BRRR Soup Tonight!

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by ntantiques, Feb 17, 2006.

  1. ntantiques

    ntantiques Guest

    Heating up a batch of clam chowder I whipped up this am and trying
    desperately to get the feeling back in my poor numb little fingers.
    Arctic Express arrived in Eugene last night - expecting even colder
    temps tonight, accompanied by wind gusts that should bring it down to
    around 10-15 degrees. Record low temps. Have been out in the garden
    clothes-pinning extra nursery cloth around the tenderest plants and
    battening down extra-warm quarters for our 2 confirmed outdoor cats.
    Chowder's going to be a real treat! If I had to ride out a Minnesota
    winter, I'd be living on soup. Warms those frozen cockles right up.
    Nancy T
    (who, as a child walked to school through Ohio blizzards, but after 25
    years in CA, has become a pathetic weather wimp)

    Tags:

  2. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    ntantiques wrote:
    > Heating up a batch of clam chowder I whipped up this am and trying
    > desperately to get the feeling back in my poor numb little fingers.
    > Arctic Express arrived in Eugene last night - expecting even colder
    > temps tonight, accompanied by wind gusts that should bring it down to
    > around 10-15 degrees. Record low temps. Have been out in the garden
    > clothes-pinning extra nursery cloth around the tenderest plants and
    > battening down extra-warm quarters for our 2 confirmed outdoor cats.
    > Chowder's going to be a real treat! If I had to ride out a Minnesota
    > winter, I'd be living on soup. Warms those frozen cockles right up.
    > Nancy T
    > (who, as a child walked to school through Ohio blizzards, but after 25
    > years in CA, has become a pathetic weather wimp)

    It's -12°F here and still dropping. We had record high temperatures the
    whole month of January. Not anymore!

    I hate cold weather.

    Gonna make chili tomorrow. And maybe some peppery fish chowder.

    Bob

  3. ntantiques wrote on 17 Feb 2006 in rec.food.cooking

    > Heating up a batch of clam chowder I whipped up this am and trying
    > desperately to get the feeling back in my poor numb little fingers.
    > Arctic Express arrived in Eugene last night - expecting even colder
    > temps tonight, accompanied by wind gusts that should bring it down to
    > around 10-15 degrees. Record low temps. Have been out in the garden
    > clothes-pinning extra nursery cloth around the tenderest plants and
    > battening down extra-warm quarters for our 2 confirmed outdoor cats.
    > Chowder's going to be a real treat! If I had to ride out a Minnesota
    > winter, I'd be living on soup. Warms those frozen cockles right up.
    > Nancy T
    > (who, as a child walked to school through Ohio blizzards, but after 25
    > years in CA, has become a pathetic weather wimp)

    With windchill it was -52C here today...My garden is under 3 feet of
    snow...Jill's butternut squash soup was for lunch.

    --
    The eyes are the mirrors....
    But the ears...Ah the ears.

  4. modom

    modom Guest

    On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 21:05:40 -0600, zxcvbob <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >ntantiques wrote:
    >> Heating up a batch of clam chowder I whipped up this am and trying
    >> desperately to get the feeling back in my poor numb little fingers.
    >> Arctic Express arrived in Eugene last night - expecting even colder
    >> temps tonight, accompanied by wind gusts that should bring it down to
    >> around 10-15 degrees. Record low temps. Have been out in the garden
    >> clothes-pinning extra nursery cloth around the tenderest plants and
    >> battening down extra-warm quarters for our 2 confirmed outdoor cats.
    >> Chowder's going to be a real treat! If I had to ride out a Minnesota
    >> winter, I'd be living on soup. Warms those frozen cockles right up.
    >> Nancy T
    >> (who, as a child walked to school through Ohio blizzards, but after 25
    >> years in CA, has become a pathetic weather wimp)
    >>

    >It's -12°F here and still dropping. We had record high temperatures the
    >whole month of January. Not anymore!
    >
    >I hate cold weather.
    >
    >Gonna make chili tomorrow. And maybe some peppery fish chowder.

    There was a 40-degree F difference between today's high and
    yesterday's high. Things have turned cold out there. I have a tamale
    steamer pot of water on the big burner of the stove coming to a boil.
    At least I hope it comes to a boil. The house is down right chilly,
    and the satellite dish is down for the evening on top of it all.

    Maybe some bourbon would help...
    --
    modom

    "My baby's got no clothes
    'Cause she's makin' chicken soup."

    -- Chuck E. Weiss

  5. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "ntantiques" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Heating up a batch of clam chowder I whipped up this am and trying
    > desperately to get the feeling back in my poor numb little fingers.
    > Arctic Express arrived in Eugene last night - expecting even colder
    > temps tonight, accompanied by wind gusts that should bring it down to
    > around 10-15 degrees. Record low temps. Have been out in the garden
    > clothes-pinning extra nursery cloth around the tenderest plants and
    > battening down extra-warm quarters for our 2 confirmed outdoor cats.
    > Chowder's going to be a real treat! If I had to ride out a Minnesota
    > winter, I'd be living on soup. Warms those frozen cockles right up.
    > Nancy T
    > (who, as a child walked to school through Ohio blizzards, but after 25
    > years in CA, has become a pathetic weather wimp)

    After 30 years mostly in CA and Hawaii, who as an older adult remembers as
    if it were yesterday, coming into a one-room school room -- no heat except a
    little iron pot of a wood stove which the teacher (always female) stoked and
    had ready a bucket of water for the kids who had near-frost-bitten fingers.
    (24 of us at most, in 6 grades.)
    Right now Eugene doesn't sound too good either, and here I am back in
    Virginia with cold temps coming in.
    Still I wouldn't trade it for California or Hawaii -- I'm here for the
    duration.
    Stay warm. (I had soup for dinner tonight, too.)
    Dee Dee

  6. sf

    sf Guest

    On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 21:05:40 -0600, zxcvbob wrote:

    > ntantiques wrote:
    > > Nancy T
    > > (who, as a child walked to school through Ohio blizzards, but after 25
    > > years in CA, has become a pathetic weather wimp)

    > It's -12°F here and still dropping. We had record high temperatures the
    > whole month of January. Not anymore!
    >
    > I hate cold weather.

    I'm a weather wimp too.... it's 45° tonight, so we ordered WonTon
    soup. :)

  7. sf

    sf Guest

    On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 21:15:47 -0600, modom wrote:

    > the satellite dish is down for the evenin

    Oh, so THAT'S why you were whining about nobody being in the rfc
    channel at such an early hour! LOL

  8. "ntantiques" <[email protected]> writes:

    >Heating up a batch of clam chowder I whipped up this am and trying
    >desperately to get the feeling back in my poor numb little fingers.

    I know how you feel! While I was out for just an hour earlier today
    some of my toes got so numb I had to soak them in warm water when I got
    home to get the feeling back. It was 8 degrees then, it's -1 now, and
    all I can think about is clam chowder! Yum!

    Stacia

  9. Mr Libido Incognito wrote:

    > With windchill it was -52C here today...My garden is under 3 feet of
    > snow...Jill's butternut squash soup was for lunch.

    0 in Chicago...and I'm thinking of making Jill's cabbage soup over the
    next several days.

    --
    Best
    Greg

  10. In article <[email protected]>,
    zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote:

    > It's -12°F here and still dropping. We had record high temperatures the
    > whole month of January. Not anymore!
    >
    > I hate cold weather.

    But you don't have to shovel it! Oh, wait -- YOU did. "-)
    -B

    --
    http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 2-11-2006, Sausage Roll Ups

  11. MoM

    MoM Guest

    "ntantiques" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Heating up a batch of clam chowder I whipped up this am and trying
    > desperately to get the feeling back in my poor numb little fingers.
    > Arctic Express arrived in Eugene last night - expecting even colder
    > temps tonight, accompanied by wind gusts that should bring it down to
    > around 10-15 degrees. Record low temps. Have been out in the garden
    > clothes-pinning extra nursery cloth around the tenderest plants and
    > battening down extra-warm quarters for our 2 confirmed outdoor cats.
    > Chowder's going to be a real treat! If I had to ride out a Minnesota
    > winter, I'd be living on soup. Warms those frozen cockles right up.
    > Nancy T
    > (who, as a child walked to school through Ohio blizzards, but after 25
    > years in CA, has become a pathetic weather wimp)

    I made a turkey something. I roasted a butterball the other day and this
    morning I stripped it and made a lovely stock, then reduced it... a lot!

    Then I saute'd onion, celery, garlic and red peppers, added the stock and
    some heavy cream. Added mushrooms and mixed veg(frozen) And some diced
    turkey.

    Thickened it with instant flour and added some cooked egg noodles.

    Yum!

    MoM

  12. In article <[email protected]>,
    "MoM" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "ntantiques" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Heating up a batch of clam chowder I whipped up this am and trying
    > > desperately to get the feeling back in my poor numb little fingers.
    > > Arctic Express arrived in Eugene last night - expecting even colder
    > > temps tonight, accompanied by wind gusts that should bring it down to
    > > around 10-15 degrees. Record low temps. Have been out in the garden
    > > clothes-pinning extra nursery cloth around the tenderest plants and
    > > battening down extra-warm quarters for our 2 confirmed outdoor cats.
    > > Chowder's going to be a real treat! If I had to ride out a Minnesota
    > > winter, I'd be living on soup. Warms those frozen cockles right up.
    > > Nancy T
    > > (who, as a child walked to school through Ohio blizzards, but after 25
    > > years in CA, has become a pathetic weather wimp)
    > >

    > I made a turkey something. I roasted a butterball the other day and this
    > morning I stripped it and made a lovely stock, then reduced it... a lot!
    >
    > Then I saute'd onion, celery, garlic and red peppers, added the stock and
    > some heavy cream. Added mushrooms and mixed veg(frozen) And some diced
    > turkey.
    >
    > Thickened it with instant flour and added some cooked egg noodles.
    >
    > Yum!
    >
    > MoM

    Sounds delightful! :)

    I bought a ham the other day and had it sliced.

    I thawed 2 slices yesterday, and today I defatted it and diced it up
    with some onions and leeks.

    I got out the BIG deep cast iron skillet and tossed in the trimmed ham
    fat and 1 lb. of chopped bacon, Fried that up until it was browned then
    drained off the fat. I put the meat aside in a separate bowl.

    I then added a little bit of the bacon/ham liquified fat back to the pan
    and fried the onions and ham until the onions were beginning to clear,
    then added 2 cans of chopped low salt tomatoes, the fried bacon and 2
    cans of Eden black soybeans, some fresh grated ginger, salt free lemon
    pepper, granulated garlic, white pepper, a little Hoisin sauce and some
    soy sauce.

    Cooked that covered for about 15 minutes then put the splatter screen
    over it for about 1/2 hour so it could reduce a bit.

    Nice, rich smokey flavor and the texture of the beans was perfect.

    I don't understand the folks here that turn their noses up at canned
    BLACK soybeans. They are not much different in flavor and texture than
    regular black beans, and they are the lowest carb bean that there is.

    To those of us low carbing, that bean is heaven sent. :)
    --
    Peace, Om.

  13. MoM

    MoM Guest