Brooks saddle got wet and stretched...

canonjoj

Oct 9, 2004
I recently bought a Brooks B17 Narrow from the UK (live in Germany) and was very happy with it - breaking in nicely. After about 2 weeks riding I forgot to put a cover over it and it got drenched in a storm. I let it dry for 24 hrs and it seemed ok, then rode it to work and back (10km). By the time I got home the two sit-points had stretched and I was sitting against the rear frame :mad: Let's just say it became very uncomfortable!
Is there any way to get it back into shape? I was thinking of getting it wet again, at least in the areas where it stretched most and then using a hair dryer on gentle/warm flow to get it to shrink a bit? Probably not a good idea?
Any help very much appreciated.
Jonathan

canonjoj said:
I recently bought a Brooks B17 Narrow from the UK (live in Germany) and was very happy with it - breaking in nicely. After about 2 weeks riding I forgot to put a cover over it and it got drenched in a storm. I let it dry for 24 hrs and it seemed ok, then rode it to work and back (10km). By the time I got home the two sit-points had stretched and I was sitting against the rear frame :mad: Let's just say it became very uncomfortable!
Is there any way to get it back into shape? I was thinking of getting it wet again, at least in the areas where it stretched most and then using a hair dryer on gentle/warm flow to get it to shrink a bit? Probably not a good idea?
Any help very much appreciated.
Jonathan

Contact Wallingford Bicycle Parts. www.wallbike.com or 1-888-731-3537

They are experts on Brooks saddles. They are in the US (Louisiana) but may be able to help you by email.

This happened to me not long after I got mine. I merely tightened it up somewhat and kept it religously covered thereafter. That was 18000k's ago and it seems OK so far. A slight tighten every 3 or 4 months if needed. I use shoe polish on it monthly