BRRRR! Pot roast!

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by jmcquown, Dec 5, 2005.

  1. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    It's under 40F degrees outside and this is the perfect weather for a pot
    roast. So I put a 3 lb. chuck roast in a porcelain oven-safe pot with a
    lid. 2 c. beef broth, 1/4 c. minced onion, 3 cloves minced garlic, 2 large
    bay leaves, a dash or two of Tabasco sauce, 1/2 c. tawny port. My version
    of "hot & sour" LOL It's in the oven now, covered, to cook on low heat,
    about 300F, until tender (4-5 hours).

    I'm not doing the "traditional" pot roast with potatoes and carrots; I
    actually don't care much for that. I prefer potatoes roasted on the side
    and don't care much for carrots although they do add a nice taste to stew.
    But this isn't stew. I will thicken the gravy with a cornstarch slurry if
    necessary after the roast is falling-apart tender. Cooked rice or egg
    noodles could be a side if I'm so inclined.

    I've got all sorts of frozen veggies I can steam to go along with the roast.
    I have frozen spinach; frozen broccoli florets; frozen brussels sprouts;
    frozen green beans; frozen turnip greens; frozen yellow squash. I also have
    some canned stuff - canned golden hominy tossed with the last of my grated
    colby/jack cheese and sprinkled with dried ancho peppers might be a nice and
    different side dish.

    Jill

    Tags:

  2. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote

    > It's under 40F degrees outside and this is the perfect weather for a pot
    > roast. So I put a 3 lb. chuck roast in a porcelain oven-safe pot with a
    > lid. 2 c. beef broth, 1/4 c. minced onion, 3 cloves minced garlic, 2
    > large
    > bay leaves, a dash or two of Tabasco sauce, 1/2 c. tawny port.

    And it's because you said Pot Roast that I am having that tomorrow
    for dinner. Picked up a nice one when I was getting the ingredients for
    tonight's meatloaf. Mine will be the usual with potatoes and carrots.

    Stupid store didn't have any ground pork or meatloaf mix. Since I'd
    already grabbed a couple of hot italian sausage packages (on sale, of
    course), I decided to use them in place of the ground pork, mixed with
    ground beef. Should be good. Served with baked potato.

    Hey, it's going to snow tonight, I have to make sure I have enough food
    to last me until Christmas, right?

    nancy

  3. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Nancy Young wrote:
    > "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    >> It's under 40F degrees outside and this is the perfect weather for a
    >> pot roast. So I put a 3 lb. chuck roast in a porcelain oven-safe
    >> pot with a lid. 2 c. beef broth, 1/4 c. minced onion, 3 cloves
    >> minced garlic, 2 large
    >> bay leaves, a dash or two of Tabasco sauce, 1/2 c. tawny port.

    > And it's because you said Pot Roast that I am having that tomorrow
    > for dinner. Picked up a nice one when I was getting the ingredients
    > for tonight's meatloaf. Mine will be the usual with potatoes and
    > carrots.

    My pot roast still has a couple of hours to go. I'm not in any hurry;
    probably won't eat it until tomorrow anyway. But oooh boy does it smell
    good in here!

    > Stupid store didn't have any ground pork or meatloaf mix. Since I'd
    > already grabbed a couple of hot italian sausage packages (on sale, of
    > course), I decided to use them in place of the ground pork, mixed with
    > ground beef. Should be good. Served with baked potato.

    Sounds like it will be a nice tasty meat loaf!

    > Hey, it's going to snow tonight, I have to make sure I have enough
    > food to last me until Christmas, right?
    >
    > nancy

    Hell yeah... you might find yourself snowed in and we wouldn't want to find
    out you had to turn to cannibalism before the April thaw! :)

    Jill

  4. jmcquown wrote:
    > It's under 40F degrees outside and this is the perfect weather for a pot
    > roast. So I put a 3 lb. chuck roast in a porcelain oven-safe pot with a
    > lid. 2 c. beef broth, 1/4 c. minced onion, 3 cloves minced garlic, 2 large
    > bay leaves, a dash or two of Tabasco sauce, 1/2 c. tawny port. My version
    > of "hot & sour" LOL It's in the oven now, covered, to cook on low heat,
    > about 300F, until tender (4-5 hours).
    >
    > I'm not doing the "traditional" pot roast with potatoes and carrots; I
    > actually don't care much for that. I prefer potatoes roasted on the side
    > and don't care much for carrots although they do add a nice taste to stew.
    > But this isn't stew. I will thicken the gravy with a cornstarch slurry if
    > necessary after the roast is falling-apart tender. Cooked rice or egg
    > noodles could be a side if I'm so inclined.
    >
    > I've got all sorts of frozen veggies I can steam to go along with the roast.
    > I have frozen spinach; frozen broccoli florets; frozen brussels sprouts;
    > frozen green beans; frozen turnip greens; frozen yellow squash. I also have
    > some canned stuff - canned golden hominy tossed with the last of my grated
    > colby/jack cheese and sprinkled with dried ancho peppers might be a nice and
    > different side dish.
    >
    > Jill

    I made a pot roast today, too! (eating it right now, actually :) )
    I thicken my gravy with beurre manie, and cook the potatoes separately
    and add them in when I reheat to serve. mmmmmmm! chuck roast has been
    expensive lately, so this is the first pot roast of the year. mmmmm!

    --

    saerah

    -Baruch Spinoza

    -Douglas Adams