Brooks saddle choice

I commute to work on a Dawes Giro 300 (03 model), with the bars set 2
inches below the saddle.

I need a new saddle. Brooks saddles are widely considered very
comfortable. There are a wide range of models, which would be the best
choice for me. TIA

On May 2, 5:19 am, [email protected] wrote:
> I commute to work on a Dawes Giro 300 (03 model), with the bars set 2
> inches below the saddle.
>
> I need a new saddle. Brooks saddles are widely considered very
> comfortable. There are a wide range of models, which would be the best
> choice for me. TIA

Really no answer to this as everybody's bum is a little different and
bike fit has a big effect on saddle comfort. Go to a shop that has a
good selection that also has a test or trade policy. Probably a B-17
or perhaps a Swift but hard to say. I tried Brooks twice(a Swift and a
Swallow) and I couldn't get used to them. I use SSM Rolls now, have
for years, still made by Selle San marco.

[email protected] wrote:
> I commute to work on a Dawes Giro 300 (03 model), with the bars set 2
> inches below the saddle.
>
> I need a new saddle. Brooks saddles are widely considered very
> comfortable. There are a wide range of models, which would be the best
> choice for me. TIA

It is hard to advise on a saddles, but my choice in that situation would
be the Brooks Team Professional or possibly the B17 narrow.

I use the above saddles with bar tops 2" to 4" below the saddle and they
work for me. YBMV

Marcus

On May 2, 7:29 am, "Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 2, 5:19 am, [email protected] wrote:
>
> > I commute to work on a Dawes Giro 300 (03 model), with the bars set 2
> > inches below the saddle.

> > I need a new saddle. Brooks saddles are widely considered very
> > comfortable. There are a wide range of models, which would be the best
> > choice for me. TIA

> Really no answer to this as everybody's bum is a little different and
> bike fit has a big effect on saddle comfort. Go to a shop that has a
> good selection that also has a test or trade policy. Probably a B-17
> or perhaps a Swift but hard to say. I tried Brooks twice(a Swift and a
> Swallow) and I couldn't get used to them. I use SSM Rolls now, have
> for years, still made by Selle San marco.

The Rolls would be a great choice for a sporty commuter. Classic, flat
and firm. B-17 if you insist on Brooks. Both run around 30GBP in the
UK.

[email protected] wrote:
> I commute to work on a Dawes Giro 300 (03 model), with the bars set 2
> inches below the saddle.
>
> I need a new saddle. Brooks saddles are widely considered very
> comfortable. There are a wide range of models, which would be the best
> choice for me. TIA

The best advice is 'get your butt to a bikeshop with several models of
Brooks saddles and try them'. They are too expensive to just mail order
based on advice from someone with a different shape of behind.

Lou

<[email protected]> wrote in message
> I commute to work on a Dawes Giro 300 (03 model), with the bars set 2
> inches below the saddle.
>
> I need a new saddle. Brooks saddles are widely considered very
> comfortable. There are a wide range of models, which would be the best
> choice for me. TIA

I've been riding Brooks Pros on my road bikes for over 30 years. I used to
ride Avocet saddles on my MTBs because the gel gave me some extra comfort
off road.

Everyone's sitting area is different. You need to determine your personal
requirements. A properly fitting, properly adjusted saddle should provide
support for the "sit bones" on both sides of the rear of your pelvis.
These points are generally wider apart in women than in men.

You should feel no pressure in the middle or front of your crotch region.
If you have problems with a "sleepy winky" the saddle is not properly
adjusted or it's not correct for your anatomy.

Also you should not feel too much of your body weight distributed to your
hands.

Here's a breakdown of the various Brooks models by width across the rear
of the saddle:

B17 Standard - Wide flat rear saddle area - suitable for riding upright
bars. Popular with many commuters.

Professional - Narrower in the rear and mid section for more performance
oriented riding.

Swift - Slightly narrower than a Pro but with cut away sides in the mid
section for weight savings and less possibility of chafing.

Swallow - Even narrower than the Swift with cut away sides and titanium
rails.

B17 Narrow - Reintroduced??? version of very narrow leather saddles that
were popular on track bikes before the introduction of plastic saddles.

They also make various models with coil springs in the rear that were
designed for upright riding positions on very rough roads.

Brooks makes a lot of "vanity" versions with different "colour" leather,
large copper rivets, chrome or copper plated rails plus some with titanium
rails.

The conventional wisdom is that it takes about 300 miles to break in a
Brooks saddle. I have some Brooks Pros that are still as hard as the day
that I bought them - my butt broke in to them instead.

Saddles with thick padding or gel may feel comfortable for short distances
but can start causing numbness after riding some distance because they let
you sink into them too much.

About a year and a half ago I discovered WTB saddles. They offer a wide
selection of anatomically designed saddles for different uses. I prefer
the Pure-V models because they provide a wide flat area in the rear like a
brooks Pro. They also have a gel padded area in the midsection and nose to
ease any pressure on the "personal" areas.

A lot of other brands are now offering similar models. You may be able to
find a LBS with test or sample saddles that you can try out.

Good luck,

Chas.

"Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com" <[email protected]> wrote in
message
news:[email protected]...
On May 2, 5:19 am, [email protected] wrote:
> I commute to work on a Dawes Giro 300 (03 model), with the bars set 2
> inches below the saddle.
>
> I need a new saddle. Brooks saddles are widely considered very
> comfortable. There are a wide range of models, which would be the best
> choice for me. TIA

"Really no answer to this as everybody's bum is a little different and
bike fit has a big effect on saddle comfort. Go to a shop that has a
good selection that also has a test or trade policy. Probably a B-17
or perhaps a Swift but hard to say. I tried Brooks twice(a Swift and a
Swallow) and I couldn't get used to them. I use SSM Rolls now, have
for years, still made by Selle San marco."

Peter,

I've only ridden a few miles on a Brooks Swift. I bought an old bike last
year with an almost new Swallow on it. Neither of those saddles are very
comfortable for me. I ride Brooks Pros on most of my road bikes. Some of
the Pros are more comfortable than others.

I've also been riding WTB Pure-V saddles on both road and MTBs and found
them very satisfactory. The gel in the mid section helps prevent "sleepy
winky" syndrome.

Chas.

On May 2, 11:45 am, "* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:
>The gel in the mid section helps prevent "sleepy
> winky" syndrome.

Surely you mean the less vulgar "CPS"? ;-) (cold penis syndrome)

I'll again post that for those needing support for wide bones, that
otherwise like those wtb saddles, the Velo Tempo S2 is a great
solution for not much money.

B-17 standard is the way to go. I wont ride anything else

On May 2, 9:48 am, Lou Holtman <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > I commute to work on a Dawes Giro 300 (03 model), with the bars set 2
> > inches below the saddle.

> > I need a new saddle. Brooks saddles are widely considered very
> > comfortable. There are a wide range of models, which would be the best
> > choice for me. TIA

> The best advice is 'get your butt to a bikeshop with several models of
> Brooks saddles and try them'. They are too expensive to just mail order
> based on advice from someone with a different shape of behind.
>
> Lou

In my experience the bottom-of-the-line standard-width B17 is a better
saddle than the more expensive versions. I have three standard B17's
and had one B17 professional. The standard saddles all broke in much
faster, probably under 50 miles.
The professional model never broke in after about 500 miles and
several months, with resultant saddle sores. I sold it on Craigslist
for $10 less than I paid. It was a reasonably-priced lesson.
I see no reason to spring for those Swallows and Swifts. Some users
trim the B17 leather down to resemble those racy models, but that's
risky.
Used Brooks saddles on Ebay are also risky. I bought several and most
of them were dried out and hard as rocks, which never got better. I
sold them at a local fleamarket.

rick b.

In article
<[email protected]>,
[email protected] wrote:

> On May 2, 9:48 am, Lou Holtman <[email protected]> wrote:
> > [email protected] wrote:
> > > I commute to work on a Dawes Giro 300 (03 model), with the bars
> > > set 2 inches below the saddle.

> > > I need a new saddle. Brooks saddles are widely considered very
> > > comfortable. There are a wide range of models, which would be the
> > > best choice for me. TIA

> > The best advice is 'get your butt to a bikeshop with several models
> > of Brooks saddles and try them'. They are too expensive to just
> > mail order based on advice from someone with a different shape of
> > behind.
> >

> B-17 standard is the way to go. I wont ride anything else

Which works for you but not for me. I find the Brooks Professional is a
more comfortable saddle- however, I recently acquired a Ti Brooks Pro
which did not suit me. Close examination and comparison to my other
Brooks Pros (one of which I have been using more than 30 years) showed
me that Brooks changed the shape in the past few years. It's slight but
it's enough to make the saddle a torture device.

The new-shape B.17 might now be a better choice for me, but I haven't
tried one yet.

Anyway Lou's advice is spot-on- Brooks saddles have to be tried to see
which suits one best.

"landotter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> On May 2, 11:45 am, "* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >The gel in the mid section helps prevent "sleepy
> > winky" syndrome.

> Surely you mean the less vulgar "CPS"? ;-) (cold penis syndrome)
>
> I'll again post that for those needing support for wide bones, that
> otherwise like those wtb saddles, the Velo Tempo S2 is a great
> solution for not much money.

It's always cold in Sverge - except when the mosquitoes are out. ;-)

Chas.

"Tim McNamara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article
> <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] wrote:

> > > The best advice is 'get your butt to a bikeshop with several models
> > > of Brooks saddles and try them'. They are too expensive to just
> > > mail order based on advice from someone with a different shape of
> > > behind.
> > >

> > B-17 standard is the way to go. I wont ride anything else

> Which works for you but not for me. I find the Brooks Professional is a
> more comfortable saddle- however, I recently acquired a Ti Brooks Pro
> which did not suit me. Close examination and comparison to my other
> Brooks Pros (one of which I have been using more than 30 years) showed
> me that Brooks changed the shape in the past few years. It's slight but
> it's enough to make the saddle a torture device.
>
> The new-shape B.17 might now be a better choice for me, but I haven't
> tried one yet.
>
> Anyway Lou's advice is spot-on- Brooks saddles have to be tried to see
> which suits one best.

I have 3 or 4 Brooks Pros made during the past few years and they haven't
broken in after hundreds of miles of riding on each of them. My older Pros
are still super comfortable after many 1000s of miles of riding. I use a
dial protractor to adjust the seat angle and -11° measured at the very
rear of the saddle has been the best for me but on several of the newer
Pros I've had to go to -14° to avoid pressure in the mid section of the
saddle.

B17s are too wide in the rear for me whereas the Pros are just right width
wise. Most people I've seen riding B17s seem to like them level.

Chas.

"rick b" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> In my experience the bottom-of-the-line standard-width B17 is a better
> saddle than the more expensive versions. I have three standard B17's
> and had one B17 professional. The standard saddles all broke in much
> faster, probably under 50 miles.
> The professional model never broke in after about 500 miles and
> several months, with resultant saddle sores. I sold it on Craigslist
> for $10 less than I paid. It was a reasonably-priced lesson.
> I see no reason to spring for those Swallows and Swifts. Some users
> trim the B17 leather down to resemble those racy models, but that's
> risky.
> Used Brooks saddles on Ebay are also risky. I bought several and most
> of them were dried out and hard as rocks, which never got better. I
> sold them at a local fleamarket.
>
> rick b.

Something that I noticed years ago about the B17s is the leather is
generally thinner than on the Pros. The newer fancy B17s seem to have the
same thicker leather as the Pros.

Chas.

* * Chas wrote:

> B17 Narrow - Reintroduced??? version of very narrow leather saddles that
> were popular on track bikes before the introduction of plastic saddles.

The B17 Narrow (B17N) has been around forever, I think there is also
re-released variation with laces sides.
IIRC it formed the basis of the original Swallow and is pretty much the
same size.

I think you are thinking of the B17 Sprinter which was a popular track
saddle many, many seasons ago and has been re-released for a limited
run, it is only 133mm wide.

Marcus

"Marcus Coles" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> * * Chas wrote:
> >
> > B17 Narrow - Reintroduced??? version of very narrow leather saddles

that
> > were popular on track bikes before the introduction of plastic

saddles.

> The B17 Narrow (B17N) has been around forever, I think there is also
> re-released variation with laces sides.
> IIRC it formed the basis of the original Swallow and is pretty much the
> same size.
>
> I think you are thinking of the B17 Sprinter which was a popular track
> saddle many, many seasons ago and has been re-released for a limited
> run, it is only 133mm wide.
>

> Marcus

You're probably correct but they all look painful to me....

Chas.

On 2008-05-02, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:

> I commute to work on a Dawes Giro 300 (03 model), with the bars set 2
> inches below the saddle.
>
> I need a new saddle. Brooks saddles are widely considered very
> comfortable. There are a wide range of models, which would be the best
> choice for me. TIA

Brooks saddles are very comfortable and properly cared for will last a
lifetime. Do you keep your bike indoors when at work, or at least under
a roof? Rain and sun will shorten the life of a leather saddle. If you
have to keep the bike outdoors in the weather or ride in rain a lot, you
may find a leather covered plastic shell saddle will last longer.

--

John ([email protected])

* * Chas wrote:
> "landotter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> On May 2, 11:45 am, "* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> The gel in the mid section helps prevent "sleepy
>>> winky" syndrome.

>> Surely you mean the less vulgar "CPS"? ;-) (cold penis syndrome)
>>
>> I'll again post that for those needing support for wide bones, that
>> otherwise like those wtb saddles, the Velo Tempo S2 is a great
>> solution for not much money.
>>

> It's always cold in Sverge - except when the mosquitoes are out. ;-)

"landotter" self-reportedly lives in Nashville, Tennessee.

B-17N's are a** hatchets. The standard is what every other saddle
maker wishes they couldmake!!!

On May 2, 8:20 pm, Marcus Coles <[email protected]> wrote:
> * * Chas wrote:
>
> > B17 Narrow - Reintroduced??? version of very narrow leather saddles that
> > were popular on track bikes before the introduction of plastic saddles.

> The B17 Narrow (B17N) has been around forever, I think there is also
> re-released variation with laces sides.
> IIRC it formed the basis of the original Swallow and is pretty much the
> same size.
>
> I think you are thinking of the B17 Sprinter which was a popular track
> saddle many, many seasons ago and has been re-released for a limited
> run, it is only 133mm wide.
>
> Marcus

On May 3, 12:51 am, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
wrote:
> * * Chas wrote:
> > "landotter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> Surely you mean the less vulgar "CPS"? ;-) (cold penis syndrome)

> >> I'll again post that for those needing support for wide bones, that
> >> otherwise like those wtb saddles, the Velo Tempo S2 is a great
> >> solution for not much money.

> > It's always cold in Sverge - except when the mosquitoes are out. ;-)

> "landotter" self-reportedly lives in Nashville, Tennessee.

Actually, I try to not mention my city by name as a matter of habit on
Usenet. Perhaps you had the location on the tip of your tongue because
you like to stalk people with your flippy flag.