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
> Zoot Katz <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 13:25:46 -0800 (PST), landotter
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >Well, seeing as wooden grips are a PITA to source these days.

>>
>> They're probably expensive too.
>>
>> Lance Armstrong just paid $12,000 for a SS steel bike with wooden
>> grips and only one brake.
>>
>> http://handmadebicycleshow.com/2008/index.php?option=com_easygallery&act=photos&cid=115&Itemid=76

>
>It's already been crashed.


I thought I read Lance Armstrong bought it, not George Bush.
--
zk
 
R

Rex Kerr

Guest
Jay wrote:
> The Brooks grips should be a good cosmetic match with my Brooks B17 saddle.
>
> I am wondering how well they absorb impact.



I don't know about those grips, but I'm using the elkhide sew on covers
that are sold on Velo Orange on my touring/commuting bike in all weather
and they're very soft... when it's warm enough I often ride without
gloves just because it feels so good! They've held up well to one
winter's rain using (real) neatsfoot oil to treat them. They match my
well worn B17 really well.

http://www.velo-orange.com/elsebarco.html
 
H

Hank

Guest
On Feb 17, 8:06 am, "Jay" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I did not even know Brooks makes grips until Andre suggested them. I like
> the tools in this pic:
>
> http://www.wallbike.com/brooks/brookshandlebargrips.html
>
> I am thinking about using them April - October, and then using my current
> Ergon GP1 grips for the winter.
>
> http://www.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/grip_right.jpg
>
> The Brooks grips should be a good cosmetic match with my Brooks B17 saddle..
>
> I am wondering how well they absorb impact.
>
> Thanks for any info.
>
> Traditionalist J.


I've got these on my cruiser:
http://jensonusa.com/store/product/GR408A08-Dimension+100+Cork+Mountain+Grips.aspx

Very comfy in both hot and cold weather, undamaged by rain, and the
dirtier you get them, the better they look. You do need to glue them
on, though. I used Elmer's Stix-All. They absolutely look appropriate
next to a Brooks. I've got a Champion Flyer on that bike.