BRRR Soup Tonight!

ntantiques

Guest
Heating up a batch of clam chowder I whipped up this am and trying
desperately to get the feeling back in my poor numb little fingers.
Arctic Express arrived in Eugene last night - expecting even colder
temps tonight, accompanied by wind gusts that should bring it down to
around 10-15 degrees. Record low temps. Have been out in the garden
clothes-pinning extra nursery cloth around the tenderest plants and
battening down extra-warm quarters for our 2 confirmed outdoor cats.
Chowder's going to be a real treat! If I had to ride out a Minnesota
winter, I'd be living on soup. Warms those frozen cockles right up.
Nancy T
(who, as a child walked to school through Ohio blizzards, but after 25
years in CA, has become a pathetic weather wimp)

ntantiques wrote:
> Heating up a batch of clam chowder I whipped up this am and trying
> desperately to get the feeling back in my poor numb little fingers.
> Arctic Express arrived in Eugene last night - expecting even colder
> temps tonight, accompanied by wind gusts that should bring it down to
> around 10-15 degrees. Record low temps. Have been out in the garden
> clothes-pinning extra nursery cloth around the tenderest plants and
> battening down extra-warm quarters for our 2 confirmed outdoor cats.
> Chowder's going to be a real treat! If I had to ride out a Minnesota
> winter, I'd be living on soup. Warms those frozen cockles right up.
> Nancy T
> (who, as a child walked to school through Ohio blizzards, but after 25
> years in CA, has become a pathetic weather wimp)

It's -12°F here and still dropping. We had record high temperatures the
whole month of January. Not anymore!

I hate cold weather.

Gonna make chili tomorrow. And maybe some peppery fish chowder.

Bob

ntantiques wrote on 17 Feb 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> Heating up a batch of clam chowder I whipped up this am and trying
> desperately to get the feeling back in my poor numb little fingers.
> Arctic Express arrived in Eugene last night - expecting even colder
> temps tonight, accompanied by wind gusts that should bring it down to
> around 10-15 degrees. Record low temps. Have been out in the garden
> clothes-pinning extra nursery cloth around the tenderest plants and
> battening down extra-warm quarters for our 2 confirmed outdoor cats.
> Chowder's going to be a real treat! If I had to ride out a Minnesota
> winter, I'd be living on soup. Warms those frozen cockles right up.
> Nancy T
> (who, as a child walked to school through Ohio blizzards, but after 25
> years in CA, has become a pathetic weather wimp)

With windchill it was -52C here today...My garden is under 3 feet of
snow...Jill's butternut squash soup was for lunch.

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 21:05:40 -0600, zxcvbob <[email protected]>
wrote:

>ntantiques wrote:
>> Heating up a batch of clam chowder I whipped up this am and trying
>> desperately to get the feeling back in my poor numb little fingers.
>> Arctic Express arrived in Eugene last night - expecting even colder
>> temps tonight, accompanied by wind gusts that should bring it down to
>> around 10-15 degrees. Record low temps. Have been out in the garden
>> clothes-pinning extra nursery cloth around the tenderest plants and
>> battening down extra-warm quarters for our 2 confirmed outdoor cats.
>> Chowder's going to be a real treat! If I had to ride out a Minnesota
>> winter, I'd be living on soup. Warms those frozen cockles right up.
>> Nancy T
>> (who, as a child walked to school through Ohio blizzards, but after 25
>> years in CA, has become a pathetic weather wimp)
>>

>It's -12°F here and still dropping. We had record high temperatures the
>whole month of January. Not anymore!
>
>I hate cold weather.
>
>Gonna make chili tomorrow. And maybe some peppery fish chowder.

There was a 40-degree F difference between today's high and
yesterday's high. Things have turned cold out there. I have a tamale
steamer pot of water on the big burner of the stove coming to a boil.
At least I hope it comes to a boil. The house is down right chilly,
and the satellite dish is down for the evening on top of it all.

Maybe some bourbon would help...
--
modom

"My baby's got no clothes
'Cause she's makin' chicken soup."

-- Chuck E. Weiss

"ntantiques" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Heating up a batch of clam chowder I whipped up this am and trying
> desperately to get the feeling back in my poor numb little fingers.
> Arctic Express arrived in Eugene last night - expecting even colder
> temps tonight, accompanied by wind gusts that should bring it down to
> around 10-15 degrees. Record low temps. Have been out in the garden
> clothes-pinning extra nursery cloth around the tenderest plants and
> battening down extra-warm quarters for our 2 confirmed outdoor cats.
> Chowder's going to be a real treat! If I had to ride out a Minnesota
> winter, I'd be living on soup. Warms those frozen cockles right up.
> Nancy T
> (who, as a child walked to school through Ohio blizzards, but after 25
> years in CA, has become a pathetic weather wimp)

After 30 years mostly in CA and Hawaii, who as an older adult remembers as
if it were yesterday, coming into a one-room school room -- no heat except a
little iron pot of a wood stove which the teacher (always female) stoked and
had ready a bucket of water for the kids who had near-frost-bitten fingers.
(24 of us at most, in 6 grades.)
Right now Eugene doesn't sound too good either, and here I am back in
Virginia with cold temps coming in.
Still I wouldn't trade it for California or Hawaii -- I'm here for the
duration.
Stay warm. (I had soup for dinner tonight, too.)
Dee Dee

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 21:05:40 -0600, zxcvbob wrote:

> ntantiques wrote:
> > Nancy T
> > (who, as a child walked to school through Ohio blizzards, but after 25
> > years in CA, has become a pathetic weather wimp)

> It's -12°F here and still dropping. We had record high temperatures the
> whole month of January. Not anymore!
>
> I hate cold weather.

I'm a weather wimp too.... it's 45° tonight, so we ordered WonTon
soup. :)

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 21:15:47 -0600, modom wrote:

> the satellite dish is down for the evenin

Oh, so THAT'S why you were whining about nobody being in the rfc
channel at such an early hour! LOL

"ntantiques" <[email protected]> writes:

>Heating up a batch of clam chowder I whipped up this am and trying
>desperately to get the feeling back in my poor numb little fingers.

I know how you feel! While I was out for just an hour earlier today
some of my toes got so numb I had to soak them in warm water when I got
home to get the feeling back. It was 8 degrees then, it's -1 now, and
all I can think about is clam chowder! Yum!

Stacia

Mr Libido Incognito wrote:

> With windchill it was -52C here today...My garden is under 3 feet of
> snow...Jill's butternut squash soup was for lunch.

0 in Chicago...and I'm thinking of making Jill's cabbage soup over the
next several days.

--
Best
Greg

In article <[email protected]>,
zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote:

> It's -12°F here and still dropping. We had record high temperatures the
> whole month of January. Not anymore!
>
> I hate cold weather.

But you don't have to shovel it! Oh, wait -- YOU did. "-)
-B

--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 2-11-2006, Sausage Roll Ups

"ntantiques" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Heating up a batch of clam chowder I whipped up this am and trying
> desperately to get the feeling back in my poor numb little fingers.
> Arctic Express arrived in Eugene last night - expecting even colder
> temps tonight, accompanied by wind gusts that should bring it down to
> around 10-15 degrees. Record low temps. Have been out in the garden
> clothes-pinning extra nursery cloth around the tenderest plants and
> battening down extra-warm quarters for our 2 confirmed outdoor cats.
> Chowder's going to be a real treat! If I had to ride out a Minnesota
> winter, I'd be living on soup. Warms those frozen cockles right up.
> Nancy T
> (who, as a child walked to school through Ohio blizzards, but after 25
> years in CA, has become a pathetic weather wimp)

I made a turkey something. I roasted a butterball the other day and this
morning I stripped it and made a lovely stock, then reduced it... a lot!

Then I saute'd onion, celery, garlic and red peppers, added the stock and
some heavy cream. Added mushrooms and mixed veg(frozen) And some diced
turkey.

Thickened it with instant flour and added some cooked egg noodles.

Yum!

MoM

In article <[email protected]>,
"MoM" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "ntantiques" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Heating up a batch of clam chowder I whipped up this am and trying
> > desperately to get the feeling back in my poor numb little fingers.
> > Arctic Express arrived in Eugene last night - expecting even colder
> > temps tonight, accompanied by wind gusts that should bring it down to
> > around 10-15 degrees. Record low temps. Have been out in the garden
> > clothes-pinning extra nursery cloth around the tenderest plants and
> > battening down extra-warm quarters for our 2 confirmed outdoor cats.
> > Chowder's going to be a real treat! If I had to ride out a Minnesota
> > winter, I'd be living on soup. Warms those frozen cockles right up.
> > Nancy T
> > (who, as a child walked to school through Ohio blizzards, but after 25
> > years in CA, has become a pathetic weather wimp)
> >

> I made a turkey something. I roasted a butterball the other day and this
> morning I stripped it and made a lovely stock, then reduced it... a lot!
>
> Then I saute'd onion, celery, garlic and red peppers, added the stock and
> some heavy cream. Added mushrooms and mixed veg(frozen) And some diced
> turkey.
>
> Thickened it with instant flour and added some cooked egg noodles.
>
> Yum!
>
> MoM

Sounds delightful! :)

I bought a ham the other day and had it sliced.

I thawed 2 slices yesterday, and today I defatted it and diced it up
with some onions and leeks.

I got out the BIG deep cast iron skillet and tossed in the trimmed ham
fat and 1 lb. of chopped bacon, Fried that up until it was browned then
drained off the fat. I put the meat aside in a separate bowl.

I then added a little bit of the bacon/ham liquified fat back to the pan
and fried the onions and ham until the onions were beginning to clear,
then added 2 cans of chopped low salt tomatoes, the fried bacon and 2
cans of Eden black soybeans, some fresh grated ginger, salt free lemon
pepper, granulated garlic, white pepper, a little Hoisin sauce and some
soy sauce.

Cooked that covered for about 15 minutes then put the splatter screen
over it for about 1/2 hour so it could reduce a bit.

Nice, rich smokey flavor and the texture of the beans was perfect.

I don't understand the folks here that turn their noses up at canned
BLACK soybeans. They are not much different in flavor and texture than
regular black beans, and they are the lowest carb bean that there is.

To those of us low carbing, that bean is heaven sent. :)
--
Peace, Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

news:[email protected]...