Bruise on ball of foot

Woofer

Dec 31, 2004
I am not sure what caused this, but for the past two weeks I have had this bruise on the ball of my foot that doesn't appear to change. Have not increased duration or intensity of rides, and have ridden a lot more than this without issue and have never had this issue before. Same shoes that I've used for two years as well, no change in equipment. Any thoughts? It's not painful but noticeable when pressing foot down.

Hmm that's interesting one I must admit check out this link for hot foot I did for pez http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/default.asp?pg=fullstory&id=4249 that may help but it doesnt seem to me to be the issue I would have to see the color change and do an exam to tell you exactly. Have you had any changes in power or type of training? Any history of diabeties, autoimune or heart disease? any sensation changes numbness tingling etc. with it? Of course I think you should see a doctor about this and this is.

Woofer said:
I am not sure what caused this, but for the past two weeks I have had this bruise on the ball of my foot that doesn't appear to change. Have not increased duration or intensity of rides, and have ridden a lot more than this without issue and have never had this issue before. Same shoes that I've used for two years as well, no change in equipment. Any thoughts? It's not painful but noticeable when pressing foot down.

recoverydoc said:
Hmm that's interesting one I must admit check out this link for hot foot I did for pez http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/default.asp?pg=fullstory&id=4249 that may help but it doesnt seem to me to be the issue I would have to see the color change and do an exam to tell you exactly. Have you had any changes in power or type of training? Any history of diabeties, autoimune or heart disease? any sensation changes numbness tingling etc. with it? Of course I think you should see a doctor about this and this is.
Thank you for your tips. I did see a doctor for something else today and mentioned this foot problem and his initial diagnosis was Metatarslgia as you listed. He said there was a noticeable thickening of the skin at the place I indicated. I use Speedplay pedals and have the cleats set all the way back already. No diabetes or heart disease or autoimmune. Since my feet get cold easily, I have been using two pairs of socks for a large part of the year for where I live but have been doing this practice for a decade. Maybe I could try one pair again.

Woofer said:
Thank you for your tips. I did see a doctor for something else today and mentioned this foot problem and his initial diagnosis was Metatarslgia as you listed. He said there was a noticeable thickening of the skin at the place I indicated. I use Speedplay pedals and have the cleats set all the way back already. No diabetes or heart disease or autoimmune. Since my feet get cold easily, I have been using two pairs of socks for a large part of the year for where I live but have been doing this practice for a decade. Maybe I could try one pair again.
You could have a small muscle tear that continually gets reagrivated as it is a high use area. I had a similar problem at the area up near my heel at the start of the arch. It was caused by running but took ages to go away. Didn't hurt much but there was bruising.

I should have said that the injury/aggravation had been there longer than two weeks but had gotten worse in the past two weeks and the clue in your article about thinner socks made me try going with one pair of cycling socks instead of two and seems to have made things get much better without riding less. Thanks again for your advice and everyone elses suggestions as well. Weird that I have been using two pair for a few years and only recently started giving me trouble.

As you get older your medial arch tends to decrease and your ability to maintain fluid levels decrease ( i.e. swelling with heat) this extends the size of the foot a bit and you can compress the metatarsals in the toe box

How is it doing by the way

Woofer said:
I should have said that the injury/aggravation had been there longer than two weeks but had gotten worse in the past two weeks and the clue in your article about thinner socks made me try going with one pair of cycling socks instead of two and seems to have made things get much better without riding less. Thanks again for your advice and everyone elses suggestions as well. Weird that I have been using two pair for a few years and only recently started giving me trouble.

recoverydoc said:
How is it doing by the way
Much better, can walk without feeling something squishy in the ball of my foot, and cycling is almost without any out of the ordinary feeling.