Brooks panniers - are they _that_ good?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by David Pipes, Feb 11, 2003.

  1. David Pipes

    David Pipes Guest

    A pair of second hand Brooks panniers just sold on e-bay for £41.00 + £4.50 postage. BikeWizard has
    new ones for sale at £39.95, postage free. Am I missing something here?
    --
    DP

    Tags:

  2. Chris French

    Chris French Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, David Pipes
    <[email protected]> writes
    >A pair of second hand Brooks panniers just sold on e-bay for £41.00 + £4.50 postage. BikeWizard has
    >new ones for sale at £39.95, postage free. Am I missing something here?

    That there a surprising number of people who buy things on ebay without it seems ever using the web
    to find out how much the cost.

    Not just cycling stuff, all sorts of things.

    I guess they just assume that it must be cheaper.
    --
    Chris French, Leeds

  3. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    David Pipes wrote:
    > A pair of second hand Brooks panniers just sold on e-bay for =A341.00 +=
    =20
    > =A34.50 postage. BikeWizard has new ones for sale at =A339.95, postage free. Am I missing
    > something here?

    Some people are Crap when it comes to eBay. The Brooks panniers reviews =

    I've seen (not seen them for Real) have said they're okay, but hardly in =

    the Altura/Ortlieb/Carradice etc. league.

    Pete. --=20 Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics,
    Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  4. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    David Pipes wrote:
    > A pair of second hand Brooks panniers just sold on e-bay for £41.00 + £4.50 postage. BikeWizard
    > has new ones for sale at £39.95, postage free. Am I missing something here?

    Yes, about £1.05 and £4.50 postage :)

    --
    Guy
    ===

  5. Call Me Bob

    Call Me Bob Guest

    On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 22:22:48 +0000, David Pipes <[email protected]> wrote:

    >A pair of second hand Brooks panniers just sold on e-bay for £41.00 + £4.50 postage. BikeWizard has
    >new ones for sale at £39.95, postage free. Am I missing something here?

    I can beat that (I'm actually rather ashamed of this). A while ago I listed a cheapo Littlewoods
    cycling computer, wireless thing that they sell retail for 15 quid. I started it at a fiver, the
    bidding went to £41 and change. I thought someone was playing silly buggers but sure enough the
    cheque arrived in the post a few days later. I felt ever so guilty cashing it, taking a fellow
    cyclists money in that way but... *shrug*

    To make me feel even worse the thing had only cost me something like £2.50. Bought it online from
    Littlewodds when they were doing a "15 pounds off your first internet order!" promotion. They had
    forgotten to specify a minimum spend and so it only cost me the postage.

    Bob