Brought back XR-100, ordered Diamondback Coil 04,need info.

thomasward00

New Member
Jan 8, 2004
My wife bought me an Mongoose XR-100 for christmas from wal mart, it made noises in the chain, so anyway after reading all of the bad press that this bike gets, I returned it, and I have ordered a diamondback Coil 04. Have I made a good choice, this is my first bike since I was 13 years old, I ride with my wife in the neighborhood or on light trails, and I also take care of my bikes very well. Is this a durable bike? any info would be helpful, I have read as many reviews as I could before I ordered, it was between the Giant Boulder SE and this bike, and I just felt like I wanted full suspension, plus that is what my wife has. Thanks look forward to posting in the future.

"thomasward00" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My wife bought me an Mongoose XR-100 for christmas from wal mart, it made noises in the chain, so
> anyway after reading all of the bad press that this bike gets, I returned it, and I have ordered a
> diamondback Coil 04. Have I made a good choice, this is my first bike since I was 13 years old, I
> ride with my wife in the neighborhood or on light trails, and I also take care of my bikes very
> well. Is this a durable bike? any info would be helpful, I have read as many reviews as I could
> before I ordered, it was between the Giant Boulder SE and this bike, and I just felt like I wanted
> full suspension, plus that is what my wife has. Thanks look forward to posting in the future.

One thing to look at is how good the shocks are. I'm not familiar with that particular bike, but I
got a bad feeling the rear shock is just a spring basically and only for show. That type of
"suspension" is like a pogo stick. You would be hard pressed to find a decent rear shock for the
price of that entire bike.

For what it's worth, I haven't really seen a full suspension bike under $1000 that was worth it.
IMHO, for around the price of that bike I would have gotten a '03 Trek 4300 hardtail instead, or
another similar bike.

If you just ride light trails, get a good hardtail bike ... if you want full suspension later,
you're going to have to pay to get something good.

C.Q.C.