Brought back XR-100, ordered Diamondback Coil 04,need info.

thomasward00

Jan 8, 2004
My wife bought me an Mongoose XR-100 for christmas from wal mart, it made noises in the chain, so anyway after reading all of the bad press that this bike gets, I returned it, and I have ordered a diamondback Coil 04. Have I made a good choice, this is my first bike since I was 13 years old, I ride with my wife in the neighborhood or on light trails, and I also take care of my bikes very well. Is this a durable bike? any info would be helpful, I have read as many reviews as I could before I ordered, it was between the Giant Boulder SE and this bike, and I just felt like I wanted full suspension, plus that is what my wife has. Thanks look forward to posting in the future.

While the Coil will be a marked improvement over the Mongoose (if for no other reason than proper assembly), it's not a bike that I'd consider ideally suited to the riding you describe. We've got a Coil and a Coil X in our shop and they're really not that bad for what they are. They're certainly not what I'd consider a mountain bike; I'd consider it more of a heavy comfort bike that exhibits pedal bob. I'd suggest looking at a hybrid or comfort bike-either will have a suspension seatpost that will smooth out the ride, but with out the weight and hassle of a true rear suspension. I think either would be much better suited to your riding.

Originally posted by thomasward00
My wife bought me an Mongoose XR-100 for christmas from wal mart, it made noises in the chain, so anyway after reading all of the bad press that this bike gets, I returned it, and I have ordered a diamondback Coil 04. Have I made a good choice, this is my first bike since I was 13 years old, I ride with my wife in the neighborhood or on light trails, and I also take care of my bikes very well. Is this a durable bike? any info would be helpful, I have read as many reviews as I could before I ordered, it was between the Giant Boulder SE and this bike, and I just felt like I wanted full suspension, plus that is what my wife has. Thanks look forward to posting in the future.

Bump.