Brrrr - cold this morning

David Lloyd

Guest
Been missing a few rides due to wind and rain recently, so I made sure
I was getting one in this morning. I was toasty warm when togged out
in full Assoc Prosline Airblock jacket and longs, Peter Storm thermal
base layer top, Gore balaclava and Altura overshoes and Cresta gloves.
This obviously did nothing to prevent my energy drink from turning
into a SlushPuppy.

Glad I didn't have to scrape the frost off the car :)

David Lloyd

"David Lloyd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Been missing a few rides due to wind and rain recently, so I made sure
> I was getting one in this morning. I was toasty warm when togged out
> in full Assoc Prosline Airblock jacket and longs, Peter Storm thermal
> base layer top, Gore balaclava and Altura overshoes and Cresta gloves.
> This obviously did nothing to prevent my energy drink from turning
> into a SlushPuppy.

Give over! It's not even winter yet ;-)

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

from the cold hard mean streets of Hull.

On Dec 11, 10:30 am, "Simon Mason" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> "David Lloyd" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > This obviously did nothing to prevent my energy drink from turning
> > into a SlushPuppy.

> Give over! It's not even winter yet ;-)

You haven't ridden in cold weather unless you've had your Lucozade
Sport become a solid block of ice. :)

--
Dave...

On Dec 11, 12:57 pm, dkahn400 <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Dec 11, 10:30 am, "Simon Mason" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> > "David Lloyd" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > This obviously did nothing to prevent my energy drink from turning
> > > into a SlushPuppy.

> > Give over! It's not even winter yet ;-)

> You haven't ridden in cold weather unless you've had your Lucozade
> Sport become a solid block of ice. :)

whilst in a camelbak under your coat!

On Dec 11, 10:03 am, David Lloyd <[email protected]> wrote:
> Been missing a few rides due to wind and rain recently, so I made sure
> I was getting one in this morning. I was toasty warm when togged out
> in full Assoc Prosline Airblock jacket and longs, Peter Storm thermal
> base layer top, Gore balaclava and Altura overshoes and Cresta gloves.
> This obviously did nothing to prevent my energy drink from turning
> into a SlushPuppy.
>
> Glad I didn't have to scrape the frost off the car :)

I don't think it was that cold here in North Wales today - chilly and
there were a couple of patches of ice on the road - but no ice on the
cars and didn't feel superchilled.

I recently bought a Polaris long sleeved top which kept my top half
toasty, legs were kept warm by bodily hair but my feet were like
blocks of ice as usual! At least it wasn't wet today.

peter

"Trevor A Panther" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> After enforced days at home -- parcel deliveries, house repairs, gale
> force winds -- I was out today enjoying the sunshine and did my standard
> 20 mile circuit, including a call into Doncaster market for meat, live
> crabs and mussels!

How exactly does one carry live crabs on a bicycle?

Jim J

"David Lloyd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Been missing a few rides due to wind and rain recently, so I made sure
> I was getting one in this morning. I was toasty warm when togged out
> in full Assoc Prosline Airblock jacket and longs, Peter Storm thermal
> base layer top, Gore balaclava and Altura overshoes and Cresta gloves.
> This obviously did nothing to prevent my energy drink from turning
> into a SlushPuppy.
>
> Glad I didn't have to scrape the frost off the car :)
>
> David Lloyd

After cycling to the location of the cycle/ped count, which took 45mins, I
was toasty warm for about half an hour, but then got progressively colder
and colder. After my stint of 90mins, my feet and tips of fingers were
numb. To add to the problem, the 3 mile ride to the office was all
downhill, so I was cycling with the brakes on just to generate some heat
from pedalling. Had to spend 15 mins in the shower at work to defrost. I
was wearing a tee-shirt, sweatshirt, cycling top, jacket, fluorescent
jacket, thermal longs, two pairs of socks, thermal gloves and a thermal hat.

Next time they want a count in December between 7:30 and 9 they can do it
themselves.

Jim wrote:
> "Trevor A Panther" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> After enforced days at home -- parcel deliveries, house repairs, gale
>> force winds -- I was out today enjoying the sunshine and did my standard
>> 20 mile circuit, including a call into Doncaster market for meat, live
>> crabs and mussels!

> How exactly does one carry live crabs on a bicycle?

Carefully?

"Jim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Trevor A Panther" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> After enforced days at home -- parcel deliveries, house repairs, gale force
>> winds -- I was out today enjoying the sunshine and did my standard 20 mile
>> circuit, including a call into Doncaster market for meat, live crabs and
>> mussels!

> How exactly does one carry live crabs on a bicycle?
>
> Jim J

Ah , there's a case in point , but the carrying in a rear pannier is easy --
the difficult bit is making sure your fingers or thumbs don't get trapped
while stuffing the double plastic bag into an already over full pannier!

I have only been "clamped" severely once -- about 3 months ago -- and, what
with the pincers being wrapped on volumes of plastic bags, I enlivened an
early morning market with various cries of " oh gosh", " my my" until my
fishmonger supplier managed to tear the offending "live pincer" off. My thumb
was more than sore for the next six weeks!

But I had my revenge!! I cooked her and ate her!!!!!!! and the throbbing
thumb added flavour to my crab salad!

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,

Jim <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Trevor A Panther" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > After enforced days at home -- parcel deliveries, house repairs, gale
> > force winds -- I was out today enjoying the sunshine and did my standard
> > 20 mile circuit, including a call into Doncaster market for meat, live
> > crabs and mussels!

> How exactly does one carry live crabs on a bicycle?

Well away from the spare inner tubes.

Luke

exile in Lancashire <http://www.shrimper.org.uk>

Trevor A Panther <[email protected]> wrote:

> I have only been "clamped" severely once -- about 3 months ago -- and, what
> with the pincers being wrapped on volumes of plastic bags, I enlivened an
> early morning market with various cries of " oh gosh", " my my" until my
> fishmonger supplier managed to tear the offending "live pincer" off. My thumb
> was more than sore for the next six weeks!

You have a fishmonger supplier? Could you get them to supply Preston
with a good fishmonger?

Cheers,
Luke

exile in Lancashire <http://www.shrimper.org.uk>

"David Lloyd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Been missing a few rides due to wind and rain recently, so I made sure
> I was getting one in this morning. I was toasty warm when togged out
> in full Assoc Prosline Airblock jacket and longs, Peter Storm thermal
> base layer top, Gore balaclava and Altura overshoes and Cresta gloves.
> This obviously did nothing to prevent my energy drink from turning
> into a SlushPuppy.
>
> Glad I didn't have to scrape the frost off the car :)
>
> David Lloyd

Yes it was a little chilly this morning. I cycled to work with a cycling
jacket over a T shirt (had gloves and a fleece hat as well). Prefer it to
the wet windy humid rubbish we had last week.

Good thing about the cold crisp days is that sweating is much reduced.

Adam

On Dec 11, 9:34 pm, "Jim" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Trevor A Panther" <[email protected]> wrote in messagenews:[email protected]...> After enforced days at home -- parcel deliveries, house repairs, gale
> > force winds -- I was out today enjoying the sunshine and did my standard
> > 20 mile circuit, including a call into Doncaster market for meat, live
> > crabs and mussels!

> How exactly does one carry live crabs on a bicycle?

shirley a question for urbancyclist-uk?

My suggestion would be safely lodged in your pubic hair :)

scratch scratch
james

Simon Mason wrote:

> "David Lloyd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> Been missing a few rides due to wind and rain recently, so I made sure
>> I was getting one in this morning. I was toasty warm when togged out
>> in full Assoc Prosline Airblock jacket and longs, Peter Storm thermal
>> base layer top, Gore balaclava and Altura overshoes and Cresta gloves.
>> This obviously did nothing to prevent my energy drink from turning
>> into a SlushPuppy.

> Give over! It's not even winter yet ;-)

We are past the earliest sunset 7-dec, so I'm looking forward to spring.

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 10:30:23 +0000
Nick <[email protected]> wrote:

> We are past the earliest sunset 7-dec, so I'm looking forward to
> spring.

Wherezat? Earliest sunset here is tomorrow.

--
not me guv

Nick <[email protected]> writes:

> We are past the earliest sunset 7-dec, so I'm looking forward to spring.

You might be a little premature: it's more like the 14th in these parts.

"Esra Sdrawkcab" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Jim wrote:
>> "Trevor A Panther" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> After enforced days at home -- parcel deliveries, house repairs, gale
>>> force winds -- I was out today enjoying the sunshine and did my standard
>>> 20 mile circuit, including a call into Doncaster market for meat, live
>>> crabs and mussels!

>> How exactly does one carry live crabs on a bicycle?
>>

> Carefully?

Using pubic transport.

I'll get me coat....

On 11 Dec, 22:06, [email protected] (Ekul
Namsob) wrote:
> Jim <[email protected]> wrote:
> > "Trevor A Panther" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
> > > After enforced days at home -- parcel deliveries, house repairs, gale
> > > force winds -- I was out today enjoying the sunshine and did my standard
> > > 20 mile circuit, including a call into Doncaster market for meat, live
> > > crabs and mussels!

> > How exactly does one carry live crabs on a bicycle?

> Well away from the spare inner tubes.

Thus to avoid pinch punctures. ;-) Whatever the weather, it would be
nippy.

David Lloyd

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Dec 11, 9:34 pm, "Jim" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> "Trevor A Panther" <[email protected]> wrote in
>> messagenews:[email protected]...> After
>> enforced days at home -- parcel deliveries, house repairs, gale
>> > force winds -- I was out today enjoying the sunshine and did my standard
>> > 20 mile circuit, including a call into Doncaster market for meat, live
>> > crabs and mussels!

>> How exactly does one carry live crabs on a bicycle?

> shirley a question for urbancyclist-uk?
>
> My suggestion would be safely lodged in your pubic hair :)
>
> scratch scratch
> james

It brings to mind an oft seen "quotation" inscribed as graffiti on toilet
walls

"One would think with all this wit
that Shakespeare himself had come here to s*it."

I shall not dare to say how crabby I am feeling today though!

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,
England, United Kingdom.
www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

"Trevor A Panther" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> On Dec 11, 9:34 pm, "Jim" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> "Trevor A Panther" <[email protected]> wrote in
>>> messagenews:[email protected]...> After
>>> enforced days at home -- parcel deliveries, house repairs, gale
>>>
>>> How exactly does one carry live crabs on a bicycle?

>> shirley a question for urbancyclist-uk?
>>
>> My suggestion would be safely lodged in your pubic hair :)
>>
>> scratch scratch
>> james
>>

> It brings to mind an oft seen "quotation" inscribed as graffiti on toilet
> walls
>
> "One would think with all this wit
> that Shakespeare himself had come here to s*it."
>
> I shall not dare to say how crabby I am feeling today though!

A toilet poem that I've not seen in a long time...

It's no good standing on the seat
The crabs in here can jump six feet
An if you think that's rather high
Go next door - the b*sta*ds fly