BRRRR! Pot roast!

jmcquown

Guest
It's under 40F degrees outside and this is the perfect weather for a pot
roast. So I put a 3 lb. chuck roast in a porcelain oven-safe pot with a
lid. 2 c. beef broth, 1/4 c. minced onion, 3 cloves minced garlic, 2 large
bay leaves, a dash or two of Tabasco sauce, 1/2 c. tawny port. My version
of "hot & sour" LOL It's in the oven now, covered, to cook on low heat,
about 300F, until tender (4-5 hours).

I'm not doing the "traditional" pot roast with potatoes and carrots; I
actually don't care much for that. I prefer potatoes roasted on the side
and don't care much for carrots although they do add a nice taste to stew.
But this isn't stew. I will thicken the gravy with a cornstarch slurry if
necessary after the roast is falling-apart tender. Cooked rice or egg
noodles could be a side if I'm so inclined.

I've got all sorts of frozen veggies I can steam to go along with the roast.
I have frozen spinach; frozen broccoli florets; frozen brussels sprouts;
frozen green beans; frozen turnip greens; frozen yellow squash. I also have
some canned stuff - canned golden hominy tossed with the last of my grated
colby/jack cheese and sprinkled with dried ancho peppers might be a nice and
different side dish.

Jill

"jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote

> It's under 40F degrees outside and this is the perfect weather for a pot
> roast. So I put a 3 lb. chuck roast in a porcelain oven-safe pot with a
> lid. 2 c. beef broth, 1/4 c. minced onion, 3 cloves minced garlic, 2
> large
> bay leaves, a dash or two of Tabasco sauce, 1/2 c. tawny port.

And it's because you said Pot Roast that I am having that tomorrow
for dinner. Picked up a nice one when I was getting the ingredients for
tonight's meatloaf. Mine will be the usual with potatoes and carrots.

Stupid store didn't have any ground pork or meatloaf mix. Since I'd
already grabbed a couple of hot italian sausage packages (on sale, of
course), I decided to use them in place of the ground pork, mixed with
ground beef. Should be good. Served with baked potato.

Hey, it's going to snow tonight, I have to make sure I have enough food
to last me until Christmas, right?

nancy

Nancy Young wrote:
> "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>> It's under 40F degrees outside and this is the perfect weather for a
>> pot roast. So I put a 3 lb. chuck roast in a porcelain oven-safe
>> pot with a lid. 2 c. beef broth, 1/4 c. minced onion, 3 cloves
>> minced garlic, 2 large
>> bay leaves, a dash or two of Tabasco sauce, 1/2 c. tawny port.

> And it's because you said Pot Roast that I am having that tomorrow
> for dinner. Picked up a nice one when I was getting the ingredients
> for tonight's meatloaf. Mine will be the usual with potatoes and
> carrots.

My pot roast still has a couple of hours to go. I'm not in any hurry;
probably won't eat it until tomorrow anyway. But oooh boy does it smell
good in here!

> Stupid store didn't have any ground pork or meatloaf mix. Since I'd
> already grabbed a couple of hot italian sausage packages (on sale, of
> course), I decided to use them in place of the ground pork, mixed with
> ground beef. Should be good. Served with baked potato.

Sounds like it will be a nice tasty meat loaf!

> Hey, it's going to snow tonight, I have to make sure I have enough
> food to last me until Christmas, right?
>
> nancy

Hell yeah... you might find yourself snowed in and we wouldn't want to find
out you had to turn to cannibalism before the April thaw! :)

Jill

jmcquown wrote:
> It's under 40F degrees outside and this is the perfect weather for a pot
> roast. So I put a 3 lb. chuck roast in a porcelain oven-safe pot with a
> lid. 2 c. beef broth, 1/4 c. minced onion, 3 cloves minced garlic, 2 large
> bay leaves, a dash or two of Tabasco sauce, 1/2 c. tawny port. My version
> of "hot & sour" LOL It's in the oven now, covered, to cook on low heat,
> about 300F, until tender (4-5 hours).
>
> I'm not doing the "traditional" pot roast with potatoes and carrots; I
> actually don't care much for that. I prefer potatoes roasted on the side
> and don't care much for carrots although they do add a nice taste to stew.
> But this isn't stew. I will thicken the gravy with a cornstarch slurry if
> necessary after the roast is falling-apart tender. Cooked rice or egg
> noodles could be a side if I'm so inclined.
>
> I've got all sorts of frozen veggies I can steam to go along with the roast.
> I have frozen spinach; frozen broccoli florets; frozen brussels sprouts;
> frozen green beans; frozen turnip greens; frozen yellow squash. I also have
> some canned stuff - canned golden hominy tossed with the last of my grated
> colby/jack cheese and sprinkled with dried ancho peppers might be a nice and
> different side dish.
>
> Jill

I made a pot roast today, too! (eating it right now, actually :) )
I thicken my gravy with beurre manie, and cook the potatoes separately
and add them in when I reheat to serve. mmmmmmm! chuck roast has been
expensive lately, so this is the first pot roast of the year. mmmmm!

--

saerah

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams