Brrr! Cold Morning Ride!

BobCochran

May 3, 2015
This morning I cycled to work in perhaps 55 degree F temperatures. Even with a long sleeve base layer and arm warmers I felt pretty cold on the ride. Somewhere in this house I have pull on leg warmers, if I can't find them I'll order some from Bike Nashbar.

Bob

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
This makes me realize that I haven't made a ride in Baguio City - that cool place atop the mountains that is 6 hours away from our place. That is the so called Biker's Mecca that would test your mettle in climbing. When we were there last January, it was freezing cold but biking did not enter my mind because the kids were excited with horseback riding. Maybe on our next trip there, I can rent a bike and experience how it feels to pump the pedals when it is cold.

Reactions: BobCochran
In my case, I shiver, my nose runs wet stuff all over my chin, and if my head gets really cold I get a headache. The headache does go away once I warm up. I will wear a jacket tomorrow. I definitely need head and leg warmers.

Bob

I don't like biking longer distances in weather like this, because I always dress for the cold and then halfway through I end up overheated. I usually just wear layers and adjust as I go but I still find it kind of annoying. My favourite weather to cycle in is on the colder side, but but mild enough that I can set out in a t shirt or something light.

I feel for ya Bob! I have done night rides up into the mountains. Temps dip into the 30's. I'm actually fine with an under layer, jersey and wind breaker with tights over my shorts. But I do get that cold air in the ears brain freeze. SO I place a small piece of tissue paper in my ears to keep the cold air out. But not enough to hinder my hearing. Works great for me. ;)

112410C_zpse101ceac.jpg

It's' been cold wet, windy and pretty miserable around these parts the last couple of days.

I've skipped going out for a ride the past couple of days because of it, well, mainly because of the wind but still it's not the most appealing weather to be out in.

Yeah, that temperature thing is definitely starting to suck. Again.

You did good, Bob, covering up up top before covering the legs. Velominati Rules!

http://www.velominati.com/etiquette/cover-high-before-you-cover-low/

Remember also the old Italian training manual: Iffa da thing onna da wall sayz less than 70°, you gotta cover da knees! (this can be modified depending on sun, cloud cover, humidity, wind, ride length and state of leg hair)

Thanks guys! Last night I ordered a base layer pull on and a pair of leg warmers from Nashbar. Also a fleece from L. L. Bean. I have an old and much-loved fleece from them. This morning I put on a thin base layer (from REI) plus my short sleeve jersey over that. Then I pulled the fleece on me. Then I put my cycling jacket on with armpit zippers closed. Then I put a little cloth head warmer cap on me -- a really thin one covering just the upper third of my head, and sold at REI.

A few miles later, I arrived at work badly overheated and sweating buckets and my nose running in great liquid gobs of fluid. Lesson learned. The fleece and the jacket were overkill. A gilet and arm warmers replacing these would probably have been better. The head warmer too, maybe.

CampyBob's link is really interesting for me. I get the sense that there is a dressing system for cold weather. This appeals. I have requested spouse permission to order additional garments, and will do so soon.

I am a beginner at all this, so advice and suggestions are eagerly studied.

Bob

Nasbar is a great place to shop for low priced cycling clothing. Some of it is good. Some of it is great. And some of it is pure garbage. Read the reviews carefully and know your size. You'll come away with decent gear bought at a good price.

I've been wearing Nashbar stuff for four decades.

Two pairs of Nashbar 'Mansfield' tights (no chamois models) over a pair of cycling shorts will keep my legs warm down to 15°. I have an old Nashbar jacket that is pretty much too warm for anything above 20°-25°.

Last week I got two pair of L.G. shorts from Nashbar. I like their chamois and the fit is perfect. If they only last a couple of months, each, I more than got my money's worth.

Thanks and I will remember the good word for Nashbar and the temperature ratings.

Thanks

Bob

In my country winters are quite cold so I decided to use hand warmers. they work with a couple of batteries and are actually really efficient and worth the money.

I am impatiently waiting for the letter carrier and the Amazon delivery person to both visit. They will both be delivering various cold weather clothing items for me.

Bob

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
BobC...

In the cold you need to eat and drink alot... Alot ;) ...

Don't get wet! :D

Hi Volnix!

Thanks very much, I will. I'm learning to carry water plus snacks. Always money, too, so I can stop and buy food if I need to.

I now have a gilet plus knee warmers, but the letter carrier did not have my package from Nashbar. Maybe tomorrow!

Bob

BobCochran said:
Hi Volnix!

Thanks very much, I will. I'm learning to carry water plus snacks. Always money, too, so I can stop and buy food if I need to.

I now have a gilet plus knee warmers, but the letter carrier did not have my package from Nashbar. Maybe tomorrow!

Bob

Alot... ;)

Have you checked woolen thermal layers? Synthetics tend to stink after just one ride...

Cotton don't work! :D

Alot...! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt_65k-gv1U

Well, it's starting to get cold where I live, and I do plan on riding more this upcoming winter season. I try to avoid riding around in the evenings for safety reasons. But I'll definitely be hitting the road in the mornings, I'll try ride at least 3 times a week.

That's one of the reasons why I sometimes hate biking. It may be 50 warm to walk around but it feels like 30 when you are going like 12 miles an hour lol! Always use those warmers while going in at least 50 degrees or less.

Well 55 actually sounds pretty warm compared to what we are dealing with here, but I am with you in having the cold morning rides to wake up to. I have actually liked riding in the cold, and something about it seems to wake me up a little better and it makes for a more productive day, which is always a good thing. Glad to see that there are others out there with me for the adventure.